Professional Web Applications Themes

[FH MX] How to create precise blend (select start-end points) - Macromedia Freehand

I tried to make a tween morph between two quite similar shapes. Flash MX nearly did the trick but scrambled everything as I tried to put some more shape hints. I now try to do the same in Freehand (first time I use the software) but the doentation is useless. I can either : - morph from one shape to another, by dragging a line with a "target" automatically placed by Freehand that I cannot move (maybe it's not there to select single points anyway !) - choose one point from each shape with subselection tool and morph - blend, ...

  1. #1

    Default [FH MX] How to create precise blend (select start-end points)

    I tried to make a tween morph between two quite similar shapes.

    Flash MX nearly did the trick but scrambled everything as I tried to put
    some more shape hints.

    I now try to do the same in Freehand (first time I use the software) but
    the doentation is useless. I can either :

    - morph from one shape to another, by dragging a line with a "target"
    automatically placed by Freehand that I cannot move (maybe it's not
    there to select single points anyway !)

    - choose one point from each shape with subselection tool and morph -
    blend, I mean !. I get better results but I'd like to be able to tell FH
    to make some other points match.

    Is it impossible to refine the blend like I would put shape hints in Flash ?

    Thanks.
    PJ Guest

  2. #2

    PJ wrote:

    I'm not entirely clear what you're doing ... especially in the first
    bullet. I've found that Freehand does blending well when the shapes in
    the blend all have the same number of points. Usually I'll draw one
    shape and get it in the form I want and then clone it. That way, when
    you move the points the shape still has the same number of points.
    Wes Guest

  3. #3

    PJ,

    I just tried making a blend following the instructions in the FHMX Help
    file, and the Blend Tool is *non-functioning* here on FHMX 11.0.2/Mac OSX!
    Very weird!

    I'm speaking of the Blend Tool which is a blue/green/yellow icon. The first
    time it did a Blend operation with no control, and the second time I got a
    Blend-on-a-Path operation, which is another command entirely. There's
    definitely a bug in the Blend Tool, on my installation at least.

    I suggest for now, you use the traditional way of controlling a blend, which
    is to subselect one point on each path that you want to blend, and then use
    the Modify/Combine/Blend command. As Wes said, getting the the number and
    position of points on each path to correlate is very helpful. If paths have
    deeply indented curves, FH frequently does a poor job of blending.

    Path direction is very important in FH blends. If you are getting unexpected
    results, try reversing the direction of one of the paths. There's a 'Reverse
    Path' Xtra button in the Xtra Operations Toobar.

    You can control the stacking order of a Blend in the Blend on Path settings
    in the Object Inspector.

    If you continue to have problems, post again, describing the objects in more
    detail. Maybe someone here can help.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    Okay, I was wrong. The Blend *Tool* icon is red star to blue circle. Find it
    in Windows/Toolbars/Customize/Tools.

    There are too color schemes for the Blend Xtra icon, which is confusing
    enough. To make matters more confusing, both the Blend Tool and Blend Xtra
    icons show only "Blend" in the ToolTips yellow label.

    The Blend Tool works as advertised. You can drag the blue circle to another
    point on the same path to change the blend.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest