Professional Web Applications Themes

Failover from UDB cross-platform servers to mainframe - IBM DB2

Helpful folks, I've been asked to research this question by the director of IT. He would like to 'consolidate' his failover resources if he possibly can. Here's the scenario: We have multiple db2 databases on multiple platforms (Windows and AS400) with possibly Unix/Linux/Aix coming into the mix in the future. (We are acquiring companies at an impressive rate.) He's been mandated to provide failover machines for all of these servers. What he would like to do is have one mainframe act as a failover site for all these disparate databases. His target maximum failover lapse time is 5 minutes. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Failover from UDB cross-platform servers to mainframe

    Helpful folks,

    I've been asked to research this question by the director of IT. He
    would like to 'consolidate' his failover resources if he possibly can.
    Here's the scenario:

    We have multiple db2 databases on multiple platforms (Windows and
    AS400) with possibly Unix/Linux/Aix coming into the mix in the future.
    (We are acquiring companies at an impressive rate.) He's been mandated
    to provide failover machines for all of these servers. What he would
    like to do is have one mainframe act as a failover site for all these
    disparate databases. His target maximum failover lapse time is 5
    minutes.
    I am not terribly familiar with the various failover products and
    methods available for DB2, but I had always thought that the failover
    machine must be as identical as possible to the primary server,
    including operating system. I hesitate to tell him this
    authoritatively, however. So, I thought I would poll the field.
    Does anyone know if this can be done?

    We also have some Oracle and SQL server databases that have the same
    requirement. He believes that mainframe address spaces can be
    configured to look and run like a Unix instance, and perhaps through
    that mechanism, act as a failover server for Oracle as well. It's been
    about 4 years since I've worked on the mainframe, so I have no
    experience with this kind of scenario. Is this feasible, too?

    I know that Data Propagator can te data from one DB2 database
    to another, regardless of platform, but just having a recovery site is
    not what he's after. He's looking for a swift failover solution.

    Any feedback or comments at all would be very appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sean
    Sean Guest

  2. #2

    The packaged High Availability solutions DB2 uses (HACMP on AIX,
    Microsoft Cluster Server, HP ServiveGuard, Solaris Cluster, etc) are
    operating system-specific, so the cannot be used. Some sort of
    well-tuned tion with DataProp seems to be the best bet to me.

    Blair Guest

  3. #3

    I think it really depends on the type of data access performed in the
    applications on whether the failover on a mainframe is possible. I'd guess that
    some of the iSeries (AS/400) apps are using non-SQL data access interfaces that
    would make it very hard for the mainframe to serve as the only failover server.

    --
    Kent Milligan, DB2 & BI team
    PartnerWorld for Developers, iSeries

  4. #4

    Hi Sean;
    One other consideration in a cross-platform failover scenario is how
    your apps are constructed. It may be all well and good to fail the
    data over to a mainframe server, but can your application
    processes/servers be "repointed" to a new platform rapidly without
    substantial tweaks to your middleware environment?

    Pete H
    Pete Guest

  5. #5

    com (Sean C.) wrote in message news:<google.com>...
    [etc]

    Sean,

    IMHO this is one you should definitely advise against. DB2 UDB for
    multiplatforms is substantially different from the z-Series and
    i-Series products. If your applications avoid all utility use and use
    only SQL common to the products then maybe, with tion set up
    correctly and *extensive* re-testing of all systems you would have a
    solution - but one that sounds like a false economy. You'd be moving
    away from well understood solutions into pioneering territory.

    Even within the DB2 UDB for multiplatforms world with its common code
    base, there are still minor o/s related differences that mean you
    cannot back up on (say) Windows and restore on UNIX.

    DG
    Database Guest

  6. #6

    Hey guys,
    Thanks very much for all the useful replies. I really appreciate the
    informed feedback.

    Thanks
    Sean Guest