Professional Web Applications Themes

File browser cache purge - Adobe Photoshop Elements

On the file browser, (after clicking "more") at the bottom of the option list is "purge cache". If the "purge cache" is clicked a caution message appears saying "All previously created thumbnails and metadata will be deleted. Continue?" What previous thumbnails is this referring to? Thumbnails that are cached for the file browser? Does anyone clear this cache for any reason? And if I continue will this delete all thumbnails in the active folder or the entire browser? And just what is metadata? .... I am guessing that it is all the info on the pictures like, size, ...

  1. #1

    Default File browser cache purge

    On the file browser, (after clicking "more") at the bottom of the option
    list is "purge cache".

    If the "purge cache" is clicked a caution message appears saying "All
    previously created thumbnails and metadata will be deleted. Continue?"

    What previous thumbnails is this referring to? Thumbnails that are cached
    for the file browser? Does anyone clear this cache for any reason? And
    if I continue will this delete all thumbnails in the active folder or the
    entire browser?

    And just what is metadata? .... I am guessing that it is all the info on
    the pictures like, size, date modified etc. Anyone know if that is
    correct?

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: File browser cache purge

    Putting this back to the top so it does not get lost. (Pete)

    > On the file browser, . (after clicking "more") . at the bottom of the
    option
    > list is "purge cache".
    >

    > If the "purge cache" is clicked a caution message appears saying "All
    > previously created thumbnails and metadata will be deleted. Continue?"
    >

    > What previous thumbnails is this referring to? Thumbnails that are cached
    > for the file browser? Does anyone clear this cache for any reason? And
    > if I continue will this delete all thumbnails in the active folder or the
    > entire browser?
    >

    > And just what is metadata? .... I am guessing that it is all the info on
    > the pictures like, size, date modified etc. Anyone know if that is
    > correct?
    >

    > Pete

    Pete D Guest

  3. #3

    Pete,

    Whenever you open Elements Browser and go to a folder where images exist, automatically thumbnails are created (and data kept). If you empty the cache, you dump those existing from past browsing, but as soon as you go to the folder again, they are re-created. The only reason to do this is if you are getting very low on freespace. But then, if that's so, you are likely to be getting a bit low for much use of Elements anyway.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Rich.

    I was correct on metadata, right?

    Pete D Guest

  5. #5

    Pretty much Pete. You have different types of metadata. User defined, like the copyright and URL info you can add in File>File Info... and Exif, which is the metadata the camera writes, which can include things like fStop and whether the flash fired.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  6. #6

    Beth gets it right, as usual. File Browser is a different beast in E2.
    Richard Coencas Guest

  7. #7

    Ken,

    Yes the "more" button is in the "file browser" and that is available only in
    V 2.0.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  8. #8

    Beth, Richard, Pete,
    Thanks for your responses. I plan to obtain Elements v.3 when it becomes available. Shall struggle along with v. 1 for now.
    Ken
    :frown:
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest