Professional Web Applications Themes

Fatal Error during Install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Uh-oh. I got a fatal error during install. The message indicated it was either media failure, lack of disk space, or a hardware problem. I know it's not either of the first two. Is there a HW test utility in Linux 7.2? Other suggestions? Thanks, Ken...

  1. #1

    Default Fatal Error during Install

    Uh-oh. I got a fatal error during install.

    The message indicated it was either media failure, lack of disk space,
    or a hardware problem. I know it's not either of the first two. Is
    there a HW test utility in Linux 7.2?

    Other suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fatal Error during Install

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:02:17 GMT, David <thunderbolt01netscape.net>
    wrote:
    >Ken Loomis wrote:
    >> Uh-oh. I got a fatal error during install.
    >
    >If the problems happens at different places during the install
    >you might want to re-seat the memory cards and then run a test on
    >it.
    It happens at the same place each time, installing net tools. I have
    7.2 on the system, I'm upgrading to 9.

    This has been one wierd ride. The 7.2 system stopped working all of a
    sudden and failed to boot. I sought assistance over at
    comp.os.linux.misc and got beat up pretty bad. Then I reinstalled it
    and it ran OK for a while and then stopped working again. Then I
    tried to install 9, but it wouldn;t go, then 7.2 wouldn't work at all.
    Then I reinstalled 7.2 as a server and not as a desk top, and so far
    all seems well.

    I do want to upgrade to 9 and especially I need to upgrade Apache and
    SSL. I can't get RPM working for the life of me.

    This really isn't much fun.

    --
    Ken
    Ken Loomis Guest

  3. #3

    Ken Loomis <kloomisnotarealaddress.com> wrote in
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:02:17 GMT, David <thunderbolt01netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ken Loomis wrote:
    >>> Uh-oh. I got a fatal error during install.
    >>
    >>If the problems happens at different places during the install
    >>you might want to re-seat the memory cards and then run a test on
    >>it.
    >
    > It happens at the same place each time, installing net tools. I have
    > 7.2 on the system, I'm upgrading to 9.
    >
    > This has been one wierd ride. The 7.2 system stopped working all of a
    > sudden and failed to boot. I sought assistance over at
    > comp.os.linux.misc and got beat up pretty bad.
    I saw that thread. It was rather unfair I thought.

    > Then I reinstalled it
    > and it ran OK for a while and then stopped working again. Then I
    > tried to install 9, but it wouldn;t go, then 7.2 wouldn't work at all.
    > Then I reinstalled 7.2 as a server and not as a desk top, and so far
    > all seems well.
    It really does sound like some sort of hardware problem. Maybe the
    desktop version and the RH9 install system (anaconda) are using some
    aspect of the hardware that the server version doesn't use. My brother in
    law's PC was doing a similar thing with Windoze - crashing and having
    trouble reinstalling Windoze from scratch (freezing during the install).
    I found a demo version of some PC hardware diagnostic software that
    quickly detected an intermitant problem with the RAM on his PC. Tried
    reseating the RAM - problem still there. Tried swapping the RAM out and
    discovered the faulty module. No problems since. I strongly suggest you
    run some hardware diagnostics on the PC. The diagnostics that the BIOS
    POST routines use are rudimentary at best. I have forgotten what the demo
    software I used was called. You had to install it onto a floppy disk and
    use the floppy to boot the machine you wanted to diagnose. It was quite a
    while ago. Try a google search for PC diagnostic software.

    > I do want to upgrade to 9 and especially I need to upgrade Apache and
    > SSL. I can't get RPM working for the life of me.
    >
    > This really isn't much fun.

    Best of luck.

    Llanzlan.
    Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th Guest

  4. #4

    On 4 Sep 2003 15:43:27 +1200, Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th
    <LlanzlanLlurdiaxorb.net> wrote:
    > I strongly suggest you
    >run some hardware diagnostics on the PC. The diagnostics that the BIOS
    >POST routines use are rudimentary at best. I have forgotten what the demo
    >software I used was called. You had to install it onto a floppy disk and
    >use the floppy to boot the machine you wanted to diagnose. It was quite a
    >while ago. Try a google search for PC diagnostic software.

    That's a good suggestion Llanzlan, and I will do it.

    Ken

    Ken Loomis Guest