Professional Web Applications Themes

FHMX vs OS 10.1.5 issues - Macromedia Freehand

We've been trying to use FHMX on OS 10.1.5 and have found several issues: 1) We lose the ablility to use font families (although they work fine in OS 9.2.2). 2) The program crashes as soon as you finish loading a font in Suitcase and go back to FHMX and it refuses to restart as long as Suitcase is running. 3) We are unable to load PPD's, it only offers "Generic", so we lose our ability to select "Custom" paper sizes. 4) Select a line of type and try to add to it add the entire line of type actually ...

  1. #1

    Default FHMX vs OS 10.1.5 issues

    We've been trying to use FHMX on OS 10.1.5 and have found several issues:

    1) We lose the ablility to use font families (although they work fine in OS 9.2.2).

    2) The program crashes as soon as you finish loading a font in Suitcase and go back to FHMX and it refuses to restart as long as Suitcase is running.

    3) We are unable to load PPD's, it only offers "Generic", so we lose our ability to select "Custom" paper sizes.

    4) Select a line of type and try to add to it add the entire line of type actually moves up about .005" or so. Considering the type of work we do, this cannot happen for us. The type MUST remain in place. (Didn't an earlier version of Freehand have this problem once???)

    Has anyone else experienced any of these problems and if so, what did you do to repair them?

    Thanks, all. I appreciate you time and assistance.

    -Kris

    KBender webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FHMX vs OS 10.1.5 issues

    I'll tackle a couple of these problems:

    KBender wrote:
    > 3) We are unable to load PPD's, it only offers "Generic", so we lose our
    > ability to select "Custom" paper sizes.
    Mac OS X changes the way you select PPDs. You need to set up a 'formatting
    printer' to access PPDs for printers that you don't actually have.

    See the technote from Apple:
    [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=34886[/url]
    > 4) Select a line of type and try to add to it add the entire line of type
    > actually moves up about .005" or so. Considering the type of work we do, this
    > cannot happen for us. The type MUST remain in place. (Didn't an earlier
    > version of Freehand have this problem once???)
    I'm not seeing this. Does it happen in Keyline view?

    Does this shift occur when you add to text in a previously created
    doent.? If so, are you sure that FH is using exactly the same font. Mac
    OS X installs a number of .dfont fonts at the system level that might be
    substituting for your previously used fonts.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    "KBender" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > We've been trying to use FHMX on OS 10.1.5 and have found several
    > issues:
    >
    > 1) We lose the ablility to use font families (although they work fine
    > in OS 9.2.2).
    You could try the third party utility FontCard to get family grouping.
    Macromedia hasn't put family grouping into Freehand yet so there
    probably is not much hope to get it added anytime soon.
    > 3) We are unable to load PPD's, it only offers "Generic", so we lose
    > our ability to select "Custom" paper sizes.
    Have you set up your printers through the Print Center? Once you do that
    you should be able to select custom paper sizes through the Freehand MX
    panel of the print dialog box.
    > Has anyone else experienced any of these problems and if so, what did
    > you do to repair them?
    I haven't experienced the other problems. One other thought is to
    upgrade your OS. We're up to Mac OS X 10.2.8 here at work and I'm up to
    10.3.2 at home. Getting up to 10.2.8 might help things run smoother and
    faster.

    -Wes
    Wes Rand Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks so much for the responses and helpful advice.

    1) I read recently that Font Agent Pro corrects the font family issue, maybe we'll give it a try.

    2) We recently purchased Jaguar, but haven't had time/opportunity to install and try yet. We'll do that and see if that corrects the problem. We have the current version of Suitcase.

    3) I tried the suggestion from the Apple Technote. We can now select PPD's, but get an "internal error" when we try to print. Our imagesetter is a Heidelberg Herkules Elite that was made around 1998, as far as we know. It probably just doesn't recognize OSX trying to talk to it? As far as we can tell, we have the most current drivers, we just upgraded a couple months ago.

    4) As luck would have it, now I can't reproduce the issue with the text jumping. I showed someone the other day and it did what I said, but today, I can't reenact what happened. Weird. We'll just have to keep our eyes open for that.

    Thanks again for the help, everyone. I appreciate your time and assistance.

  5. #5

    "\"KBender\" webforumsuser"macromedia.com wrote:

    > 3) I tried the suggestion from the Apple Technote. We can now select PPD's, but get an "internal error" when we try to print. Our imagesetter is a Heidelberg Herkules Elite that was made around 1998, as far as we know. It probably just doesn't recognize OSX trying to talk to it? As far as we can tell, we have the most current drivers, we just upgraded a couple months ago.

    Just a suggestion: try writing PostScript to disk (using the
    appropriate PPD) and then transfering it to the RIP with a downloader
    of some kind. This might help narrow down where the problem lies.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest