Professional Web Applications Themes

F12 doesn't quite work - PHP Development

I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files (PHP) don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time. Now, it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s). Any advice? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default F12 doesn't quite work

    I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files (PHP)
    don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time. Now,
    it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s). Any
    advice?

    Thanks in advance.

    mimages Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: F12 doesn't quite work

    "mimages" <mimagesNOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message
    news:Yi5db.34607$Ci5.805282twister.tampabay.rr.co m...
    > I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files (PHP)
    > don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time.
    Now,
    > it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s). Any
    > advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    What on earth are you talking about with regards to F12? You'll have to put
    more meat on the bones of your question...

    And what do you mean that the included files don't get included?

    If you expect to "View Source" on your browser, and be able to see your PHP
    code, then then there's nothing wrong. PHP is a server side language that
    gets pd *on the server* and you see the results *on the client*.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

    Randell D. Guest

  3. #3

    I noticed that Message-ID: <hO8db.18572$O85.7122pd7tw1no> from Randell
    D. contained the following:
    >What on earth are you talking about with regards to F12? You'll have to put
    >more meat on the bones of your question...
    It could be a reference to Dreamweaver. F12 previews in browser.

    Is the server installed and running?

    --
    Geoff Berrow
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  4. #4

    "mimages" <mimagesNOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message news:<Yi5db.34607$Ci5.805282twister.tampabay.rr.c om>...
    > I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files (PHP)
    > don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time. Now,
    > it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s). Any
    > advice?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    I'm assuming you mean Dreamweaver.

    You need to go to Edit | Preferences | Site and ensure that the
    'dependent files' boxes are checked. Pressing F12 puts the current
    file to the test server but not any dependent, i.e. included, files.
    They have to be put manually if this option is unchecked.

    Paul
    Paul Liversidge Guest

  5. #5

    Sorry, and thanks for catching my mistake. I do mean Dreamweaver. I checked
    the preferences, and all the boxes you mentioned are checked. The testing
    server is local, and I thought it would display the files properly. I've
    done this in creation of ASP files, and it works just fine. I don't know why
    the problem is occuring since I started doing PHP development.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Paul Liversidge" <paul_liversidgehotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:bf26a194.0309270716.4cd4957fposting.google.c om...
    > "mimages" <mimagesNOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message
    news:<Yi5db.34607$Ci5.805282twister.tampabay.rr.c om>...
    > > I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files (PHP)
    > > don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time.
    Now,
    > > it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s).
    Any
    > > advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I'm assuming you mean Dreamweaver.
    >
    > You need to go to Edit | Preferences | Site and ensure that the
    > 'dependent files' boxes are checked. Pressing F12 puts the current
    > file to the test server but not any dependent, i.e. included, files.
    > They have to be put manually if this option is unchecked.
    >
    > Paul

    mimages Guest

  6. #6

    Yes, I'm sorry, I am referring to Dreamweaver. I have done ASP development
    without actually having to install the personal web server, so I thought I
    would need no special installation for PHP development. I guess I'm wrong. I
    really don't know what needs to be installed, though.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  7. #7

    I noticed that Message-ID:
    <RhHdb.42404$Ci5.1096170twister.tampabay.rr.com > from mimages contained
    the following:
    >Yes, I'm sorry, I am referring to Dreamweaver. I have done ASP development
    >without actually having to install the personal web server, so I thought I
    >would need no special installation for PHP development. I guess I'm wrong. I
    >really don't know what needs to be installed, though.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    I don't usually bother. I simply use the 'put' command to upload the
    page I'm working on then view it from my webserver. That way I /know/
    it's going to work.

    If you want to, you can install Apache, PHP, PHP,MYAdmin and MySQL all
    in one easy hit. Go to [url]http://www.firepages.com.au[/url] and click PHPDEV
    bundles 423 is the latest.

  8. #8

    Bummers. I was hoping to avoid installing a bunch of stuff on this system.
    Wanted to keep it clean. I'll probably to the put deal, I just wanted to
    check it locally before potentially messing up a good page with a wanna-be
    better one, until I was sure it was good.

  9. #9

    In article <x9Ldb.43307$Ci5.1127784twister.tampabay.rr.com >, mimages wrote:
    > Bummers. I was hoping to avoid installing a bunch of stuff on this system.
    > Wanted to keep it clean. I'll probably to the put deal, I just wanted to
    > check it locally before potentially messing up a good page with a wanna-be
    > better one, until I was sure it was good.
    Why aren't you using the testing server feature of Dreamweaver? It can stuff
    things off into a non-public subdirectory for testing.
    Ed Clarke Guest

  10. #10

    I noticed that Message-ID:
    <x9Ldb.43307$Ci5.1127784twister.tampabay.rr.com > from mimages contained
    the following:
    >Bummers. I was hoping to avoid installing a bunch of stuff on this system.
    >Wanted to keep it clean. I'll probably to the put deal, I just wanted to
    >check it locally before potentially messing up a good page with a wanna-be
    >better one, until I was sure it was good.
    Then make a copy in a subdirectory.

    --
    Geoff Berrow
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs [url]http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/[/url]
    Geoff Berrow Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    mimages Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Geoff Berrow Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    "mimages" <mimagesNOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message
    news:XfHdb.42395$Ci5.1093911twister.tampabay.rr.c om...
    > Sorry, and thanks for catching my mistake. I do mean Dreamweaver. I
    checked
    > the preferences, and all the boxes you mentioned are checked. The testing
    > server is local, and I thought it would display the files properly. I've
    > done this in creation of ASP files, and it works just fine. I don't know
    why
    > the problem is occuring since I started doing PHP development.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > "Paul Liversidge" <paul_liversidgehotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:bf26a194.0309270716.4cd4957fposting.google.c om...
    > > "mimages" <mimagesNOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message
    > news:<Yi5db.34607$Ci5.805282twister.tampabay.rr.c om>...
    > > > I press F12, and the page displays locally, but the included files
    (PHP)
    > > > don't get included. I could've sworn it was working, once upon a time.
    > Now,
    > > > it just shows everything else in the page minus the included file(s).
    > Any
    > > > advice?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > I'm assuming you mean Dreamweaver.
    > >
    > > You need to go to Edit | Preferences | Site and ensure that the
    > > 'dependent files' boxes are checked. Pressing F12 puts the current
    > > file to the test server but not any dependent, i.e. included, files.
    > > They have to be put manually if this option is unchecked.
    > >
    > > Paul
    The easiest way is (if you're on Win XP) to install IIS (Internet
    Information Services) which is the part of Win installation and can be found
    on Win CD, and just add PHP extensions to it. Then you define your testing
    server folder in Dreamweaver which will be the root folder of your local
    webserver (or its subdirectory). So, now when you press F12 all your dynamic
    PHP code will be processed by your local server and you dont need to worry
    about that, it's just that easy.

    medi Guest