Professional Web Applications Themes

Fast video switching and playback in Director MX - Macromedia Director Basics

Hello, I've got some questions.. I have to create an interactive video presentation that would be able to switch seamlessly between various 3D rendered videos on user interactions without any flickering and delays. The videos should be playable from any time point and have some loops. So if there is no user interaction, video A is looping between loop points, then interaction skips the loop and switches at given time point to any video B (not only at the beginning but any time point). The playback should be very smooth that the user doesn't recognize the switch. Is Director MX ...

  1. #1

    Default Fast video switching and playback in Director MX

    Hello,

    I've got some questions..
    I have to create an interactive video presentation that would be able to
    switch seamlessly between various 3D rendered videos on user interactions
    without any flickering and delays. The videos should be playable from any
    time point and have some loops. So if there is no user interaction, video A
    is looping between loop points, then interaction skips the loop and switches
    at given time point to any video B (not only at the beginning but any time
    point). The playback should be very smooth that the user doesn't recognize
    the switch.
    Is Director MX capable to perform this? Which video format and codec should
    I use to achieve best quality and speed? The presentation will be projected
    on a big screen on the wall, so quality and resolution should be as high as
    possible. Is it neccessary to create small videos and preload them to
    achieve smooth playback when switching? Or is it better to create bigger
    videos with cuepoints and jump between them using Lingo?
    What could give me the best results? Could somebody give me answers to my
    questions?
    Thanks..

    Tomas

    Tomas Lehuta Guest

  2. #2

    The best way to achieve this would probably be to combine all your clips
    into one big clip, then just jump to the time (cuepoints) in the video which
    has that part in it.
    As for best format, if you're after quality then mpeg2 is your best bet,
    there are quite a few xtras out there (have a look on the macromedia site
    for a list of xtras that will control mpeg2) that will help you display and
    navigate it all properly.

    "Tomas Lehuta" <lharpaurius.sk> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got some questions..
    > I have to create an interactive video presentation that would be able to
    > switch seamlessly between various 3D rendered videos on user interactions
    > without any flickering and delays. The videos should be playable from any
    > time point and have some loops. So if there is no user interaction, video
    > is looping between loop points, then interaction skips the loop and
    switches
    > at given time point to any video B (not only at the beginning but any time
    > point). The playback should be very smooth that the user doesn't recognize
    > the switch.
    > Is Director MX capable to perform this? Which video format and codec
    should
    > I use to achieve best quality and speed? The presentation will be
    projected
    > on a big screen on the wall, so quality and resolution should be as high
    as
    > possible. Is it neccessary to create small videos and preload them to
    > achieve smooth playback when switching? Or is it better to create bigger
    > videos with cuepoints and jump between them using Lingo?
    > What could give me the best results? Could somebody give me answers to my
    > questions?
    > Thanks..
    >
    > Tomas

    James Guest

  3. #3

    What would be better to wrap video into - QuickTime or AVI?
    I assume QuickTime has better support in Director than AVI or am I wrong? Do
    I need to use any third-party Xtra for QuickTime playback using Lingo? Or
    did you mean to use flat .mpeg file?
    Will be MPEG2 good enough and not showing those square artifacts in video?
    Will not it be better to use for ex. DV or M-JPEG codecs instead. Or will
    this result in a choppy playback in Director because of a higher bit-rate?

    Tomas

    Tomas Lehuta Guest

  4. #4

    "Tomas Lehuta" <lharpaurius.sk> a écrit dans le message de
    | What would be better to wrap video into - QuickTime or AVI?

    i'd say QuickTime on Mac, AVI on PC

    | I assume QuickTime has better support in Director than AVI or am I wrong?

    afaik, you are :o) both are well supported, depending on which platform

    | Do I need to use any third-party Xtra for QuickTime playback using Lingo?

    you need to install QuickTime on PCs, and nothing on Macs

    | Or did you mean to use flat .mpeg file?
    | Will be MPEG2 good enough and not showing those square artifacts in video?

    MPEG2 is quite good quality. I use it with MPEGADVANCE xtra on PCs (don't
    know if QT takes it in charge on Macs). I used mpeg1 with DirectMedia xtra
    (PC) and QuickTime (Mac) on project several years ago, and it worked well.

    | Will not it be better to use for ex. DV or M-JPEG codecs instead. Or will
    | this result in a choppy playback in Director because of a higher bit-rate?

    There is no "pure" answer : it depends on the video content, your dir
    project and the end user machine. For example I made a video player (that
    does nothing but playing video) which works well on many PCs, from W98 to
    WXP. Yet "old" computers have difficulties playing smoothly DivX encoded
    AVIs, or High-Rate RealMedia, for example

    HTH
    --
    -- Ned

    Ned Guest