Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address ******************************************************************* [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Andrew [ip] => usenetMYSHOES@b [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> File naming help needed for 10D - Photography

File naming help needed for 10D - Photography

I have a 10D which uses CF. On the card are folders for the pictures, currently mine was as 118CANON, and the latest picture being IMG_1898.jpg I then put another CF card in, which was used in a different camera, and took a picture. The file name followed the sequence which was on THAT card, which had a folder named 204CANON with a file named IMG_0437.jpg (the File Numbering mode is set to Continuous Numbering) I then formatted this second CF card in the camera, and took another picture. A 204CANON folder was re-created, and the file name was IMG_0438.jpg, ...

  1. #1

    Default File naming help needed for 10D

    I have a 10D which uses CF. On the card are folders for the pictures,
    currently mine was as 118CANON, and the latest picture being IMG_1898.jpg I
    then put another CF card in, which was used in a different camera, and took
    a picture. The file name followed the sequence which was on THAT card, which
    had a folder named 204CANON with a file named IMG_0437.jpg (the File
    Numbering mode is set to Continuous Numbering)

    I then formatted this second CF card in the camera, and took another
    picture. A 204CANON folder was re-created, and the file name was
    IMG_0438.jpg, picking up right where the last picture on that card left off.

    Now I reinserted my original card which had folder 118CANON with
    IMG_1898.jpg in it, and took another picture. A 203CANON folder was created,
    and IMG_0439.jpg was file name of the picture.

    It seems as if the camera 'remembers' the highest folder/file name on any
    card every used in the camera, and assigns the next number in sequence from
    there. In this case, skipping a lot of numbers between folders 118CANON and
    203CANON.

    I would like to get the camera to continue naming files from
    118CANON/IMG_1898.jpg so I have no gaps in the sequence for pictures taken
    from this camera.

    Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a file on the CF card which I need
    to rename? Maybe delete the 203CANON folder and files, leaving only the
    118CANON folder, then re-formatting the card?

    Thanks in advance.

    Ed Toerek

    et Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: File naming help needed for 10D

    et <com> wrote:
[...]

    Do yourself a favor and get the free Downloader from Breeze Systems:

    http://www.breezesys.com

    Downloader Pro is not free, but if you go to the page:

    http://www.breezesys.com/html/downloads.htm

    You can find a link to the older free Downloader (bottom of the page),
    which works just fine - that's what I use.

    Anyway, if you use Downloader, you'll never worry again about what the
    camera names the folders on the card: Downloader hides them from you
    and saves your images in folders based on date they were shot. Makes
    sorting out your images much easier later.

    I also recommend Breezebrowser from the same site - it's integrated
    with Downloader but not free.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    Andrew wrote:

    AFAIK the free version doesn't work with the 10D directly, but happily
    deals with files on a card in a card reader. At least, I'm sure I saw
    that somewhere and it says it can't see my 10D.

    Through a card reader, I assume? Mine won't show the 10D files.

    Seconded, although I don't bother with the integration - Downloader to
    get the files onto the PC. Breezebrowser at a later time to sift, sort,
    rename and convert - although I am rather struck with Capture One LE and
    may well be buying that before the week is out. If I do, BB will still
    be of use for averything except RAW conversion.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

  4. #4

    I found the solution to this problem in a post from Chuck Westfall in the
    Canon EOS D30/D60 and 10D forum on the Rob Galbraith site. Here is the
    solution:

    1. Set the 10D's file numbering setting to Auto Reset.
    2. Format the spare CF card. This resets the file numbering sequence to
    100-0001.
    3. Set the 10D's file numbering sequence to Continuous.
    4. Take a photo on the spare CF card.
    5. Remove the CF card from the camera and mount it on your computer's
    desktop via the card reader.
    6. Open the DCIM folder and locate the folder named 100CANON. Open this
    folder to locate the image named IMG_0001.JPG.
    7. Rename the image to the desired sequence number, i.e, one number higher
    than the last image from the original file numbering sequence. For example,
    IMG_0238.JPG.
    8. Rename the 100CANON folder to the desired folder name. For example:
    204CANON.
    9. Place the newly renumbered CF card in the 10D and take at least one shot.
    The camera's file numbering sequence is now reset as originally intended.

    Ed Toerek

    "et" <com> wrote in message

    took
    which
    off.
    created,
    from
    and
    need

    et Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    com says...
    Does the free Downloader provide the histogram and shooting
    information such as ISO, etc. or is that only available
    with Downloader Pro. I couldn't tell from their website.

    I want the pictures downloaded from the CF card WITH
    information such as the histogram, flash, daylight etc. so
    that I can learn and compare the shots more easily and
    meaningfully.

    TIA

    Louise
    louise Guest