Professional Web Applications Themes

FH gradient prints ugly as PDF - Macromedia Freehand

Hello, I have a large gradient (pantone tone from 100% to 70% tint) that prints in a pinstripe look to PDF using Distiller. Looks like instead of the gradient there are segments of one color that are fading in the direcion of the gradient. Even tried exporting to EPS first, reimported, but it doesn't look good. I need that gradient to be flexible though in size, so using a bitmap won't do. FH MX 11.0.2 with Adobe Distiller 5.0.5 on Win 2000 SP4. Known problem? Workaround? sorry for being short - deadline coming up... ;-) Thanks, Bernd...

  1. #1

    Default FH gradient prints ugly as PDF

    Hello,

    I have a large gradient (pantone tone from 100% to 70% tint) that prints in
    a pinstripe look to PDF using Distiller. Looks like instead of the gradient
    there are segments of one color that are fading in the direcion of the
    gradient.
    Even tried exporting to EPS first, reimported, but it doesn't look good. I
    need that gradient to be flexible though in size, so using a bitmap won't
    do.
    FH MX 11.0.2 with Adobe Distiller 5.0.5 on Win 2000 SP4.

    Known problem? Workaround?

    sorry for being short - deadline coming up... ;-)

    Thanks,
    Bernd

    Bernd Matzner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FH gradient prints ugly as PDF

    Hi there,

    I may not understand -- but is the amount of difference between 100% and 70%
    enough for the span or length of the fill area. For instance, if your gradient
    fill area goes all the way across a 8.5" page, you may be ok if starting color
    is 100% black and ending color is 10% black (that is a lot of difference)
    however under the same scenario, if your starting color is 100% black and your
    ending color is 80% black, you will have some banding problems more than
    likely.

    steddie

    Bernd Matzner wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a large gradient (pantone tone from 100% to 70% tint) that prints in
    > a pinstripe look to PDF using Distiller. Looks like instead of the gradient
    > there are segments of one color that are fading in the direcion of the
    > gradient.
    > Even tried exporting to EPS first, reimported, but it doesn't look good. I
    > need that gradient to be flexible though in size, so using a bitmap won't
    > do.
    > FH MX 11.0.2 with Adobe Distiller 5.0.5 on Win 2000 SP4.
    >
    > Known problem? Workaround?
    >
    > sorry for being short - deadline coming up... ;-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bernd
    eddie cathey Guest

  3. #3

    Hi there,

    thanks for your response.
    >, if your starting color is 100% black and your
    > ending color is 80% black, you will have some banding problems more than
    > likely.
    Well, it's a fill of about 6'' with 100% blue to 70% blue. If it's normal to
    have that kind of result it doesn't make sense to use gradients
    alltogether - i was wondering whether making some changes to a ppt setting
    would help.

    Bernd Matzner Guest

  4. #4

    In article <c7ehjd$c7j$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    "Bernd Matzner" <matznersalz-berlin.de> wrote:
    > Well, it's a fill of about 6'' with 100% blue to 70% blue. If it's normal to
    > have that kind of result it doesn't make sense to use gradients
    > alltogether - i was wondering whether making some changes to a ppt setting
    > would help.
    That should make the bands a little under 6 points wide on a standard
    PostScript printer capable of generating 256 distinct shades of grey, so
    I doubt that the length is the problem. Moreover the eye is much less
    sensitive to tonal differences in the dark end of the range as compared
    to the lighter shades.

    What is your doent resolution? Too low a value and FH will 'skimp' on
    the number of steps in the gradient: it should be 2400 dpi or higher in
    order to get the best possible quality. If it's only 300 dpi I wouldn't
    be surprised if you were only getting a dozen or so steps instead of the
    more than 75 you should be seeing.

    BTW, rasterized gradients needn't be very high in resolution, as there's
    no sharp detail in them to start with. By the same token they're quite
    insensitive to scaling artefacts in comparison to typical photographic
    images. Adding a little dithered noise can greatly reduce the appearance
    of banding, as it disrupts the straight lines that cue the eye to see
    distinct tints on either side of a transition. But of course they still
    take up much more disk space than an equivalent vector object would.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest

  5. #5

    Great input - I will probably resort to using a bitmap for this sort of
    thing. The client just chose a different design approach anyway, so no
    hassle here. I'm probably too much of a web type'o guy - guess that sort of
    subtle shade I created using that gradient wouldn't print consistently
    anyway in newspapers etc.

    Thanks,
    Bernd

    Bernd Matzner Guest

  6. #6

    The first thing to realize is that when something is made into a PDF
    there is no more gradient, only a series of lines making the look of a
    gradient. If you turn off "Smooth Line Art" under Acrobat Reader display
    preferences the lines will go away. That's all it is, a by product of
    on-screen anti-aliasing all those hundreds/thousands of lines making up
    the gradient.

    It should print without the lines.

    Rich

    Bernd Matzner wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a large gradient (pantone tone from 100% to 70% tint) that prints in
    > a pinstripe look to PDF using Distiller. Looks like instead of the gradient
    > there are segments of one color that are fading in the direcion of the
    > gradient.
    > Even tried exporting to EPS first, reimported, but it doesn't look good. I
    > need that gradient to be flexible though in size, so using a bitmap won't
    > do.
    > FH MX 11.0.2 with Adobe Distiller 5.0.5 on Win 2000 SP4.
    >
    > Known problem? Workaround?
    >
    > sorry for being short - deadline coming up... ;-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bernd

    Rich Hudgins Guest