Professional Web Applications Themes

Failed to register - UK - Channel4 On Demand TV - Macromedia Flash Player

I do hope someone can help. Apparently this is affecting lots of people. I am using Windows XP and until yesterday was having problems with the Channel 4 on demand tv service (watch streaming or download via their player) at www.channel4.com/4od - but during installation of the offline player/viewer, the installation breaks down every time no matter WHAT I do. Now I don't have a problem installing the flash player ActiveX commands and whilst I'm no expert, I do know my way around computers and the installation of computer software etc but this has me stumped! :( During the installation ...

  1. #1

    Default Failed to register - UK - Channel4 On Demand TV

    I do hope someone can help. Apparently this is affecting lots of people. I am
    using Windows XP and until yesterday was having problems with the Channel 4 on
    demand tv service (watch streaming or download via their player) at
    www.channel4.com/4od - but during installation of the offline player/viewer,
    the installation breaks down every time no matter WHAT I do. Now I don't have a
    problem installing the flash player ActiveX commands and whilst I'm no expert,
    I do know my way around computers and the installation of computer software etc
    but this has me stumped! :(

    During the installation of the 4OD viewer, it breaks down with the following
    message:-

    Error 1904.Module C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9d.ocx failed to
    register. HRESULT-2147220473 ...

    I've tried registering the software via start/run and that seemed to succeed
    but 4od still won't update/finish its installation and keeps breaking down
    (running 'repair') at this same point over and over again. I've uninstalled and
    reinstalled both Macromedia Flash Player v8 and Adobe Flash Player v9. I've
    tried renaming the flash9d.ocx file to flash9.ocx and even tried renaming the
    flash9e.ocx (read only!) to flash9ocx.bak but none of these things work. I'm
    told Adobe are aware of this problem but I can't find ANYTHING on here about
    this problem or if there is any fix or workaround for it. :(

    Anyone else having this problem and/or know how to fix it or sort it out?
    ALL/ANY help./advice would be VERY welcome and gratefully received!! :)

    Thanks
    Nick (UK)

    mancunian_nick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Failed to register - UK - Channel4 On Demand TV

    HI,
    I can't help, but I have been having the same problem and have tried
    everything to resolve it to no avail.
    It has happened to me ever since they took 4 oD down to carry out maintenence
    I haven't been able to access it ever since!
    Sorry I can't help

    dublingal Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Dublingal. Sorry you've been having problems too. This is the 'fix' which
    4od tech support sent me. Actually I already did this but then I deleted ALL
    the DRM and Kontiki folders, both the hidden ones in doents and settings\all
    AND the ones in program files and then re-installed. Once I got to the message
    error about registering flash player, I ignored it and tried running the
    program from the 4od icon and, believe it or not, it worked! So what happened
    I'm not sure. Anyway assuming you don't have a DRM problem and/or have managed
    to fix that, try this and good luck.

    1: Download the file below:

    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_f
    lash_player_active_x.msi

    2: Click Start>Run and enter c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\UninstFl.exe

    3: Run the file you just downloaded

    4: Go to Start>Run and type in:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9.ocx

    Take care
    Nick

    mancunian_nick Guest