Professional Web Applications Themes

FHMX Redraw Prefs, image update bug - Macromedia Freehand

This is an expansion on my complaint that FHMX linked images are not updating. It gets worse. Can anyone reproduce this? 1. FHMX preferences > Redraw > On-screen Image Resolution > High. Preview mode. 2. Import Photoshop 300 ppi TIFF image into FHMX doc (Mac TIFF, no compression). Set guides on sides of image as a reference to upcoming weirdness. Save doent. 3. In Photoshop, open this TIFF and change resolution to 72 ppi, no resampling. Save, overwriting previous file, same filename, same location. 4. Back in FHMX, image does not update as it should. 5. Change FHMX Redraw Image ...

  1. #1

    Default FHMX Redraw Prefs, image update bug

    This is an expansion on my complaint that FHMX linked images are not
    updating. It gets worse. Can anyone reproduce this?

    1. FHMX preferences > Redraw > On-screen Image Resolution > High. Preview
    mode.

    2. Import Photoshop 300 ppi TIFF image into FHMX doc (Mac TIFF, no
    compression). Set guides on sides of image as a reference to upcoming
    weirdness. Save doent.

    3. In Photoshop, open this TIFF and change resolution to 72 ppi, no
    resampling. Save, overwriting previous file, same filename, same location.

    4. Back in FHMX, image does not update as it should.

    5. Change FHMX Redraw Image Prefs to Medium.

    6. Image now updates -- or appears to. But look out!

    7. Try to select image from upper right corner. You cannot. Keyline view
    shows bounding box at previous (300 ppi) location in the lower left corner
    of new preview. Bounding points are at previous location.

    8. Close file and reopen. Image is now correctly positioned for 72 ppi
    dimensions.

    FreeHand MX is not updating images correctly as it did in FH9 and previous
    versions. It is not tracking image resolution changes and displaying them
    correctly.

    Judy Arndt

    --
    FHMX, G4, Mac OS 10.2.6

    Judy Arndt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FHMX Redraw Prefs, image update bug

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    >5. Change FHMX Redraw Image Prefs to Medium.
    >
    >6. Image now updates -- or appears to. But look out!
    >
    >7. Try to select image from upper right corner. You cannot. Keyline view
    >shows bounding box at previous (300 ppi) location in the lower left corner
    >of new preview. Bounding points are at previous location.
    >
    >8. Close file and reopen. Image is now correctly positioned for 72 ppi
    >dimensions.
    >
    >FreeHand MX is not updating images correctly as it did in FH9 and previous
    >versions. It is not tracking image resolution changes and displaying them
    >correctly
    Does exactly the same thing here.

    All this reminds me of a file we received via web download last week. It was a Freehand 9 file with several placed and embedded images that, when the file was opened in Freehand MX, showed up in keyline view but were inivisible in preview mode. Poking around I found that if you selected one of the images and duplicated it the duplicate would show up in the preview mode and the old placed images continued to be invisible.

    -Wes

    wrand@mac.com Guest

  3. #3

    [email]wrandmac.com[/email] wrote:
    > Does exactly the same thing here.
    Thanks so much for checking. I was beginning to fear that I had serious
    problems with my computer.
    > All this reminds me of a file we received via web download last week. It was a
    > Freehand 9 file with several placed and embedded images that, when the file
    > was opened in Freehand MX, showed up in keyline view but were inivisible in
    > preview mode. Poking around I found that if you selected one of the images and
    > duplicated it the duplicate would show up in the preview mode and the old
    > placed images continued to be invisible.
    That's so weird. I wonder if FHMX is loosing track of linked images or only
    reading partial information from them. It seems to be failing to keeping
    track of image previews built to serve the Redraw resolution prefs.

    When you duplicated the image, I assume it was forced to go to the source
    and make a new preview.

    Judy Arndt

    --
    FHMX, G4, Mac OS 10.2.6

    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Judy,

    You said...

    "I'm opening the TIFFs with the Open command in Photoshop 7. I would much
    prefer to use the option-double-click, but FHMX does not recognize Photoshop
    7 as an external editor."

    Not that I exactly have an answer here, but I know that I can use Photoshop 7 as an external editor. If I edit a tiff file in FHMX, it immediately opens the file in Photoshop and does its normal replacement deally. Maybe there is a bigger problem afoot with one of your applications.

    I have not noticed this particular update "bug/feature"(depending if you are a user or MM personell) but when I get to work on Wed. I will try your steps out to see if I get the same problem.

    Pappy

    Pappy Guest

  5. #5

    Pappy wrote:
    > Not that I exactly have an answer here, but I know that I can use Photoshop 7
    > as an external editor. If I edit a tiff file in FHMX, it immediately opens
    > the file in Photoshop and does its normal replacement deally. Maybe there is
    > a bigger problem afoot with one of your applications.
    Pappy,
    My bad. Face red. I can indeed choose Photoshop 7 as my external editor.
    There is a problem afoot with my brain.

    I had forgotten that I had installed PS7 under OS9 and then updated with the
    OS X updater, which put a Photoshop 7 folder in with my OSX Applications.
    When I navigated to that folder from the Preferences file dialog and it
    showed no application, I assumed FHMX was not 'seeing' it.

    I'm sure young guys like yourself have no problem remembering where you put
    things. ;-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest