Professional Web Applications Themes

File Viewer / Bloated file sizes / What is the best file format? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I would like to find a viewer capable of looking at the main Adobe formats as well as the standard formats such as JPG and WMF ... but yet the only suggestion has been the file browser in Photoshop (ignoring the need to load a gargantuan app just to view a few files) I though I would give it a go.... but here is the issue ... it will not store keywords for WMF files since it cannot embed them (!) and does not appear to have any db functionality. So I thought about converting my WMF files to AI, ...

  1. #1

    Default File Viewer / Bloated file sizes / What is the best file format?

    I would like to find a viewer capable of looking at the main Adobe formats as well as the standard formats such as JPG and WMF ... but yet the only suggestion has been the file browser in Photoshop (ignoring the need to load a gargantuan app just to view a few files) I though I would give it a go....
    but here is the issue ... it will not store keywords for WMF files since it cannot embed them (!) and does not appear to have any db functionality.

    So I thought about converting my WMF files to AI, so that they can have the XMP data added, but here is the rub ... a simple 5k WMF file is bloated to a staggering 500k ai file (or pdf, svg etc.) and don't even ask about what haapened to the eps version!

    Question:
    Is there a file format that does not involve an unnescesary 100 fold increase in fie size, can hold meta data, and is adobe firendly?
    OR
    is there a viewer capable of viewing all formats (no editing required) ... I notice that even Adobe's own Photoshop Album cannot cope with vector based artwork!

    Any help would be truly appreciated, since at the moment I can see no advantage to using anything but the standard XP file browser, and I cannot believe that that is the true state of the art!

    Many Thanks

    Martin.
    Martin_Folley@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I would like to find a viewer capable of looking at the main Adobe formats as well as the standard formats such as JPG and WMF ... but yet the only suggestion has been the file browser in Photoshop (ignoring the need to load a gargantuan app just to view a few files) I though I would give it a go....
    but here is the issue ... it will not store keywords for WMF files since it cannot embed them (!) and does not appear to have any db functionality.

    So I thought about converting my WMF files to AI, so that they can have the XMP data added, but here is the rub ... a simple 5k WMF file is bloated to a staggering 500k ai file (or pdf, svg etc.) and don't even ask about what happened to the eps version!

    Question:
    Is there a file format that does not involve an unnecessary 100 fold increase in fie size, can hold meta data, and is adobe friendly?