Professional Web Applications Themes

Extreme random distorted color banding across image files! - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Please help. It is as if there is a virus that is randomly destroying my image files. When I display them in Photoshop there appears thick or thin bands of bright flat colors, completely destorying the file. If I save-as another file format, the color bands are saved with the file. Not happening to all the files, it appears totally random. In some cases a file was OK one day, then bad the next time I opened it. One batch of 20 files may have 2 to 4 files with this problem, other folders have none. The problems are affecting ...

  1. #1

    Default Extreme random distorted color banding across image files!

    Please help. It is as if there is a virus that is randomly destroying my image files. When I display them in Photoshop there appears thick or thin bands of bright flat colors, completely destorying the file. If I save-as another file format, the color bands are saved with the file. Not happening to all the files, it appears totally random. In some cases a file was OK one day, then bad the next time I opened it. One batch of 20 files may have 2 to 4 files with this problem, other folders have none. The problems are affecting both images taken months ago and brought over on the new PC and ones that were recently taken.

    All pics were taken with a Canon EOS 10D.

    I ran virus scans and have no virues. This is a new PC I recently built running XP Pro SP1. It is a P4 3.0 GHz with 2 gig og DDR400 ram.

    Any help would be greatkey appreciated. I am afraid to open any images.

    Thanks
    harrillj@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    ...show us one of these images.
    hot_denim@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sounds like file corruption. Could be HDD, IDE controller or cables....

    Worth running a full scan disk and ensuring the HDD cables are fully plugged
    in.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    try opening with other image editor (if in suitable file format) and see what shows.

    Dont be afraid to OPEN, as this will not cause a modification to the data (if not virus). Just dont re-save, or move the files.
    hot_denim@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    as a precaution to do RIGHT NOW.

    Use WINZIP or something to ZIP up all the files into a archive file format. If there is a virus thats after image files, the archive file will protect it/conceal the files. If there is curruption taking place, if it happens to the zip file then Winzip WILL tell you.

    Archiving is a Read operation to the source files, (so unless virus intercepts the read request and attempt modifiction) there will be no modification to the source data, even with bad hardware.
    hot_denim@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I agree w/len. sounds like some sort of corruption. check all the cables to make sure they're secure. check all cards and memory dimms to make sure they're seated properly and fully. especially in a new machine. "some settling may occur".
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks to all. Another forum also suggested that I look at the ram, as it sounded like a ram problem.

    I see the same problem in my RAW application called DSLR by Capture One.
    harrillj@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    could also be ram. here's a good rule of thumb for file distortions:

    Chris Cox - 01:17pm Feb 7, 2003 Pacific (#7 of 15)

    If you zoom in and they go away, it's probably the video card.

    If you zoom in and out and they change, it's probably bad RAM.

    If the image looks fine, you save it, then reload it and it's corrupted
    - then it's probably the hard disk.

    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I had the same problem on my last (old) computer. I added a second HD. Photo files saved on second HD files are fine, problem never occurs. Still can't save to C drive. Makes me believe it is a bad HD. In my case Photoshop even gave me a message saying it was hard drive or cable to HD problem.
    Q_Photo@adobeforums.com Guest