Professional Web Applications Themes

Facing Pages (PRINTING) - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have to produce a 24 page A5 booklet which I have set up in Indesign with facing pages. I have page 2 of the booklet next to page 3 in my indesign doent. Can I print this doent so the printout automatically changes the printout to the correct spread as if it was printed at the printers, so I can mock up a draft copy of the booklet. i.e so page 2 prints next to page 23 on the printout etc. Any ideas, or am I setting this doent out wrong? Hicks...

  1. #1

    Default Facing Pages (PRINTING)

    HIcks@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Facing Pages (PRINTING)

    Is imposition is normally made by the printing company with special programs
    that fit the needs of their printing equiment, imposition isn't implemented
    in the basic InDesign. But there are some plugins available like InBooklet
    from ALAP, a light edition of this tool is also included in the IDCS
    Pagemaker Edition. If you can't pay for this, you have to export the
    doent as PDF, and then place the PDF pages in a new doent, so you can
    simulate the imposition. If you have any changes, reexport to ther same PDF
    and then just update the links of the imposition doent.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Jens

    It would seem a usefull tool for Indesign to have. I wonder why they dont.

    Thanks again for the explination

  4. #4

    > It would seem a usefull tool for Indesign to have. I wonder why they dont.

    I can only guess, but there is at least one good tool for semi-professional
    use, so why should they invest time to implement this feature? For
    professional use you don't need it, because professional imposition is done
    by the printing company itself. To give an example: how should the designer
    know how his 72 page brochure will be printed? So the printing company
    creates the imposition plans according to maximum machine width, paper and
    number of prints, and adds all the markers their printers need to know. Here
    at our company (sheet offset up to 102 cm) we are working entirely with
    single pages impositioned by our workflow, delivery of preimpositioned
    sources isn't accepted.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  5. #5

    I kinda understood that Jen.

    Its just that I have to produce a lot of mock-ups for our customers but this is the first time I have done a 24 page doent, and it would useful for me to look at a hard copy of how it is intended to look.

    I have now worked out the pages and set it up as an A4 landscape doent with 12 pages. Will the printers except this type of layout? or do I need to make it facing pages for a booklet?

    Thanks

  6. #6

    I can understand your need of mocks, only for this manual imposition is
    fine. The best is always ask the printer how he like to get the files, maybe
    it is a small printer and he just uses your landscape thingie. Here we
    wouldn't accept the file or would charged you for the additional work we
    would have (not to think of the possible source of errors when we
    reconstruct the pages for you). Some of our layouters (but not the
    typesetters) use this page scheme in their layout programm: [4|1] and [2|3],
    each as a single page - with the help of pagination sections this works fine
    for cover layout: they see what they have beside each other and can place
    objects that span on two pages, but when they print the pages are in the
    correct order as single pages.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  7. #7

    > I kinda understood that Jen.

    Me too. That's why I let the printer deal with it. :-)

    In your case, maybe one of the imposition add-ins or scripts is worth a
    look.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Jens,

    I will be supplying the printer a facing pages Indesign file as requested, so I have put together the final 24page A5 doent.

    I have Page 1 (Front cover) by itself. Page 2 is next to page 3, page 4 is next to page 5 and so on. Then the Back page is also by itself.

    Is this the correct way to lay the doent out in indesign as facing pages?

    Hicks

    PS Thanks for your help, I am new at this. The most I have ever done is a 4 page doent. A4 1 fold 4PP.
    HIcks@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yes, this is what we call facing pages, as the facing pages option is
    checked in the page settings dialogue.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  10. #10

    > PS Thanks for your help, I am new at this. The most I
    > have ever done is a 4 page doent. A4 1 fold 4PP.
    You are welcome... imposition isn't a field of wisdom every typesetter in
    our company has to solve, it's only the problem of our folks in the
    prepress&conversion department, so just ask here when there are questions
    about data interchange with your printing companies. Even when I'm unable to
    answer, here you can find many folks that also try to make the prepress
    world a little better providing hints to better prepare your files.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  11. #11

    "For professional use you don't need it, because professional imposition is done by the printing company itself."

    Jens, please don't take this as an adversarial stance on my part. I've read many of your posts, and consider you to be one of the most knowledgeable regulars here, but I just want to point out that it may be unfair to disassociate the term "professional" with anything other than designing for hand-off to the printing industry.

    Many of us are designing in environments where output is achieved via various channels, including in-house, high-speed laser-based equipment, in which case, we also become responsible for many facets of production, from imposition for sheet-fed output, to output color management, to bindery/finishing and even distribution...all this in addition to designing for hand-off to offset printers, flexographic printers, embroiderers, screen printers, etc.

    It could be argued that this makes us even more "professional."

    I'm sure it's possible I read more into your post than you intended so forgive me if this comes of as a rant of sorts.

    John
    John Mensinger Guest

  12. #12

    Hi John,
    > Many of us are designing in environments where output
    > is achieved via various channels, [...]
    > It could be argued that this makes us even more "professional."
    > I'm sure it's possible I read more into your post than you
    > intended so forgive me if this comes of as a rant of sorts.
    Maybe I wrote something without thinking of the part of the industry you
    described, so your point and my apologies, I'm really sorry to offend you
    and others. I will try to find some better form to describe the situation
    the next time when an imposition question will occur (and I bet it will
    within the nect month...) and will try to sound less arrogant.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks for all yours help, especial you Jens.

    I will be posting any help issues I have on here because it is great to get help here and at very short notice.

    Thanks again.

  14. #14

    No need to apologize, Jens, (but accepted nevertheless). It's just so easy for groups and individuals to be alienated in/by these forums, through implication or inference, that sometimes I can't help feeling that a little defensive action is in order.

    Obviously, you helped the OP, which is what really matters.

    Respectfully,

    John
    John Mensinger Guest