Professional Web Applications Themes

Feasibility of creating SWF in Illustrator? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm learning Illustrator and am trying to figure out if I can take 3 jpeg files and make them into a single SWF file, with fading in & out. Also, I'd like to attach a hyperlink to each separate jpeg comprising the SWF. Is that possible? thanks in advance! Ann...

  1. #1

    Default Feasibility of creating SWF in Illustrator?

    Ann_Mauro@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Feasibility of creating SWF in Illustrator?

    What version of AI?

    CS2 added some improvements to SWF export. The SWF export dialog (not the Save For Web dialog) now lets you specify a particular layer as one to serve as a static background while the other layers (or Blends)animate.

    An Animate Blends checbox was also added so you don't have to Release To Layers. (You would still have to use Release To Layers on Groups which result from other step-and-repeat effects like the Transform Effect).

    So to fade a raster image in earlier versions,you could:

    1. Drag the image to the Symbols Palette to make it a Symbol. (This is because you cannot blend between two raster images; but you can blend between two instances of the same Symbol.)

    2. Drag two Instances of the Symbol onto the page. Align them vertically and horizontally so they are stacked right on top of each other. Set the opacity of the top one to zero. Select both and Object>Blend>Make (Use Object>Blend>Blend Options to set the number of steps as desired).

    3. Select the Blend. From the Layers Palette flyout menu select Release To Layers, Sequence. Select all the new layers and drag them to the top of the Layers stack (because they have to be top-level Layers to become SWF frames).

    4. Export to SWF or use Save For Web>SWF, using the AI Layers to SWF Frames option.

    With the improvments in CS2 mentioned above, another method is possible:

    1. Put the image on its own layer.
    2. Add a Layer. Draw a path (like a rectangle) on the new Layer, covering all or part of the image. Give the path a white fill.
    3. Copy the path. Paste In Front. Select the two stacked paths and Object>Blend>Make. Adjust the Blend Options as desired.

    4. Export to SWF, using AI Layers to SWF Frames. Turn on the checkbox for Animate Blends and Sequence. Turn on the checkbox for UseBackground and designate the Layer that has the image on it as the background layer.

    As for the hyperlinks; you can add URL links to objects or Slices in AI's Attributes Palette. However, as far as I can tell, those links only survive export to SWF if it is a static SWF (AI file to SWF file). And even if that did work, I don't think there is any way to designate another layer of the same file the target of the hyperlink. So it seems you would need to create three different SWF files, and add the hyperlinks between them manually in the HTML files.

    Also, while CS2 makes more efficiently structured SWFs than CS1 (and I much appreciate those improvements), the fact remains that AI's SWF export is still really best left to things appropriate for frame-by-frame animations (changing shapes--things that would have to be done as frame-by-frame in Flash also).

    Transformation animations like movement, scaling, or effects--like your image browser example--are still much better done in Flash, where you have a timeline to adjust duration (instead of trying to control duration by the number of blend steps); where you have control over easing in and out; where the transformation can be accomplished as a simple script command rather than as discrete frames with repeating content; and where you can add the navigation interactivity you want within the SWF itself using goto or show/hide interactivity.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It is also worth noting that if you are using CS2, and you expect to use blends between objects with the Transform effect applied to animate rotations or scales, you should pick up the 12.0.1 update. CS2 introduced a bug in the blending of Transform effects which is fixed in the update.

    JET: There is someone in the Feature Requests board who is claiming that the best SWF export was in AI 9 and that it has been messed up ever since 10. Since you are the most expert user of AI to SWF around here, perhaps you are aware of some change between 9 and 10 that requires a change in workflow or something?
    Teri Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks!
    I have AI CS 11.0.0. Not sure if that means I can do any of the suggested...

    If AI isn't the best tool to do what I'm looking to do, how can I do it in Flash? Is there a separate product for that? (I know it's probably not an Adobe product, so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by asking this)

    thanks,

  5. #5

    Ann,
     [/ref]

    Yes, it is Macromedia's Flash! (Adobe used to have a product called
    LiveMotion that produced SWF files, but have dropped that product)
    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    how can I do it in Flash?

    Import the JPEG to the Stage in Flash.

    Modify>Convert to Symbol.

    Enter a new Keyframe some distance down the timeline in the same layer.

    Select the Symbol in the new Keyframe.

    Properties Panel: Set its color to Alpha. Enter zero percent.

    RightClick a frame between the two keyframes. Select Create Motion Tween from the contextual menu.

    JET
    James_E._Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks!!!!