Professional Web Applications Themes

FileMaker -> MySQL plus ? - Mac Applications & Software

Is there a free/shareware solution to replacing FileMaker with eg MySQL plus a nice front end? If so, I'd be very happy to hear recommendations and experiences. TIA Marc -- Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy http://www.heusser.com remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address to reply via e-mail...

  1. #1

    Default FileMaker -> MySQL plus ?

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
    http://www.heusser.com
    remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address
    to reply via e-mail
    Marc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FileMaker -> MySQL plus ?

    > Is there a free/shareware solution to replacing FileMaker with eg MySQL
    I've never used it but a friend uses cocoa mysql as a front end for well...
    mysql on mac os x.
    i will find out more specifics/bugs from him.

    btw, i think anything is better than filemaker, the glorified spreadsheet
    that creates and stores relational db's horridly.

    JL

    hgsil Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bkv3a1$242q$u.washington.edu>,
    "hgsil" <com> wrote:

    > I've never used it but a friend uses cocoa mysql as a front end for well...
    > mysql on mac os x.
    > i will find out more specifics/bugs from him.[/ref]

    Yes, please.

    Thank you

    Marc

  4. #4

    In article <bluewin.ch>, Marc
    Heusser wrote: [/ref]

    CocoaSQL is nice but it's also pretty simple. It doesn't do much for
    you other than table layout. I wrote a pure Java MySQL gui client
    that in my obviously biased opinion does a lot more. It's also truly
    platform independent -- you can run the gui in Windows or X11 if you
    want to, regardless of where MySQL is running.

    Vsql, as I'm calling it at the moment, is unwarrantied freeware, in
    the best unix tradition. Anyone who wants a copy is welcome to one,
    thought I don't have a web site of my own on which to make it
    available. Since I use it myself every day, I'm eager for bug reports
    and requests for enhancements: anything that makes it more usable is a
    win for me. If there's interest, I'll find some web site to host it.

    MySQL is a very robust and powerful relational db that's easily
    installed in osx. It's also freeware. Moving your data from
    FileMaker shouldn't be too bad, assuming the data is text and assuming
    FileMaker can export to tab-separated or comma-separated files. If
    you're currently storing binary data Pro, I'm not sure how you'd
    transfer it.

    tristero Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bluewin.ch>,
    Marc Heusser <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
    wrote:

    I believe I saw some software that'll migrate data from FileMaker to
    MySQL. Check VersionTracker.com using the two names in the search.

    --Mike

    --
    ****************
    Preorder Lord of the Ring DVDs and videos.

  6. #6

    In article <dsl.bbn.com>,
    tristero <net> wrote:

    Sounds good, especially the Java portability. Why not see if you can
    post it on VersionTracker.com?

    They have a number of other MySql add-ons.

    --Mike

    --
    ****************

  7. #7

    Marc Heusser wrote:

    Marc,

    FileMaker is, like MS Access, not only a DB engine but also an
    application development and runtime system.

    Do you only want to use MySQL as a database engine?

    Then maybe look around for all the Java-based SQL clients. Also MySQL
    lists a number of native MySQL compatible tools if I am not mistaken,
    plus Google may find you some for your OS too.

    If you want to migrate FileMaker applications, that will probably not be
    possible.

    On the up side: You are free to use Perl, PHP, Java JSP/Servlets and
    whatever else you like when switching away from FileMaker as your
    application development layer.

    All of these application layer options are not at all very FileMaker
    like, but I assume you have good reasons for switching away and so need
    to bite the bullet anyway.

    With best regards

    Clemens Anhuth

    Clemens Anhuth com.primebase clemens.anhuth

    SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklungs GmbH
    22767 Hamburg
    Altonaer Poststrasse 9a

    Phone: ++49 (0)40 389 044 - 0 Fax: - 44

    http://www.snap.de/ http://www.primebase.com/

    Clemens Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bl121t$73b23$hansenet.net>,
    Clemens Anhuth <com> wrote:

    > Marc,
    >
    > FileMaker is, like MS Access, not only a DB engine but also an
    > application development and runtime system.
    >
    > Do you only want to use MySQL as a database engine?
    >
    > Then maybe look around for all the Java-based SQL clients. Also MySQL
    > lists a number of native MySQL compatible tools if I am not mistaken,
    > plus Google may find you some for your OS too.[/ref]

    Thanks for the pointers.
    I just hate not having real relations, that's why. (Using FileMaker 3.0,
    if that matters).
    And I hoped for a nice front eind for an SQL database, like there is for
    Sybase.

    Marc