Professional Web Applications Themes

Faking Posted Variables - PHP Development

I have played with this some unsuccessfully and can't find any references to it on-line. What I have is a forms-based application where I POST the form. This was decided on because of security and the length limits of a URL. Now I have a need where I would like to link to a form and "fake" some of the variables that are normally posted. For example, I have a form that normally comes up where the user selects information from a combobox and on reload, the fields are then automatically filled in. I would like to be able to ...

  1. #1

    Default Faking Posted Variables

    I have played with this some unsuccessfully and can't find any
    references to it on-line.

    What I have is a forms-based application where I POST the form. This
    was decided on because of security and the length limits of a URL. Now
    I have a need where I would like to link to a form and "fake" some of
    the variables that are normally posted.

    For example, I have a form that normally comes up where the user
    selects information from a combobox and on reload, the fields are then
    automatically filled in. I would like to be able to go to that form
    from other locations and fake the POST variable of the combobox so that
    the form will fill in when they first access it.

    Am I trying to do the impossible?
    Steve Robbins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Faking Posted Variables

    Steve Robbins <srobbinsno.spam.charter.net> schrieb:
    > What I have is a forms-based application where I POST the form. This
    > was decided on because of security and the length limits of a URL. Now
    > I have a need where I would like to link to a form and "fake" some of
    > the variables that are normally posted.
    I'd suggest that you make a GET-Request to a new script, which will make
    a POST-Request to your existing script.

    The FAQ of the german speaking PHP newsgroups has a nice example for a
    POST-Request. Read [url]http://www.dclp-faq.de/q/q-code-post.html[/url], ignore the
    short german text and just have a look at the code. You should be able
    to understand how it works.

    On the other hand you could just change your script and get the data fom
    the $_REQUEST-array instead of the $_POST-array.

    Regards,
    Matthias

    P.S.: You might want to wait for a solution from the genius "ww",
    because I'm "one of those stupid people posting to news groups
    that has NO clue what he's talking about".
    See Message-Id <kendrvsv1ut1gugqudiofvo9e6q4u4f5mo4ax.com> for
    details.
    :-)
    --
    Who are we? What are we doing here? - Amnesy International
    Matthias Esken Guest

  3. #3

    Steve Robbins:
    > I have played with this some unsuccessfully and can't find any
    > references to it on-line.
    >
    > What I have is a forms-based application where I POST the form. This
    > was decided on because of security and the length limits of a URL. Now
    > I have a need where I would like to link to a form and "fake" some of
    > the variables that are normally posted.
    >
    > For example, I have a form that normally comes up where the user
    > selects information from a combobox and on reload, the fields are then
    > automatically filled in. I would like to be able to go to that form
    > from other locations and fake the POST variable of the combobox so that
    > the form will fill in when they first access it.
    >
    > Am I trying to do the impossible?
    No. You can try to use cURL: [url]http://www.php.net/curl[/url]

    There is also Snoopy: [url]http://snoopy.sourceforge.net/[/url]

    André Nęss
    André Nęss Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:31:57 +0000, André Nęss
    <andrena.spamreallysifi.uio.no> wrote:
    > Steve Robbins:
    >
    > No. You can try to use cURL: [url]http://www.php.net/curl[/url]
    >
    > There is also Snoopy: [url]http://snoopy.sourceforge.net/[/url]
    Thanks! I will look these over.

    Steve Robbins Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 18:39:13 +0100, Matthias Esken
    <muelleimer2003nospamusenetverwaltung.org> wrote:
    > The FAQ of the german speaking PHP newsgroups has a nice example for a
    > POST-Request. Read [url]http://www.dclp-faq.de/q/q-code-post.html[/url], ignore
    > the short german text and just have a look at the code. You should be
    > able to understand how it works.
    Thanks, I'll play around with that.
    > P.S.: You might want to wait for a solution from the genius "ww",
    > because I'm "one of those stupid people posting to news groups
    > that has NO clue what he's talking about".
    > See Message-Id <kendrvsv1ut1gugqudiofvo9e6q4u4f5mo4ax.com> for
    > details.
    > :-)
    I ignore trash talk in the groups. All help is good and I appreciate
    your input.
    Steve Robbins Guest

  6. #6

    Steve Robbins wrote:
    > What I have is a forms-based application where I POST the form. This
    > was decided on because of security and the length limits of a URL.
    > Now I have a need where I would like to link to a form and "fake"
    > some of the variables that are normally posted.
    > For example, I have a form that normally comes up where the user
    > selects information from a combobox and on reload, the fields are then
    > automatically filled in. I would like to be able to go to that form
    > from other locations and fake the POST variable of the combobox so
    > that the form will fill in when they first access it.
    > Am I trying to do the impossible?
    this works for me :

    [url]ftp://ftp.holotech.net/postit.zip[/url]

    :)

    --
    [email]jackcroatiabiz.com[/email]

    k-caj Guest