Professional Web Applications Themes

Eyedropper warning low res RGB proxy - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello, I'm getting a warning message when using the eyedropper: "Warning. Image is a vector graphic. Eyedropper values based on low resolution RGB proxy." The images in question are indeed vector images. They are built in Illustrator CS with a "Doent Color Mode" of CMYK, not RGB. Back in InDesign, after getting the warning, if I change the color sliders from RGB back to CMYK, the color is close to but not the same as the CMYK numbers in the original image (in Illustrator). Am I doing something wrong? If not, why cannot InDesign read the color in vector images ...

  1. #1

    Default Eyedropper warning re: low res RGB proxy

    Hello,

    I'm getting a warning message when using the eyedropper: "Warning. Image is a vector graphic. Eyedropper values based on low resolution RGB proxy."

    The images in question are indeed vector images. They are built in Illustrator CS with a "Doent Color Mode" of CMYK, not RGB.

    Back in InDesign, after getting the warning, if I change the color sliders from RGB back to CMYK, the color is close to but not the same as the CMYK numbers in the original image (in Illustrator).

    Am I doing something wrong? If not, why cannot InDesign read the color in vector images properly?

    I am using CS everything, color-managed with "US Prepress Defaults", on Windows XP Professional.

    Any thoughts are appreciated. jk
    Janine_Kennedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Eyedropper warning re: low res RGB proxy

    Because vector images contain descriptions of how to build objects which can be much more complex than bitmapped images.

    In a bitmapped image, the app just has to go to a particular x,y location on the bitmap and read the pixel value. In a vector image, the vector description has to be processed (much like a printer would process it) which is much more processor intensive.

    I'm assuming that this is probably an EPS file, right? When you place the EPS, choose Show Import Options and choose the option to Rasterize the PostScript. This takes the time so InDesign can process the vectors. When you place that you'll get an excellent preview, and I don't think you'll see that message when you use the Eyedropper tool.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, what quick service! :-)

    I'm actually placing the Illustrator file as is (filename.ai). I guess this is a no-no. I tried placing the .ai again with "Show Import Options" and it does not give me the rasterize option. So I saved my Illustrator file as .eps and placed it, following your directions. You are correct, no more warning with the eyedropper. However, the CMYK values are still a little strange. For example, M=47.84 when 48 on the nose is what it is in Illustrator.

    This may not be a big deal in the big scheme of things. However, precision feels better! Any thoughts?

    Thanks for your response, by the way. Very helpful. jk
    Janine_Kennedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hmmm. I don't think you'd be able to see the difference printed between M=47.84 and M=48! Sounds like a rounding error to me. Don't worry about it.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Yeah, you're right. Thanks for your comments and help on this one! jk
    Janine_Kennedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm actually placing the Illustrator file as is (filename.ai). I guess
    this is a no-no.

    No, that's perfect. Do it that way. Just apprecieate that you can't use the eyedropped to sample colours, so either remember the colour (or check) in Illustrator, or accept the CMYK > RGB > CMYK conversion inaccuracies.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Janine,

    Nothing wrong with placing AI files instead of EPS; I prefer it, because ID can colour-manage placed AI files, whereas it can't colour-manage placed EPS files. Besides which, you may have noticed that the on-screen previews of AI files are cleaner-looking than those of EPS files, without annoying dithering.

    If you want to pull a precise CMYK value from a placed AI (or EPS), don't use the eyedropper. Instead, activate the output preview window and choose separations, which allows you to preview all printing plates in hi-res. If you move the pointer over the EPS colour you want, it will give you the precise CMYK mix of the object underneath. Use these values to define your new colour in ID.

    The reason your eyedropper-sampled values are close but no cigar is because the original CMYK numbers have been converted to RGB for use in the proxy, which are then converted back to CMYK again after you sample the preview image and convert in ID. Converting back and forth between colour spaces always shifts the colours slightly. Also, if you're saving EPS, the on-screen RGB proxy has picked only the closest match to your original CMYK colour in its 256-colour palette and is not a direct translation.

    Colour management--you learn to love it.
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Shane,

    Thank you for introducing me to the output preview window! I followed your instructions and it did exactly what you said it would. Completely made my day.

    I am very new to color management. The precision is what I'm drawn to, but I confess to being confused most of the time, and I often turn it off. Do you know of any good places I can go to learn this stuff?

    Thanks again for your explanation. jk
    Janine_Kennedy@adobeforums.com Guest