Professional Web Applications Themes

FDF Import - Adobe Acrobat SDK

hello, what is the purpose of FDFEmbedAndClose. Can we use this function to merge two FDFDoc's. If so, does the resulting FDF file contain two copies of PDF Doent which is set as source file in FDF file. If not what purpose does FDFEmbedAndClose serve? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Re: FDF Import

    gundlaR@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Can we use this function to merge two FDFDoc's

    No, it merges an FDF with the referenced PDF and then closes the PDF.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the response, that was quick

    "it merges an FDF with the referenced PDF and then closes the PDF" am still not able to understand its purpose. i mean FDFSetFile does the same as well.So what additional purpose does this serve. What am i missing ?

    Thanks again
    gundlaR@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    i mean FDFSetFile does the same as well.

    No it doesn't. FDFSetFile simply sets the reference inside the FDF. You should read the doentation more carefully.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    sorry about that. i guess, i should be asking when should i be using FDFEmbedAndClose. is there a sample code snippet available for any of its application.

    what i am currently doing to prefill a pdf form is making a fdf file with the reference set to the desired pdf form. i open the fdf file thru FDFSaveToFile/FDFSaveToBuf which results in opening the pdf form with fdf data.

    was wondering if i could use FDFEmbedAndClose in the above context. if not what would be a scenario where i can use this function.

    thanks again.
    gundlaR@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    what i understand from the doentation is that, FDFEmbedAndClose acts as a container FDFdoc for multiple FDFDoc's. Is that right ?

    my understanding is based of the following text from the doentation

    Parameters for FDFEmbedAndClose :-
    theContainerFDF - The container that holds one or more FDFs

    theEmbeddedFDF - The FDF to embed. It is automatically closed with this call unless FDFErcBadParameter is returned.

    cPassword - If the embedded FDF should be stored encrypted, you need to provide the correct password. The password is a nullterminated
    array of bytes. If you pass an empty string (or NULL in C), the FDF will be embedded in an unencrypted state.

    if so, how can we use theContainerFDF to generate mutiple pdf's in accordance with multiple fdf's present in it

  7. #7

    how can we use theContainerFDF to generate mutiple pdf's in accordance
    with multiple fdf's present in it

    I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Could you elaborate?
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    what i am currently doing to prefill a pdf form is making a fdf file with the reference set to the desired pdf form. i open the fdf file thru FDFSaveToFile/FDFSaveToBuf which results in opening the pdf form with fdf data.

    this works fine for one fdf file. But if i want to batch process multiple fdf files and generate a single fdf file which would then generate a single pdf file with multiple files corresponding to each fdf file.

    Is this possible ?

  9. #9

    adding to my earlier post, thats the reason i was wondering what does FDFEmbedAndClose does. What is the purpose of theContainerFDF and how it can be used.

    from the posts i have read, merging fdfdoc's into one single fdfdoc is not possible unless i use other 3rd party tools. If thats true, i still want to know when should i be using FDFEmbedAndClose.

  10. #10

    If thats true, i still want to know when should i be using FDFEmbedAndClose.

    Well, if you're looking for an official answer that you can take to your bosses, you might want to ask Adobe.

    So what you want to do is have a single "template" PDF, then combine multiple FDFs into a single FDF, and have each FDF individually fill that single "template" PDF and save as a separate copy?

    Yes, this would be possible as long as each individual FDF forced the PDF to perform a save action, which may not be possible based on security restrictions in the end users version of Reader or Acrobat.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest