Professional Web Applications Themes

Fatal errors with SQL (asserts, invalid page reads etc) - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Suddenly in one database we have a lot of errors, it seams some things are corrupted. I tried to start maintanance / database repair, but this fails too. When selecting in Query yzer a range of records from a table I get the following message: Location: p:\sql\ntdbms\storeng\drs\include\record.inl:1447 Expression: m_SizeRec > 0 && m_SizeRec <= MAXDATAROW SPID: 68 Process ID: 1208 When I select the record that causes this error, the following error is reported in Query yzer: Could not find the index entry for RID '163748993200' in index page (3:373352), index ID 0, database 'sal'. In the log I see ...

  1. #1

    Default Fatal errors with SQL (asserts, invalid page reads etc)

    Suddenly in one database we have a lot of errors, it seams some things are
    corrupted. I tried to start maintanance / database repair, but this fails
    too.

    When selecting in Query yzer a range of records from a table I get the
    following message:

    Location: p:\sql\ntdbms\storeng\drs\include\record.inl:1447
    Expression: m_SizeRec > 0 && m_SizeRec <= MAXDATAROW
    SPID: 68
    Process ID: 1208

    When I select the record that causes this error, the following error is
    reported in Query yzer:

    Could not find the index entry for RID '163748993200' in index page
    (3:373352), index ID 0, database 'sal'.

    In the log I see a lot of these messages:

    Stack Signature for the dump is 0x&D179C48
    Could not open FCD for invalid file ID 21761 in database'sal'
    I/O error (bad page ID) detected during read at offset 0x00000b64d2000

    How can this be fixed?
    How can I rebuild the index for one table / check integrity of one table?
    What kind of actions may caused this corruption (if it is corruption) ?
    How can it be prevented?

    I hope someone can help.

    Regards,

    Rene

    Rene Guest

  2. #2

    To check a single table, use DBCC CHECKTABLE. If there is only a
    non-clustered index problem, rebuild the index using DBCC DBREINDEX. Check
    for integrity of the whole database with DBCC CHECKDB. If ou have major
    problems, it could be that your HDD has errors.
    To prevent errors, use RAID 1, RAID 5 or RAID 10 arrays of disks for your
    database.
    Always have backup strategy.

    --
    Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
    FAQ from Neil & others at: [url]http://www.sqlserverfaq.com[/url]

    "Rene" <nospam.nl> wrote in message
    > Suddenly in one database we have a lot of errors, it seams some things are
    > corrupted. I tried to start maintanance / database repair, but this fails
    > too.
    >
    > When selecting in Query yzer a range of records from a table I get the
    > following message:
    >
    > Location: p:\sql\ntdbms\storeng\drs\include\record.inl:1447
    > Expression: m_SizeRec > 0 && m_SizeRec <= MAXDATAROW
    > SPID: 68
    > Process ID: 1208
    >
    > When I select the record that causes this error, the following error is
    > reported in Query yzer:
    >
    > Could not find the index entry for RID '163748993200' in index page
    > (3:373352), index ID 0, database 'sal'.
    >
    > In the log I see a lot of these messages:
    >
    > Stack Signature for the dump is 0x&D179C48
    > Could not open FCD for invalid file ID 21761 in database'sal'
    > I/O error (bad page ID) detected during read at offset 0x00000b64d2000
    >

    > How can this be fixed?
    > How can I rebuild the index for one table / check integrity of one table?
    > What kind of actions may caused this corruption (if it is corruption) ?
    > How can it be prevented?
    >
    > I hope someone can help.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rene

    Dejan Sarka Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for you answer. We have a raid 5 and daily backup, but this record
    was insert in may but we discovered it yesterday. I don't think a backup
    strategy can handle this.

    It seems that it is small problem since the server was stil operational for
    more then a month, it just caused some extra heartbeats since this is the
    first time I've got such problem.

    Thanks,

    Rene

    "Dejan Sarka" <dejan_please_reply_to_newsgroups.sarkaavtenta.si > schreef in
    bericht news:OmW$sjUQDHA.560TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    Rene Guest

  4. #4

    Rene (nospam.nl) writes:
    > Thanks for you answer. We have a raid 5 and daily backup, but this record
    > was insert in may but we discovered it yesterday. I don't think a backup
    > strategy can handle this.
    Nope. But a good backup strategy may make it possible to easy recover
    from a problem like this.

    The error you get has number 644. Search for 644 in Books Online, and
    you will find an article that describes you should handle this problem.

    --
    Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, [email]sommaralgonet.se[/email]

    Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp[/url]
    Erland Sommarskog Guest

  5. #5

    "Erland Sommarskog" <sommaralgonet.se> schreef in bericht

    > Nope. But a good backup strategy may make it possible to easy recover
    > from a problem like this.

    I've read some article on the net where the corruption was undetected for a
    long time, even the oldest backup was corrupted. Should be hard to recover,
    not?

    Rene

    Rene Guest

  6. #6

    Rene (nospam.nl) writes:
    > I've read some article on the net where the corruption was undetected
    > for a long time, even the oldest backup was corrupted. Should be hard to
    > recover, not?
    Yes, I have run into a case where a DBCC CHECKDB did not show any errors,
    but when you restroed the backup, there were errors. I should add that
    this was with SQL Server 6.0.

    But it is definitely a good idea to every now and then restore a backup
    and run a DBCC on the restored copy. As it is to every now and then to
    restore a database, and then apply transaction log dumps to a certain
    point in time. That is also part of a backup strategy: make certain
    that if the disaster strikes that you actually know that the restore
    procedures are working.