Professional Web Applications Themes

fatal error on startup - Macromedia Director Basics

did u had some new memory when switching to XP?... sometimes new ram is the cause "janosch" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message news:be2jo6$cah$1forums.macromedia.com... > Since I use director on windows XP on a new machine I get the good old -fatal error, completely out of memory- problem when I startup director. It happens very often, but in very unpredictable ways. I am wondering what is going on. Any comment would be welcome. > > Jan > >...

  1. #1

    Default Re: fatal error on startup

    did u had some new memory when switching to XP?... sometimes new ram is the
    cause

    "janosch" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Since I use director on windows XP on a new machine I get the good
    old -fatal error, completely out of memory- problem when I startup director.
    It happens very often, but in very unpredictable ways. I am wondering what
    is going on. Any comment would be welcome.

    > Jan

    xphil Guest

  2. #2

    No, I just bought a new notebook with 512 RAM and I installed Director on it. I am completely sure if the fatal error showed up right from the beginning of using this notebook, but I believe it did.

    janosch webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    off course I meant: ..... I'm NOT completely sure.....

    janosch webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    It seems to happen when I close director while there are still one of more (script.)objects in memory.

    examples:
    1.
    I open a file in director. I create a script object by giving the .new() command in the message window. Then I close director. Director doesn't ask me to save, because I didn't change anything in the movie. On next start-up director will give the fatal error.

    2.
    I do the same things with one exception: before closing director I kill the object, that is, I set the objectreference to void. In this occasion director does not give the fatal error after the next start-up.

    janosch webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    It's the combination director 8.5/windows XP. It is possible to set the "compatibility"-proptery for director.exe to: "use compatibility mode Windows 98/Windows ME". After I had done this, the problem was solved.

    janosch webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    janosch...

    I believe I am having the same/similar problem?
    IT support rebuilt my hard drive and though its OS is windows 2000 professional, I believe the "office" put on there is XP. Director has been opening fine except when I try to open a movie file (*.dir) having some lineage from either a win98 or XP-Home machine.....I get the fatal error. I also get an error when running some projector files too.

    How do I get to where I can change the "campatibility" to test if changing that could fixe my fatal error problem.

    Thanks.
    Terry

    Terry E. Baxter
    Civil &amp; Environmental Engineering
    Northern Arizona University
    [url]www.cet.nau.edu/~teba[/url]
    teba Guest

  7. #7

    Just use the right mouse button on your director-icon. Choose "properties" and you will find compatibilty as one of the options.

    I hope changing this setting will help you.

    Janosch

    janosch webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks...as it turns out I do that and the compatibility option does not show up. I'll visit with our IT support and see what they can come up with. I'll keep you posted.

  9. #9

    Janosch:

    as promised, I am keeping you posted as to what I found out on this. It turns out that what was causing my fatal error is related to displaying text in 3d mode. It affected projector as well as source (dir) file. I removed 3d mode at home saved it as a new file and created new projector. I just opened the projector without any problems. The newly saved dir file opens fine too, but when I select 3d mode for text display, I get the error. I haven't search forum for this problem yet but will and assume it has something to do with what has not yet been reinstalled on my office machine, preventining it from rendering the text in 3d mode. ?

  10. #10

    janosch:

    a final update on my fatal error problem. It turned out to be the video driver installed was not the most current and did not handle 3d rendering. IT support got this updated from the video card manufacturer's site and now I am up and running fine again. The only lingering issue I see with this would be when a user (students in my case) run one of my projectors for class and their computer's video/display driver is not properly updated they will have the same fatal error with the projector. Guess I'll wait to see if complaints come in. Thanks for your help on this - bye.