Professional Web Applications Themes

file size of photo shrinks after publishing to web site - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I use the save for web feature in PE2. After I adjust the picture to optimize it, it says that the final size of a photo is 14000 and then I save it. After I publish it to my web site and then click on the picture and click on properties it shows the file size much smaller at like 7500? Any clue on what I am doing wrong? The picture also looks degraded. Could part of this be my web browser. For example a picture that I look at using netscape looks better than it does in my default ...

  1. #1

    Default file size of photo shrinks after publishing to web site

    I use the save for web feature in PE2. After I adjust the picture to optimize it, it says that the final size of a photo is 14000 and then I save it. After I publish it to my web site and then click on the picture and click on properties it shows the file size much smaller at like 7500? Any clue on what I am doing wrong? The picture also looks degraded. Could part of this be my web browser. For example a picture that I look at using netscape looks better than it does in my default IE webbrowser.???
    Michael_Simonov@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    14000, 7500?
    Bytes?

    If that's what you mean, Elements reports full uncompressed file size of
    an open image (ala TIFF).
    When saved as JPEG, the compressed file size is much smaller. The more
    compressed (lower the quality), the smaller the saved file size.

    Open it back up in Elemnts however, and it will report the uncompressed
    size again.

    Mac
    Mac_McDougald@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Mac,
    Yes I do mean bytes. However, the file size varies greatly just looking at the web site from different computers on line. When the picture looks good, which is on everyone's but my computer the file size is large. When I look at it and click on properties the file size is small and the picture looks lousy. It's almost like the last of the progressive scan is not kicking in and clearing up the picture.???? Any other thoughts.
    msimonov@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Of course, the byte size of the actual pic can not vary, regardless of
    "who" is viewing the picture. If a JPEG is 30456 bytes, that's what it
    is, period, to Windows, Macintosh, Unix, Abacus, whatever.

    So I don't understand the statement "the file size varies greatly just
    looking at the web site from different computers on line".

    Different monitors on different systems can of course look significantly
    different, due to differences in color settings, screen rez set, color
    depth chosen, physical size of the monitor, and type of monitor
    (CRT/LCD).

  5. #5

    Mac,
    Thanks for trying to help me. Let me explain. If you go to this page which is www.jchristopherwhite.com and click to see the properties of the bird picture on the right side of the page the file size will be listed at 15,733 and the picture will probably look fine. I can get on line and look at it from a friend's house or at work and I get the same result as I explained above. From my computer, which is where I publish to this web site, when I go to the page the picture looks lousy and if I click on properties of the picture it lists the file size as 10,453??? It's almost as if the final scan of the progressive scan is not loading. I know it doesn't make sense. Also, their are two pictures on that page, the other one has the same file size no matter what computer I view it from, the issue is just with the one picture??? Any thoughts.
    msimonov@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > www.jchristopherwhite.com ... properties of the bird picture on the right...15,733

    Nope, priceless_index_flipped2.jpg is 14437 bytes, 256x329 pixels.
    As reported in IE 5.5 for Windows.
    I downloaded it, and indeed, that is accurate.

    What browser/platform?

    Perhaps your browser version doesn't handle progressive JPEGs?
    A general word about that: as much as I like them, I don't use them, as
    IE doesn't do progressive JPEGs. At all. So 90+% of your vistors won't
    see them as progressive anyway.
    And makes the file size bigger.

  7. #7

    It's 14,437 bytes on Mac OS X 10.3, too. Using the Safari browser.

    Michael, maybe your browser is caching the image. Have you tried hitting Refresh and/or emptying the browser's cache?
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'm using IE 6.0.28. I'll try saving the pictures without using the progressive features. So you got 14,437 bytes and I just got 10,453, it must be a browser issue don't you think?
    msimonov@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Lou,
    I tried doing both, didn't help. I'm thinking it's a browser issue? It's just irritating because I don't know how things really look after I publish to a web site. Some pictures are the exact same size and look fine, others like the one in question don't show well for me and have a smaller file size.
    msimonov@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Just tried with IE 6.0.2.800 and got 14,437 bytes and a fine
    picture. The art looks great as well.

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Just figured it out. Compuserve has a default setting to compress images to make pages load faster. I unchecked that and the problem is solved. Thank you all for your help. Perhaps these posts will help someone else also.
    msimonov@adobeforums.com Guest