Professional Web Applications Themes

Failed Installation - Lost data?? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, Please forgive me in advance for this long-winded query, but I would really like some assistance on a major problem. I have a system running Win98SE, and recently added a second HDD and tried installing RedHat 7.3 the new Samsung 80GB HDD. I let the installer chose most of the default settings, except I chose the LILO bootloader instead of GRUB (since that is what I have always used in the past). When I restarted the machine, LILO gave the error "L AA AA AA AA". A search on the net indicated that this was an indication that ...

  1. #1

    Default Failed Installation - Lost data??

    Hi all,

    Please forgive me in advance for this long-winded query, but I would
    really like some assistance on a major problem.

    I have a system running Win98SE, and recently added a second HDD and
    tried installing RedHat 7.3 the new Samsung 80GB HDD. I let the
    installer chose most of the default settings, except I chose the LILO
    bootloader instead of GRUB (since that is what I have always used in the
    past).

    When I restarted the machine, LILO gave the error "L AA AA AA AA". A
    search on the net indicated that this was an indication that the drive
    was not ready (?). I then used the boot disk, and RedHat booted, except
    for a DriveStatusError BadCRC warning. Another search of the net
    indicated that this could be due to a bad IDE cable - I changed the
    cable and the BadCRC error went - but I still got the LILO boot time error.

    I thought that if there was something wrong with the IDE cable that
    maybe the installation was bad and so reinstalled RedHat over the top of
    the old one - again accepting all the defaults except LILO. I still got
    the same "L AA AA AA" message from LILO at boot.

    I reinstalled yet again, this time using GRUB as the bootloader. This
    time I got a GRUB Read Error - again searching the net indicated an
    error with the drive. I could still boot RedHat with the bootdisk, and
    since I had done all these installations, I thought that maybe there was
    some corruption from the first installation, so I tried to reformat the
    drive. I followed the example on formatting the drive in the man pages,
    but stupidly I forgot that I wanted the format the Linux (hdc) drive,
    instead I formatted the Windows (hda) drive!!!

    Is there anyway of getting back the data on my Windows drive????

    Also, why can't I now access this drive from RedHat, since I formatted
    it using fdisk in Linux? When I try and mount it I get a message saying
    that it is not a valid filesystem.

    Out of interest, what could be wrong with the RedHat installation that
    neither LILO nor GRUB work properly? (But my most important question is
    how to recover my Windows drive!!)

    Many thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some assistance.

    Regards,
    Paul Medwell

    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Failed Installation - Lost data??

    Paul Medwell wrote:

    If you formatted the drive, about the only way I know of would be
    expensive to have done by a professional data recovery service.

    Because "fdisk" doesn't format the disk. It is a partitioning
    tool. You can format the partitions during the installation.

    When you ran "lilo -v" after booting with into rescue mode did it
    show any error message?
    If it did what did it say?
    What does your /etc/lilo.conf file look like?

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply.

    It seems that I'm going to have to re-install Windows and all my
    programmes :(

    Running "lilo -v" didn't show any error messages, it seemed fine (in
    comparison to working lilo I have on other machines).
    I can't give you my lilo.conf because I have since installed Windows
    over Linux - I needed a working Windows, and in case there is any hope
    of recovering my old Windows disk, I do not want to overwrite it.

    --
    David wrote:

    > When you ran "lilo -v" after booting with into rescue mode did it show
    > any error message?
    > If it did what did it say?
    > What does your /etc/lilo.conf file look like?[/ref]

    P. Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:01:43 GMT, David wrote:

    > If you formatted the drive, about the only way I know of would be
    > expensive to have done by a professional data recovery service.[/ref]

    Since he only deleted the partition, there is definetely hope. I've
    never used it before, but GNU parted claims to be able to do what the OP
    needs:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_chapter/parted_2.html#SEC24

    Good luck!

    --
    When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong,
    you cannot be too conservative. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #5

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:31:07 +0000, P. Medwell wrote:

    Since you've already installed Win98 on the other drive, Ontrack Easy
    Recovery is the best recovery program I've found that runs on windows.
    You can download a trial version, that only runs once, so do the whole
    partition that your trying to recover files from, the first time. The link
    below is to the download page.

    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/

    --
    imotgm