Professional Web Applications Themes

FacetTerm and SCO User licenses - SCO

Hi all, I have a client that is about to do an upgrade to 5.0.7 and at the same time deploy Faceterm to their desktops. I checked the Faceterm website www.facetcorp.com but am not clear if each session on a facetterm desktop uses a separate SCO User license. So if a user has 3 unix screens running, does this require 3 User licenses? Is each session a separate telnet login, or does it run something like the old multiscreens? Danny Aldham...

  1. #1

    Default FacetTerm and SCO User licenses

    Hi all,

    I have a client that is about to do an upgrade to 5.0.7 and at the same time
    deploy Faceterm to their desktops. I checked the Faceterm website
    www.facetcorp.com but am not clear if each session on a facetterm desktop
    uses a separate SCO User license. So if a user has 3 unix screens running,
    does this require 3 User licenses? Is each session a separate telnet login,
    or does it run something like the old multiscreens?

    Danny Aldham

    Danny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FacetTerm and SCO User licenses

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 00:21:55 GMT, "Danny Aldham"
    <postino.com> wrote:

    Hopefully you've realised by now that all the "features" facet-term
    provides are available for free with any Liux distro? I mean really,
    how desparate are they to advertise "print screen" as a feature?!
    Even if you had only one terminal window on a Linux box you can run as
    many processes as you like, for god's sake...

    I suppose if you're already paying through the nose for SCO's somewhat
    outdated (and possibly soon unsupported let's hope!) software, then
    you don't care about wasting more cash on a totally redundant piece of
    software. Or maybe SCO OS' don't have the option of running multiple
    jobs at once in a single terminal session? ;-)

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  3. #3

    Danny Aldham enscribed:
    | Hi all,
    |
    | I have a client that is about to do an upgrade to 5.0.7 and at the same time
    | deploy Faceterm to their desktops. I checked the Faceterm website
    | www.facetcorp.com but am not clear if each session on a facetterm desktop
    | uses a separate SCO User license. So if a user has 3 unix screens running,
    | does this require 3 User licenses? Is each session a separate telnet login,
    | or does it run something like the old multiscreens?

    Better an example:
    User logs in to OpenServer system.
    User's .profile starts FacetTerm configured for 6 multi-screens
    License usage: 1 Unix License, 1 FacetTerm License

    In principle, it would be fair to say that FacetTerm is a greatly (and
    I mean GREATLY) enhanced multi-screen.

    Great product, nothing compares to it.
    Tom Parsons com
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote: [/ref]

    Are all the features in Facet-Term in Linux. All the emulation
    choices for example.

    And how about remote users. I had one client that had users
    in 22 cities and when they updated FacetWin on the main server,
    when the remote users logged in, it let them update remotely.

    I must have missed that in the Linux distros. What program would
    that be? All the remote systems were Windows.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Brian Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bill Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    "Tom Parsons" <com> wrote in message
    time
    desktop
    running,
    login,

    Thanks Tom. I was getting worried with the flame fest brewing that I might
    not get an answer. Will certainly have my client go ahead with the
    FacetTerm.

    Danny Aldham

    Danny Guest

  8. #8

    "FyRE" <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote in message

    Oye Vey. I am reminded why my Usenet posting is averaging less than 12 per
    year.

    --
    Danny Aldham Providing Certified Internetworking Solutions to Business
    www.postino.com E-Mail, Web Servers, Security, Web Databases, SQL PHP &

    Danny Guest

  9. #9

    Danny Aldham wrote:

    > time

    > desktop

    > running,

    > login,

    > Thanks Tom. I was getting worried with the flame fest brewing that I might
    > not get an answer. Will certainly have my client go ahead with the
    > FacetTerm.
    >[/ref]

    Yep, 1 Unix license & 1 Facetterm license but with your example you may
    be using 3 Application licenses.

    --
    Darryl Krasman
    Ideal Computer Group Inc.

    Darryl Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bill Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    Bill Andersen wrote:

    We can get FacetTerm on Linux TOO!!!!

    That is real funny.

    Just how is Faceterm superior to open source "screen"?

    You never did explain that.

    Oh, by the way, here is what VARBusiness had to say about SCO:

    <quote>
    SCO should apply some of the money it's shelling out in legal fees in its
    suit against IBM and Linux users to its channel efforts. The company's ARC
    scores were a train wreck in the enterprise operating systems category. Who
    cares what line of code is buried inside some obscure Linux program that
    can trace its roots to IBM's Unix license dating back to the Partridge
    Family? SCO partners clearly don't appreciate the company's products.
    </quote>

    www.varbusiness.com/sections/columns/columns.asp?ArticleID=44952

    Wow, a train wreck... That can't be good!

    You should report some of the other SCO news - building a win around an
    obscure utility running on an even more obscure operating system.

    SCO is a corpse that just hasn't fallen over yet - unfortunately the stink
    is awful!

    8^)

    Brian

    Brian Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Brian Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. #15

    Brian <com> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    > We can get FacetTerm on Linux TOO!!!![/ref]

    Actually, it is. Screen isn't easy to configure; in fact it can
    be quite difficult. It's insistence on being a vt100 terminal
    (even "helpfully" translating for you) can be quite annoying at
    times.

    But you've never used Facetterm, have you? Just a typical Linux
    zealot, screen MUST be better.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  16. #16

    > Bill Andersen wrote:

    > We can get FacetTerm on Linux TOO!!!![/ref]

    Brian wrote:

    First of all, none of the above conversation was anything I said.
    However, please show me the exact line above that indicates anyone
    thinks FacetTerm is suprior to "screen"?

    SCO doesn't make FacetTerm.
    Bill Guest