Professional Web Applications Themes

fatal exception. Help! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm using DW MX on W98 SE. A couple of days ago, DW started crashing while I was working, usually within a couple minutes of launch of DW. Pretty soon, it was happening all the time, and I could not do any work in DW because it would simply crash if I tried to do anything. I would get the following error: Dreamweaver encountered a fatal exception. Dreamweaver will terminate. I looked online for any DW updates, and found the 6.1 updater. I tried it, and the problem continued. So I uninstalled DW and reinstalled it to see if it ...

  1. #1

    Default fatal exception. Help!

    I'm using DW MX on W98 SE.

    A couple of days ago, DW started crashing while I was working, usually within a couple minutes of launch of DW. Pretty soon, it was happening all the time, and I could not do any work in DW because it would simply crash if I tried to do anything.

    I would get the following error:
    Dreamweaver encountered a fatal exception. Dreamweaver will terminate.

    I looked online for any DW updates, and found the 6.1 updater. I tried it, and the problem continued.

    So I uninstalled DW and reinstalled it to see if it would do anything. The same problem occurred.

    So I decided to reinstall my entire system. I haven't tried updating to DW 6.1 yet, but the problems still continue.

    This is more than a little annoying, as I can't get any work done with this problem in existence. Is there anything I can do to correct it?

    Thanks!

    tonomud webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: fatal exception. Help!

    Did you add any new software, specifically a virus detection engine which may
    have initiated the problem? I never had any problems with DMX.1 on win98se, only
    when I upgraded my system to XPpro. I think DW definitely has some compatibility
    problems.

    wrrn Guest

  3. #3

    tono:

    Running DMX on W9x/Me is going to be something that requires constant
    intervention to prevent routine OS crashing. The problem is that the
    operating system is just not able to provide the resources that you are
    asking it to. Remember that W9x/Me is the last gasp of an OS that was
    originally developed in 1984. As such either of these are nearly incapable
    of performing as contemporary environments.

    All of the W9x/Me variants are based around a memory model that was
    originally used in W3x. It has changed, but not in a way that would
    significantly
    impact this issue since that time.

    The salient issue in this memory model is the space that is allocated to the
    OS for scratchpad type work, i.e., tracking what processes are running, what
    windows are open, what file handles are in use, etc. In 1984, it seemed
    perfectly reasonable to make this memory segment be 64K (I think that is the
    right number - could be 48K, though), and it was. However in 2003, that
    region of memory fills rather quickly.

    What happens with that scratchpad space fills up? You get General
    Protection Faults, or Kernel32 errors, or system lockups, or BSOD symptoms.
    W9x/Me is not graceful when it fails.

    How can you prevent this from happening? Not by adding more RAM, since that
    scratchpad size is hardwired in the OS, and since it is taken from the first
    megabyte of memory, there is not too much you can do by adding hardware.
    But there is alot you can do in general (although it will not REALLY be
    enough in the long run).

    The first thing you have to do is to learn how to monitor this space so you
    can know where you stand on the "likely to crash" meter -

    System Resources is what you see when you do

    START | Settings > Control Panel > System > Performance Tab

    and a value of less than 30% for this is indicative of a rapidly approaching
    freight train. Save your files and reboot quickly!

    After a cold restart, and before running anything else, you *SHOULD* have a
    SR value of about 80%. If you do not, then you have already added so much
    to your system (over time, probably) that you can expect to have continuing
    problems. Look at your System Tray, and see how many icons you have there.
    Each one of those is a background process that is stealing resources. Do a
    CTRL-ALT-DEL and look at the processes listed in that Panel. If you have
    more than about 10, then you are losing lots of your resources to these.

    The answer is (if you must continue using these antique operting systems
    instead of upgrading to W2KPro or WXPPro - a much more robust and suitable
    OS), then you must aggressively prune all of the unnecessary
    background/startup processes from your system by removing them from your
    startup process. Using msconfig for this is a good place to start.

    Hope that helps you - remember 80% after a cold boot will keep you pretty
    clean.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "tonomud" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using DW MX on W98 SE.
    >
    > A couple of days ago, DW started crashing while I was working, usually
    within a couple minutes of launch of DW. Pretty soon, it was happening all
    the time, and I could not do any work in DW because it would simply crash
    if I tried to do anything.

    > I would get the following error:
    > Dreamweaver encountered a fatal exception. Dreamweaver will terminate.
    >
    > I looked online for any DW updates, and found the 6.1 updater. I tried
    it, and the problem continued.

    > So I uninstalled DW and reinstalled it to see if it would do anything.
    The same problem occurred.

    > So I decided to reinstall my entire system. I haven't tried updating to
    DW 6.1 yet, but the problems still continue.

    > This is more than a little annoying, as I can't get any work done with
    this problem in existence. Is there anything I can do to correct it?

    > Thanks!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    I haven't installed anything recently that I can think of that might interfere with DW. I just disabled my antivirus software, restarted, and tried to use DW, to no avail.

    In terms of system resources, there is about 87% free, and DW still gets the fatal exception and terminates.

    I used msconfig to get rid of several unneccessary processes, which gave me a few more % in the system resources. Unfortunately, it still doesn't fix the problem that I'm having.

    I've been using DW on this exact same machine for nearly 6 months with only a few minor changes over that length of time. I've never had this problem before.

    It seems like a complete reinstall of W98 (like I just finished) would correct this problem. I guess not. Could this problem be caused by failing hardware of some sort? (bad RAM, HD, something else?????)

    Please keep the suggestions coming--I'd like to be able to use my machine for work!

    tonomud webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    tono:
    > In terms of system resources, there is about 87% free
    This is after a cold boot? What do you have after starting and running DMX?
    > I've never had this problem before
    This certainly suggests that SOMETHING on your system has changed, since I
    know that DMX has not! 8)
    > It seems like a complete reinstall of W98 (like I just finished) would
    correct this problem.

    It should have. The fact that it did not would either mean that your
    problem is hardware related (I doubt it), or related to some other software
    you installed (perhaps), or related to a flaw in DMX (possible I guess, but
    there are others here who run DMX successfully on W98), or related to some
    inherent configuration of your system/network that has been recreated after
    the reinstall.

    Was your reinstall a complete one? In other words, did you reformat,
    reinstall Windows, and all your other apps?

    Any chance you could upgrade to WXPPro or W2KPro?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > I haven't installed anything recently that I can think of that might
    interfere with DW. I just disabled my antivirus software, restarted, and
    tried to use DW, to no avail.

    > In terms of system resources, there is about 87% free, and DW still gets
    the fatal exception and terminates.

    > I used msconfig to get rid of several unneccessary processes, which gave
    me a few more % in the system resources. Unfortunately, it still doesn't
    fix the problem that I'm having.

    > I've been using DW on this exact same machine for nearly 6 months with
    only a few minor changes over that length of time. I've never had this
    problem before.

    > It seems like a complete reinstall of W98 (like I just finished) would
    correct this problem. I guess not. Could this problem be caused by failing
    hardware of some sort? (bad RAM, HD, something else?????)

    > Please keep the suggestions coming--I'd like to be able to use my machine
    for work!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Just an idea- but did you alter any of the DW configurations/preferences? Maybe
    you changed something that Win98 doesn't like/?

    I know how frustrating it can be; I stayed up till 4am trying to get
    apache/mysql/php installed correctly.
    Hang in there.

    wrrn Guest