Professional Web Applications Themes

FH 10 won't launch new doent - Macromedia Freehand

Recently, I tried to copy and paste a small group of objects from an exisiting doent to a new doent. However, before I could paste the objects into the new doent, the application crashed. Now I can't create any new blank doents (using file>new or command N). I've tried numerous uninstalls/installs and trashing prefs, but to now avail. Any thoughts? Without being able to create new doents, the program is pretty much inoperable aside from opening and editing existing doents and upgrading to MX isn't an option. I'm running Freehand 10.0.1 on a Mac OS 10.3.4....

  1. #1

    Default FH 10 won't launch new doent

    Recently, I tried to copy and paste a small group of objects from an exisiting
    doent to a new doent. However, before I could paste the objects into the
    new doent, the application crashed.

    Now I can't create any new blank doents (using file>new or command N). I've
    tried numerous uninstalls/installs and trashing prefs, but to now avail. Any
    thoughts? Without being able to create new doents, the program is pretty
    much inoperable aside from opening and editing existing doents and upgrading
    to MX isn't an option.

    I'm running Freehand 10.0.1 on a Mac OS 10.3.4.

    chadvirus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FH 10 won't launch new doent

    Hi ChadV,
    I'm on XP platform and this may not be usable to you on a mac but....

    Have you checked the directory where the default new doent (defaults.ft10
    on pc, no file extention on mac) is located? This maybe damaged, renamed or non
    excisting?
    Path on a PC to default doc is
    C:\Programfiles\Macromedia\FreeHand 10\English

    You have deleted prefs, installed again..... mmh.... strange .....
    Take a Copy of the Defaults doc from another computer and paste in the
    \English directory and see if that works.

    Allway keep a backup of your prefs file for later when things like this occur.

    Good luck
    Bjorn

    Dritalei Guest

  3. #3

    thanks,
    i did try replacing the default doents (English/Defaults Ltr and Defaults
    A4), but that didn't seem to work either. i actually do have a backup copy,
    which i'll try, however it almost seems like it is some problem with a script
    (perhaps in the system) which won't allow me to create new files.

    i'll see if the backup resolves anything, but i'm not holding my breath.

    chadvirus Guest

  4. #4

    The crash may have damaged some of your Mac OS X permissions files. Using
    Disk Utility, repair permissions. That might fix it.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.4

    chadvirus wrote:
    > i did try replacing the default doents (English/Defaults Ltr and Defaults
    > A4), but that didn't seem to work either. i actually do have a backup copy,
    > which i'll try, however it almost seems like it is some problem with a script
    > (perhaps in the system) which won't allow me to create new files.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    backup didn't help either. i've attached the crash log of what happened right before it stopped working, if that helps anyone. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    chadvirus Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Judy. Unfortunately no luck with repairing permissions. Still won't launch a new file. Any other suggestions?
    chadvirus Guest

  7. #7

    Reinstalling doesn't always clear up problems. When I reinstall FHMX, none
    of the files in the Settings folder are overwritten. Therefore, to get a
    clean reinstall, you must first manually remove the settings files. Make
    sure to back up any customized files (templates, symbols, hoses etc.) you
    want to keep.

    Here's the chain of command for launching a new doc. Check to see if
    everything is working.

    1. The location of the new doent template is set in Preferences. Make
    sure you have prefs pointing to the right template, and make sure the
    template can be found. Can you open it using the Open command? If not, the
    template may have become corrupted.

    2. If you're using keyboard shortcut Cmd-N, for New doent, then make sure
    the shortcut is assigned to File > New.

    3. Default New doc templates are in the Settings folder. If you have more
    than one Settings folder FH might be looking in the wrong place for a
    template. In FHMX, this is the path to Settings -- not sure what it is for
    FH 10.
    Users/(YourUsername)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/
    11/ English/ Settings

    Hope something here helps.

    Judy Arndt

  8. #8

    Here's your crash culprit!
    ---- from crash log -----
    0xc0000000 - 0xc000efff com.unsanity.ape 1.4.1
    /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationEnha
    ncer
    ---------------

    Do you have FontCard or another Unsanity utility installed? The crash was
    caused by (no surprise here) ApplicationEnhancer. What a troublesome piece
    of junk! It crashed my system too until I banished it -- utterly and
    completely.

    File attachments aren't posted to the newsgroup server, where I read this
    forum, so I hadn't looked at your crash log before.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  9. #9

    Reinstalling doesn't always clear up problems. When I reinstall FHMX, none
    of the files in the Settings folder are overwritten. Therefore, to get a
    clean reinstall, you must first manually remove the settings files. Make
    sure to back up any customized files (templates, symbols, hoses etc.) you
    want to keep.

    Did that...also ran uninstall before install and it didn't work.

    1. The location of the new doent template is set in Preferences. Make
    sure you have prefs pointing to the right template, and make sure the
    template can be found. Can you open it using the Open command? If not, the
    template may have become corrupted.

    It is correct, in fact, I'm using an alias of the template now to create new
    doents.

    2. If you're using keyboard shortcut Cmd-N, for New doent, then make sure
    the shortcut is assigned to File > New.

    Check. It doesn't open when using the menu either.

    3. Default New doc templates are in the Settings folder. If you have more
    than one Settings folder FH might be looking in the wrong place for a
    template. In FHMX, this is the path to Settings -- not sure what it is for
    FH 10.
    Users/(YourUsername)/Library/Application Support/ Macromedia/ FreeHand MX/
    11/ English/ Settings

    The default new doc templates are in the English folder when installed:
    Applications/ Macromedia/ FreeHand 10/ English/

    I tried moving them to the settings folder, but that yielded nothing as well
    :-(
    This is quite aggravating...I'll just have to click on the Default template to
    create new files from now on, I guess.

    chadvirus Guest

  10. #10

    This problem crops up on the forum from time to time, so you're not alone. I
    used Google Groups Advanced Search and came up with this post in this
    thread:

    [url]http://tinyurl.com/6rhq4[/url]

  11. #11

    Thanks again, Judy.
    I'm not running Suitcase anymore but, come to think of it, I was having
    problems with Font Reserve right after that happened (it wouldn't
    launch)...That coupled with your detective work about FontCard causing the
    crash probably means it was font related. I'll look into it.

    chadvirus Guest

  12. #12

    I have never used my Freehand 10 for the same reason. My files could not have
    'become corrupted' because it never worked in the first place.

    I tried installing on three different OS X Panther machines and I have still
    NEVER been able to make a new doent with Freehand 10.

    I am not using any of the conflicting programs mentioned above ... just the
    standard Mac Font Book, never used Application Enhancer.

    I can open the Defaults Ltr doent in:
    Applications/Macromedia Freehanad 10/English
    directory. But I have tried setting the Preferences>New Doent template to
    this location, and it still doesn't work when choosing File>New, using Cmd+N or
    clicking the new doent icon in the toolbar. I have even tried copying the
    Defaults Ltr and Defaults A4 doents to the Settings folder, but still no
    good. Even after browsing to set the New Doent template to:
    Applications/Macromedia FreeHand 10/English/Settings/Default Ltr

    Again, I am working with Freehand 10 which came with the original Studio MX
    (not 2004).

    This is very frustrating and a bit disappointing to know that it is still
    happening to users of the newest version of FreeHand.

    amorphic8 Guest