Professional Web Applications Themes

Field length - FileMaker

I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a preset number of characters.... What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50 characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen Thanx -- ---------------------------------------- Quantum Illusions: [url]http://quantum.2ya.com[/url] Pegasus Mail Support Site: [url]http://pegasus.quantum.2ya.com[/url] Freeware Site: [url]http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com[/url] DATA Solutions: [url]http://datasolutions.quantum.2ya.com[/url] If you truly want to contact me click the link [url]http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Field length

    I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    preset number of characters....

    What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen

    Thanx

    Quantum Illusions: [url]http://quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    Pegasus Mail Support Site: [url]http://pegasus.quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    Freeware Site: [url]http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    DATA Solutions: [url]http://datasolutions.quantum.2ya.com[/url]

    [url]http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm[/url]

    Bebop & Rocksteady Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Field length

    In article <Xns93B6BD16FA8AAspammenot203.96.92.12>, "Bebop &
    Rocksteady" <spamme.not> wrote:
    > I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    > preset number of characters....
    >
    > What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    > characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    >
    > Thanx
    The only way you can realistically do this is to use the Validation
    options for the field. Set the field to be validated by a calculation
    along the lines of:

    Length(FieldName < 51)

    Users can still type more than 50 characters, but as soon as they try
    to leave the field they will get an error message saying it's not
    allowed.

    You can also use the lower part validation options to stop the user
    over-riding the warning and to display a custom error message should
    they go oiver the limit.

    Helpful Harry
    "Just trying to help whenever I can." :o)
    Helpful Harry Guest

  3. #3

    Helpful Harry <helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com> wrote in
    news:120720031905102509%helpful_harrynom.de.plume .com:
    > In article <Xns93B6BD16FA8AAspammenot203.96.92.12>, "Bebop &
    > Rocksteady" <spamme.not> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    >> preset number of characters....
    >>
    >> What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    >> characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >
    > The only way you can realistically do this is to use the Validation
    > options for the field. Set the field to be validated by a calculation
    > along the lines of:
    >
    > Length(FieldName < 51)
    Thanx
    I couldn't seem to get it to work using the above
    but I got it to work as below

    Length(FieldName) <= 50

    Quantum Illusions: [url]http://quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    Pegasus Mail Support Site: [url]http://pegasus.quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    Freeware Site: [url]http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com[/url]
    DATA Solutions: [url]http://datasolutions.quantum.2ya.com[/url]

    [url]http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm[/url]

    Bebop & Rocksteady Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Matthew Smith <matty_dmac.com> wrote in news:matty_d-
    [email]7F6F3F.23462212072003duster.adelaide.on.net[/email]:
    > In article <120720031905102509%helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com >,
    > Helpful Harry <helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com> wrote:
    >
    >> > I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than
    >> > preset number of characters....
    >> >
    >> > What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    >> > characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    >> >
    >> > Thanx
    >>
    >> The only way you can realistically do this is to use the Validation
    >> options for the field. Set the field to be validated by a calculation
    >> along the lines of:
    >>
    >> Length(FieldName < 51)
    >>
    >> Users can still type more than 50 characters, but as soon as they try
    >> to leave the field they will get an error message saying it's not
    >> allowed.
    >>
    >> You can also use the lower part validation options to stop the user
    >> over-riding the warning and to display a custom error message should
    >> they go oiver the limit.
    >
    > What about just using the validation option of setting maximum number of
    > characters?

    How do you do that with a global field

  6. #6

    Another thread I haven't been following. It must be catch-up day. So
    again please excuse me if I repeat something that's already been suggested.

    All the other suggestions that have been made work to give an error if
    more than 50 characters have been typed, but the error message doesn't
    happen until after the field is exited.

    What I will suggest may not be the most graceful -- it may even be too
    ugly to work for your situation. But you could attach a script to the
    field, so that when someone clicks on the field, the following script is
    run:

    Freeze Window
    Loop
    Goto field[TheField]
    Goto field[]
    Exit Loop If[status(currentfieldname)<>"TheField" or length(TheField)>50]
    End Loop
    If[length(TheField)>50]
    Show Message["You went over 50 characters"]
    End If

    I didn't test this, so who knows what'll happen?! That's just the kind
    of day it is. But it might be worth trying.

    Bebop & Rocksteady wrote:
    > I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    > preset number of characters....
    >
    > What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    > characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California

    Howard Schlossberg Guest

  7. #7

    In article <Xns93B6CD0498960spammenot203.96.92.12>, "Bebop &
    Rocksteady" <spamme.not> wrote:
    > Helpful Harry <helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com> wrote in
    > news:120720031905102509%helpful_harrynom.de.plume .com:
    >
    > > In article <Xns93B6BD16FA8AAspammenot203.96.92.12>, "Bebop &
    > > Rocksteady" <spamme.not> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    > >> preset number of characters....
    > >>
    > >> What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    > >> characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    > >>
    > >> Thanx
    > >
    > > The only way you can realistically do this is to use the Validation
    > > options for the field. Set the field to be validated by a calculation
    > > along the lines of:
    > >
    > > Length(FieldName < 51)
    >
    > Thanx
    > I couldn't seem to get it to work using the above
    > but I got it to work as below
    >
    > Length(FieldName) <= 50
    Opps! Sorry, that was my typo - I put the closing bracket in the wrong
    place. :o\

  8. #8

    In article <matty_d-7F6F3F.23462212072003duster.adelaide.on.net>,
    Matthew Smith <matty_dmac.com> wrote:
    > In article <120720031905102509%helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com >,
    > Helpful Harry <helpful_harrynom.de.plume.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > I would like to be able to set a field so you can not enter more than a
    > > > preset number of characters....
    > > >
    > > > What would the calculation be to make it so you could only put say 50
    > > > characters into a field or how would you allow this action to happen
    > > >
    > > > Thanx
    > >
    > > The only way you can realistically do this is to use the Validation
    > > options for the field. Set the field to be validated by a calculation
    > > along the lines of:
    > >
    > > Length(FieldName < 51)
    > >
    > > Users can still type more than 50 characters, but as soon as they try
    > > to leave the field they will get an error message saying it's not
    > > allowed.
    > >
    > > You can also use the lower part validation options to stop the user
    > > over-riding the warning and to display a custom error message should
    > > they go oiver the limit.
    >
    > What about just using the validation option of setting maximum number of
    > characters?
    DOH!!!

    That must be a new option - I've never seen it there before. Thanks for
    pointing it out (it probably does the exact same calculation). :o)

  9. #9

    In article <vh0hdn53nsqd4fcorp.supernews.com>, Howard Schlossberg
    <howardantispahm.fmprosolutions.com> wrote:
    > Another thread I haven't been following. It must be catch-up day. So
    > again please excuse me if I repeat something that's already been suggested.
    >
    > All the other suggestions that have been made work to give an error if
    > more than 50 characters have been typed, but the error message doesn't
    > happen until after the field is exited.
    >
    > What I will suggest may not be the most graceful -- it may even be too
    > ugly to work for your situation. But you could attach a script to the
    > field, so that when someone clicks on the field, the following script is
    > run:
    >
    > Freeze Window
    > Loop
    > Goto field[TheField]
    > Goto field[]
    > Exit Loop If[status(currentfieldname)<>"TheField" or length(TheField)>50]
    > End Loop
    > If[length(TheField)>50]
    > Show Message["You went over 50 characters"]
    > End If
    >
    > I didn't test this, so who knows what'll happen?! That's just the kind
    > of day it is. But it might be worth trying.
    I have tried it, but that script looks a bit questionable that it would
    do anything.

    I'm guessing that second Goto field[] step should have been a
    Pause/Resume["0:00:01"] step, but these pause/resume techniques are
    EXTREMELY hopeless - they blink the screen and make trying to type into
    a field highly annoying since the field won't respond while the script
    isn't paused. :o\

  10. #10

    > Opps! Sorry, that was my typo - I put the closing bracket in the wrong
    > place. :o\
    >
    > Helpful Harry
    > "Just trying to help whenever I can." :o)

    Cool thanx.. for ponting me in the right direction