Professional Web Applications Themes

File transfers - PERL Miscellaneous

What is the limit of syswrite function. How can I convert an image from binary mode so as to store it in a buffer and send it to client and the client has to again decode the same to display the image...

  1. #1

    Default File transfers

    What is the limit of syswrite function. How can I convert an image
    from binary mode so as to store it in a buffer and send it to client
    and the client has to again decode the same to display the image
    SRam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: File transfers

    [email]aksivaram2k2[/email] (SRam) writes:
    > Subject: File transfers
    > What is the limit of syswrite function.
    It does what it does. It does not make tea or wash the dishes.

    What did you really mean?

    You you mean what is the largest number of bytes that you can assume
    will be sent by a single syswrite()? This is dependant on many
    factors and it not something you should ever depend on for
    character-stream based filedescriptors.
    > How can I convert an image from binary mode
    What do you mean by "convert an image from binary mode" you mean into
    a text based image format like XPM or PDF?
    > so as to store it in a buffer
    What does this have to do with anything above. What do you mean by
    buffer? Do you mean scalar variable or do you mean something else.
    > and send it to client
    "Client"? Where has any client/server architecture been mentioned.
    > and the client has to again decode the same to display the image
    All images need some kind of "decoding" before they are displayed.
    Are you really talking about encryption? Are you really talking about
    compression?

    I think you have a problem partitioning proplem. You have a large
    problem and you have picked a few random half-phrases from diffent
    parts of the problem and strung them together. They do not form a
    coherent description of anything.

    --
    \\ ( )
    . _\\__[oo

  3. #3

    SRam wrote:
    > What is the limit of syswrite function. How can I convert an image
    > from binary mode so as to store it in a buffer and send it to client
    > and the client has to again decode the same to display the image

    Have you considered FTP (File Transfer Protocol)? You can do it from
    perl if you

    use Net::FTP;

    That is all set up, clients and servers are built-in or available for
    most any platform, and you don't have to mess around with syswrite or
    any low-level protocol/socket/etc stuff at all. Be sure to use FTP in
    its "binary" mode if you are transmitting an image between two different
    types of machines (*nix <-> Windoze, for example).
    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton Guest

  4. #4

    I'm tyring to upload several files to my server using ftp_put. But I get an
    error that says safe mode is on and it won't allow me to put the files. is
    this something I can change on my end?

    Tony Reeves Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:26:32 -0700, "Tony Reeves" <areeves1csc.com> wrote:
    >I'm tyring to upload several files to my server using ftp_put. But I get an
    >error that says safe mode is on and it won't allow me to put the files. is
    >this something I can change on my end?
    Post the FULL error message, not just a vague description of it. Presumably it
    doesn't just say "safe mode is on", it actually shows a more descriptive error
    describing _which_ safe mode restriction you are hitting. With the full error
    message it may be possible to advise how to work within the restrictions.

    You will not be able to disable safe mode yourself, unless you are the admin
    of the server, as this defeats the purpose of it.

    --
    Andy Hassall <andyandyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage ysis tool
    [url]http://www.andyh.co.uk[/url] / [url]http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space[/url]

  6. #6

    Sorry, here is the whole error line:

    Warning: dir(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 585
    is not allowed to access /home/virtual/site183/fst/var/www/html/tours owned
    by uid 0 in
    /home/virtual/site183/fst/var/www/html/tours/CreateTourPicture.php on line
    24