Professional Web Applications Themes

Extract separate pages of a pdf file - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Is there any way that I can "automatically" separate a 60 page pdf file into 60 separate pdf files? This is a function that I will use a lot. If there is not a way to do it in Acrobat 6, is there a "plug-in" that will automate the process? Thanks,...

Default Extract separate pages of a pdf file

Is there any way that I can "automatically" separate a 60 page pdf file into 60 separate pdf files? This is a function that I will use a lot. If there is not a way to do it in Acrobat 6, is there a "plug-in" that will automate the process?

Thanks,
    Barbara_Shaw@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Extract separate pages of a pdf file

We make two plug-ins that can do this. ARTS Split & Merge Lite/Plus - both of which can be automated through Acrobat's batch processing. There are demo versions available so you can try it. <http://www.artspdf.com/arts_split_and_merge.asp>
    Gary_A.@adobeforums.com Guest

[email]Barbara_Shawadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    > Is there any way that I can "automatically" separate a 60 page pdf file into 60 separate pdf files? This is a function that I will use a lot. If there is not a way to do it in Acrobat 6, is there a "plug-in" that will automate the process?
    >
    > Thanks,
    If you don't find a suitable Acorbat-based solution, try pdftk. It is a
    stand-alone command line tool with a "burst" feature that does exactly
    what you describe. The command would look like this:

pdftk input.pdf burst

Download pdftk from [url]www.AccessPDF.com/pdftk/[/url]. It is free software.

Sid Steward
    Sid_Steward@adobeforums.com Guest

This was made to extract page ranges but I've used it to extract page by page as well.
    This line:

/C/Doents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/ExtractFolder/...

which occurs twice in my script looks for a folder called "ExtractFolder" on the Desktop. You'll need to change this path occurding to where your folder is located. Let me know if this works for you.
    Here is the script:

/* Extract Pages to Folder */
    /* This script allows you to break down a long pdf file into smaller sections */
    /* You can choose how many pages per doent */
    /* This script uses the base file name and appends the page numbers too it. */
    /* You choose the starting page number for the name and the script numbers the rest accordingly. */
    /* You have to have a folder named "ExtractFolder" on the desktop or the script will not work. */
    /* This can easily be adapted for use on a Mac by changing the path to the "ExtractFolder" */
    /* For Mac Use, cPath: ":ExtractFolder:"+filename+"_" + global.preZero+(start_page_extract+initialPage)+"-"+global.endZero+(end_page+initialPage)+".pdf" */

function addZeros(addZeroTo,startOrEnd){
    addZeroTo=addZeroTo+'';
    var numOfPages=this.numPages;
    var desiredNumLength=initialPage+numOfPages;
    desiredLengthString=desiredNumLength+''; // this converts desiredNumLength to a string
    dnl=desiredLengthString.length-addZeroTo.length;

global.zerostring='';
    for (var zeros=0; zeros<dnl; zeros++){ global.zerostring=global.zerostring+"0"; } switch (startOrEnd){ case "start": global.preZero=global.zerostring; break; case "end": global.endZero=global.zerostring; break; } }

var cResponse = app.response({ cQuestion: "The default page range is 20 pages. How many would you like?", cTitle:
    "Page Range", cDefault: "20" });

if ( cResponse == null || cResponse == 0){
    app.alert("You've either chosen to \"Cancel\" or you selected \"0\" as a page range.",3);

}else{

var aResponse = app.response({ cQuestion: "What is the initial page number? The default is 1.", cTitle:
    "Initial Page Number", cDefault: "1" });
    if ( aResponse == null || aResponse == 0){
    app.alert("You've either chosen to \"Cancel\" or you selected \"0\" as the first page.",3);
    }
    else{

pageRange=pInt(cResponse);
    pageRangeMinus=pageRange-1;

initialPage=pInt(aResponse);

// regular expression acquire the base name of file
    var re = /.*\/|\.pdf$/ig;
    // filename is the base name of the file Acrobat is working on

var filename = this.path.replace(re,"");

try {

for (var start_page_extract = 0; start_page_extract < this.numPages; start_page_extract=start_page_extract+pageRange){

if (start_page_extract+pageRangeMinus>=this.numPages) {
    var end_page=this.numPages-1;
    }else
    var end_page=start_page_extract+pageRangeMinus;

if (start_page_extract+pageRangeMinus>=this.numPages) {
    addZeros((start_page_extract+initialPage),"start") ;
    addZeros((end_page+initialPage),"end");
    this.extractPages(
    {
    nStart: start_page_extract,
    nEnd: this.numPages-1,
    cPath: "/C/Doents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/ExtractFolder/"+filename+"_" + global.preZero+(start_page_extract+initialPage)+"-"+global.endZero+(end_page+initialPage)+".pdf"
    });
    }
    addZeros((start_page_extract+initialPage),"start") ;
    addZeros((end_page+initialPage),"end");
    this.extractPages(
    {
    nStart: start_page_extract,
    nEnd: start_page_extract+pageRangeMinus,
    cPath: "/C/Doents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/ExtractFolder/"+filename+"_" + global.preZero+(start_page_extract+initialPage)+"-"+global.endZero+(end_page+initialPage)+".pdf"
    });

}

}catch (e) {
    console.println("Aborted: "+e)
    }
    }
    }
    William Hopkins Guest

By the way this needs to be created as a batch file. I did this in 5.0
    William Hopkins Guest

Quote Originally Posted by William Hopkins View Post
    By the way this needs to be created as a batch file. I did this in 5.0
    Your script is exactly what I'm looking for to split a long pdf into separately numbered files. Is there a chance you could talk me through this as I'm not getting anywhere. I've updated the path in your script to match the location of ExtractFolder on my desktop, selected Batch Sequences/New Sequence/given it a name/selected Execute JavaScript from the list of commands/chosen 'Files open in Acrobat' as option 2 (run commands on...files on in acrobat) and run the script. All that happens is that the original pdf ends up unchanged in ExtractFolder. Any help greatly appreciated.
    bertiewooster is offline Junior Member