Professional Web Applications Themes

Fedora and PCMCIA support - upgrade kernel? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi folks, I've read that the kernel in Fedora Core 1 has issues with PCMCIA, and after doing a full install on my laptop, I found this to be true as it doesn't recognize any PCMCIA device. Earlier this week, I upgraded RH9 to Fedora C1 on this laptop, and all went well, but several components didn't install, which caused many apps to not compile properly... so I went ahead and did a full install. Now, nothing PCMCIA works. So, is there a patch for the 2.4.22 kernel that'll get this working, or should I upgrade to 2.6 test? Also, ...

  1. #1

    Default Fedora and PCMCIA support - upgrade kernel?

    Hi folks,

    I've read that the kernel in Fedora Core 1 has issues with PCMCIA, and
    after doing a full install on my laptop, I found this to be true as it
    doesn't recognize any PCMCIA device.

    Earlier this week, I upgraded RH9 to Fedora C1 on this laptop, and all
    went well, but several components didn't install, which caused many
    apps to not compile properly... so I went ahead and did a full
    install. Now, nothing PCMCIA works.

    So, is there a patch for the 2.4.22 kernel that'll get this working,
    or should I upgrade to 2.6 test? Also, I've never done a full-on
    kernel install, so are there any sites that'll guide me through this?
    I've recompiled many times, but never a full install of a newer kernel
    or patch.

    Thanks for any advice, and take care.

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fedora and PCMCIA support - upgrade kernel?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 05:28:53 -0800, Alex typed:

    PCMCIA support with Red Hat's supplied kernels is spotty at best. You do
    not need to upgrade the kernel, all you need to do is repair/fix the
    PCMCIA support problem (you need to be root or equivalent for some of
    this);

    Remove the kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13.i386.rpm;

    $ rpm -e kernel-pcmcia-cs

    Download and install kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.i386.rpm

    $ rpm -i kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.i386.rpm

    Type; cd /usr/src/linux-2.4

    It is important that kernel build starts with the source tree in a known
    condition.

    Type; make mrproper
    Type; make xconfig

    This open an xterm kernel configuration screen that you can use to
    customize your kernel.

    Click on the Load configuration from File button

    This will open a new window, in this window type in the following;
    /boot/config-2.4.22-
    (the filename matches your current kernel_version number)

    Click on the OK button

    The window will close and you will be back at the kernel configuration
    screen.

    Click on the General setup button
    (new window will open)

    Click on the PCMCIA/CardBus support button (new window will open)

    Click on the n next to the top choice of PCMCIA/CardBus support

    Click on the OK button
    (window closes)

    Click on the Main Menu button
    (window closes)

    Click on the Save and Exit button
    (window closes)

    You now should be ready to build a new kernel with kernel PCMCIA support
    disabled, now you can build it.

    Type; make dep
    Type; make clean
    Type; make bzImage
    Type; make modules

    This will take a fair amount of time, don't worry, be patient, have a
    drink and maybe something to eat!

    Type; make modules_install
    Type; make install

    This will write a new kernel boot option in grub, the one you just
    finished building and just installed.

    Download and unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz available at;
    http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

    From the console or xterm session from the location you stored the
    downloaded pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 package;

    Type; tar -zxpvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz

    Type; cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.4

    Re-boot the system and select the new kernel you built earlier, hint it
    will have custom at the end of the menu choice.

    Type; ./Configure

    Answer the following questions like the examples below;

    kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4

    build trusting versions: n

    include 32-bit cardbus support: y

    PnP BIOS resource checking: n

    Module install dir: /lib/modules/2.4.22-custom (the directory
    matches your new kernel_version number)

    Type; make all
    Type; make install

    In /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, you should have;

    PCMCIA=yes
    PCIC=i82365
    PCIC_OPTS=
    CORE_OPTS=
    CARDMGR_OPTS=

    You can check with the command; cat /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia

    If not, using your choice of editor, edit the file and make any needed
    changes.

    Further help and reading can be found here;

    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
    http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  3. #3

    Lenard <0.0.1> wrote in message news:<0.0.1>...

    > PCMCIA support with Red Hat's supplied kernels is spotty at best. You do
    > not need to upgrade the kernel, all you need to do is repair/fix the
    > PCMCIA support problem (you need to be root or equivalent for some of
    > this);
    > [snip][/ref]

    Whoa.... I guess You've done this a few times :) Thanks for the
    direction... I'll do it tonight when I get home, and hopfully I'll
    have PCMCIA support shortly after.

    Thanks again, and I'll post results afterwards. Take care,

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  4. #4

> [...]
    >
    > Type; ./Configure
    >
    > Answer the following questions like the examples below;
    >
    > kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4
    >
    > build trusting versions: n
    >
    > include 32-bit cardbus support: y
    >
    > PnP BIOS resource checking: n
    >
    > Module install dir: /lib/modules/2.4.22-custom (the directory
    > matches your new kernel_version number)
    >
    > Type; make all
    > Type; make install
    >
    > In /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia, you should have;
    >
    > PCMCIA=yes
    > PCIC=i82365
    > PCIC_OPTS=
    > CORE_OPTS=
    > CARDMGR_OPTS=
    >
    > You can check with the command; cat /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
    >
    > If not, using your choice of editor, edit the file and make any needed
    > changes.
    >
    > Further help and reading can be found here;

    Hi...

    Thanks again for the help, but alas, didn't work. when I ran 'make
    modules', it ran for about 45 minutes and errored out with vmlinux
    error. I went ahead and ran 'make modules-install' and 'make
    install', but it didn't do much after that. Rebooted and no second
    kernel listed.

    I guess Fedora isn't as robust as Red Hat 9 since I do remember doing
    this one in Red Hat to add NTFS support. I'll try to do a complete
    install of Fedora C1, maybe I missed something... though i checked
    almost EVERYTHING on the install, including all development tools
    because I anticipated doing something like this to get PCMCIA support.
    If this doesn't work, back to RH9 or another distro.

    Take care and thanks for all the info you posted... maybe it'll work
    for someone else better then I.

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  5. #5

    Alex wrote:

    What exactly does this mean?
    What happens if you put a PCMCIA card in?
    Do you get any beeps?

    I doubt if you need to re-compile the kernel, as someone advised.
    You probably need to install the correct module,
    probably yenta_socket (by "modprobe yenta_socket").
    Is yenta_socket and/or pcmcia_core listed when you say "lsmod"?

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  6. #6

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:01:21 -0800, Alex typed:

    Once the make modules errored out you should have quit. No reason to
    continue.

    Here's a couple of other possible methods that may help;

    Method One

    Check if the kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13.i386.rpm package is installed, if
    not then install it. After you have checked or installed the package you
    need to edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia file. You need to remove the .o
    extensions on lines 107-9.

    Method Two

    You need the kernel-source RPM package for your current kernel installed
    and you need to remove the kernel-pcmcia-cs RPM package. It basically the
    same as the other directions I gave you with a couple of changes.

    Download and unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz available at;
    http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/

    From the console or xterm session from the location you stored the
    downloaded pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 package;

    Type; tar -zxpvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz

    Type; cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.4

    Type; ./Configure --force --extraver=<version_number>

    If you don't to this then it will use <version_number>custom as the kernel
    source tree. Use the version_number of your actual kernel(Hint:uname -r).

    Answer the following questions like the examples below;

    kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4

    build trusting versions: n

    include 32-bit cardbus support: y

    PnP BIOS resource checking: n

    Module install dir: /lib/modules/<kernel_version_number>

    Type; make all
    Type; make install

  7. #7

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:28:39 -0800, Alex typed:

    Just once.... I no longer use any kernels supplied by Red Hat. Happily
    running kernel-2.4.23-rc1

  8. #8

    Lenard <0.0.1> wrote in message news:<0.0.1>...

    > Once the make modules errored out you should have quit. No reason to
    > continue.

    > Here's a couple of other possible methods that may help;
    >
    > Method One
    >
    > Check if the kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13.i386.rpm package is installed, if
    > not then install it. After you have checked or installed the package you
    > need to edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia file. You need to remove the .o
    > extensions on lines 107-9.
    >

    > Method Two
    >
    > You need the kernel-source RPM package for your current kernel installed
    > and you need to remove the kernel-pcmcia-cs RPM package. It basically the
    > same as the other directions I gave you with a couple of changes.
    >
    > Download and unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz available at;
    > http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > From the console or xterm session from the location you stored the
    > downloaded pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 package;
    >
    > Type; tar -zxpvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz
    >
    > Type; cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.4
    >
    > Type; ./Configure --force --extraver=<version_number>
    >
    > If you don't to this then it will use <version_number>custom as the kernel
    > source tree. Use the version_number of your actual kernel(Hint:uname -r).
    >
    > Answer the following questions like the examples below;
    >
    > kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4
    >
    > build trusting versions: n
    >
    > include 32-bit cardbus support: y
    >
    > PnP BIOS resource checking: n
    >
    > Module install dir: /lib/modules/<kernel_version_number>
    >
    > Type; make all
    > Type; make install[/ref]

    Hi Lenard,

    Thanks again for the info... I'll try this one out, but here's some
    new stuff.

    I did a complete install of Fedora Core 1, everything... and after
    this, I did get a link light on the PCMCIA 3Com network card, and it
    does beep when I start the system.. and it did find an IP via DHCP,
    but nothing pings or resolves. I can't even ping anything on my local
    network.

    I went ahead and tried to follow the previous set of instructions
    again, and it failed on kallsy ms Error 1 then vmlinux error 2 during
    'make bzImage'. I'll try to add the above to the mix and see what
    happens. I do have the kernel source RPM installed btw.

    Thanks again,

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  9. #9

    Timothy Murphy <maths.tcd.ie> wrote in message news:<xJosb.5715$indigo.ie>...

    > What exactly does this mean?
    > What happens if you put a PCMCIA card in?
    > Do you get any beeps?
    >
    > I doubt if you need to re-compile the kernel, as someone advised.
    > You probably need to install the correct module,
    > probably yenta_socket (by "modprobe yenta_socket").
    > Is yenta_socket and/or pcmcia_core listed when you say "lsmod"?[/ref]

    Hi.. yes, the laptop beeps on startup and when I unplug/replug the
    network card in. It even gets an IP address, but nothing else. I
    can't ping anything. I setup the NIC with a static IP and same thing.

    When I run lsmod, I do have 'yenta_socket' listed. Is there an update
    to this? I'm starting to think about installing a new kernel all
    together if this doesn't work.

    Thanks again.

    Alex
    Alex Guest

  10. #10

    Lenard <0.0.1> wrote in message news:<0.0.1>...

    > Once the make modules errored out you should have quit. No reason to
    > continue.

    > Here's a couple of other possible methods that may help;
    >
    > Method One
    >
    > Check if the kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13.i386.rpm package is installed, if
    > not then install it. After you have checked or installed the package you
    > need to edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia file. You need to remove the .o
    > extensions on lines 107-9.
    >

    > Method Two
    >
    > You need the kernel-source RPM package for your current kernel installed
    > and you need to remove the kernel-pcmcia-cs RPM package. It basically the
    > same as the other directions I gave you with a couple of changes.
    >
    > Download and unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz available at;
    > http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > From the console or xterm session from the location you stored the
    > downloaded pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 package;
    >
    > Type; tar -zxpvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz
    >
    > Type; cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.4
    >
    > Type; ./Configure --force --extraver=<version_number>
    >
    > If you don't to this then it will use <version_number>custom as the kernel
    > source tree. Use the version_number of your actual kernel(Hint:uname -r).
    >
    > Answer the following questions like the examples below;
    >
    > kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4
    >
    > build trusting versions: n
    >
    > include 32-bit cardbus support: y
    >
    > PnP BIOS resource checking: n
    >
    > Module install dir: /lib/modules/<kernel_version_number>
    >
    > Type; make all
    > Type; make install[/ref]

    Update....

    After getting the error during 'make bzImage', I rebooted and nothing
    on the network card... not even a link light. I then compiled the
    pcmcia-cs file and rebooted. Now, the link light is back, but at
    first no network support. I did find that if I pop the card out and
    push it back in, I do hear it beep, then network card works.

    During startup I noticed that it started eth0 before it starts
    PCMCIA... so it gets an error saying network card not found. After
    the system starts, I'm thinking popping-out the card and putting back
    in causes Linux to find it correctly and starts everything proper.

    So... for now, network is working. Is there anyway to change the
    order in which Fedora starts everything? If so, maybe moving eth0
    after PCMCIA will do the trick.

    Thanks for all the help...

    Alex.
    Alex Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:54:19 -0800, Alex wrote:

    >> Once the make modules errored out you should have quit. No reason to
    >> continue.
    >>

    >> Here's a couple of other possible methods that may help;
    >>
    >> Method One
    >>
    >> Check if the kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13.i386.rpm package is installed,
    >> if not then install it. After you have checked or installed the package
    >> you need to edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia file. You need to remove
    >> the .o extensions on lines 107-9.
    >>

    >> Method Two
    >>
    >> You need the kernel-source RPM package for your current kernel installed
    >> and you need to remove the kernel-pcmcia-cs RPM package. It basically
    >> the same as the other directions I gave you with a couple of changes.
    >>
    >> Download and unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz available at;
    >> http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> From the console or xterm session from the location you stored the
    >> downloaded pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 package;
    >>
    >> Type; tar -zxpvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.4.tar.gz
    >>
    >> Type; cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.4
    >>
    >> Type; ./Configure --force --extraver=<version_number>
    >>
    >> If you don't to this then it will use <version_number>custom as the
    >> kernel source tree. Use the version_number of your actual
    >> kernel(Hint:uname -r).
    >>
    >> Answer the following questions like the examples below;
    >>
    >> kernel source directory is: /usr/src/linux-2.4
    >>
    >> build trusting versions: n
    >>
    >> include 32-bit cardbus support: y
    >>
    >> PnP BIOS resource checking: n
    >>
    >> Module install dir: /lib/modules/<kernel_version_number>
    >>
    >> Type; make all
    >> Type; make install[/ref]
    >

    > Update....
    >
    > After getting the error during 'make bzImage', I rebooted and nothing on
    > the network card... not even a link light. I then compiled the pcmcia-cs
    > file and rebooted. Now, the link light is back, but at first no network
    > support. I did find that if I pop the card out and push it back in, I do
    > hear it beep, then network card works.
    >
    > During startup I noticed that it started eth0 before it starts PCMCIA...
    > so it gets an error saying network card not found. After the system
    > starts, I'm thinking popping-out the card and putting back in causes Linux
    > to find it correctly and starts everything proper.
    >
    > So... for now, network is working. Is there anyway to change the order in
    > which Fedora starts everything? If so, maybe moving eth0 after PCMCIA
    > will do the trick.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help...
    >
    > Alex.[/ref]

    On my laptop with an external PCMCIA network card, the card initializes
    after eth0 would normally have been brought up. I added the following line
    to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
    /sbin/ifup eth0

    This picks up an IP address and gets things running just fine. Hope it
    helps you in your situation.

    wesley Guest

  12. #12

    Alex wrote:

    >> What exactly does this mean?
    >> What happens if you put a PCMCIA card in?
    >> Do you get any beeps?
    >>
    >> I doubt if you need to re-compile the kernel, as someone advised.
    >> You probably need to install the correct module,
    >> probably yenta_socket (by "modprobe yenta_socket").
    >> Is yenta_socket and/or pcmcia_core listed when you say "lsmod"?[/ref]
    >

    > Hi.. yes, the laptop beeps on startup and when I unplug/replug the
    > network card in. It even gets an IP address, but nothing else. I
    > can't ping anything. I setup the NIC with a static IP and same thing.
    >
    > When I run lsmod, I do have 'yenta_socket' listed. Is there an update
    > to this? I'm starting to think about installing a new kernel all
    > together if this doesn't work.[/ref]

    Personally, I doubt if you need to update anything, except config files.
    However, I don't set up as an expert.

    What does "cardctl ident" say when the card is installed?
    Is there an appropriate entry for this card in /etc/pcmcia/config ?
    Is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 correct?
    Have you tried Start=>System Settings=>Network Configuration ?

  13. #13

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:54:19 -0800, Alex typed:

    You need to (as root) change/modify the name of the SXXpcmcia in
    /etc/rc.d/rc5.d to SYYpcmcia and to the same in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and maybe
    /etc/rc.d/rc4.d

    For example let's say your pcmcia service is S24pcmcia and your network
    service is S10network by renaming S24pcmcia to S09pcmcia the pcmcia
    service will start before the network service.