Professional Web Applications Themes

facing pages: can I get a little space between them? - Adobe Indesign Windows

try adding creep...

  1. #1

    Default Re: facing pages: can I get a little space between them?

    try adding creep
    Grant_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Unless I'm not seeing it clearly, there are two easy options here:

    1. Make the pages wider and include the binder space (spiral or ring) in the inside margin (this would be my method).
    2. Ask the printer to add the binder space when impositioning the pages (personally I would not do that; I don't like to depend on others for the right outcome).

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is there any way to get enough space on the pasteboard between the facing
    pages to place bleeds properly

    There is no proper way to add bleed to facing pages in the first place. Pages don't have bleed at the binding edge. (?)

    oh, sorry, didn't see the first post referring to spiral binding (though the idea of bleed on the inside is still suspect) In that case you shouldn't be setting your doent up as facing pages because technically they're not.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I have spiral bound doents that need to be set up for facing pages
    because I need to use inside & outside margins so that the binding edge
    (inside margin) has a larger margin than the outer edge to accommodate the
    holes for the spiral. In PM one could do that without facing pages, but it
    doesn't seem possible in ID.
    --
    Cyndee

    Cyndee_Meystel@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    In PM one could do that without facing pages, but it doesn't seem possible
    in ID.

    Seems you are correct (without resorting to using master pages). Guess I was thinking in PageMaker. ID seems to be equating non-facing pages with one-sided pages which is a bit simple-minded.

    This makes Andy's plight a bit more of a problem because (unlike PM) ID will not print a bleed unless it's specified in the doent setup. This also leads me to wonder why it's possible to specify an inside bleed on facing pages. (?)
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Gang,

    Don't know if this will help, but try this...

    Start a doent, defining Facing Pages and making a greater Inside margin and a smalller Outside Margin. Make 4 or more pages. OK.

    In the Pages palette, click to the Pages palette menu button and click on "Allow Pages to Shuffle" to unselect this mysterious command.

    In the Pages palette where the facing pages icons are, drag the right hand icon a little to the right. Amazingly, the page selected displays by itself. Double-click any spread label, and those pages show side-by-side.

    Pretty cool, altho a bit manual, eh? I could wish for a script to set all page spreads apart at one click.

    Does that help at all?

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, I have done this. Problem is that its a pain to do it with a file of
    many pages.

  8. #8

    There are a number of solutions to this, all of them fairly simple.

    1) The simplest: turn off facing pages. How they print is more important than how they look on screen. You can then choose to output PDFs with bleeds (for print) or without (for onscreen viewing).

    2) Set the pages up so they include the bleed within their margins. In other words, if trimmed page size is 5x8" with 1/8" bleed, set the pages to be 5.25x8.25". Crop marks and such can be added to the master pages for consistency.

    3) If you need a binding allowance, you'll need to to have separate right and left page masters. Fortunately, ID allows you to apply masters to a range of pages in a single command.
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Shane

    I think your option 1 would fail if you wanted to bleed a graphic across the
    two pages.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    There are a number of solutions to this, all of them fairly simple.

    Only 2 hasn't been discussed, and I would be hard pressed to call that solution simple.

    Solution 3 is pretty well a required part of every other solution.

    Non-facing pages and Masters for front and back is probably the simplest solution for a short doent. But the Masters shouldn't be necessary; the option of setting inside margins shouldn't disappear when non-facing pages are selected.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest