Professional Web Applications Themes

FileMaker pages print wrong - FileMaker

The strangest thing is happening to us. We are using FileMaker to create forms; copying in commonly used forms throughout the office. They are simple enough; questionaires and such for insurance quoting. When we view the forms that we make on the screen, everything looks perfect; i.e., the lines we place are aligned properly, the checkboxes, etc. But when the pages are printed out, the lines are off alignment, and sometimes are above or below the correct line, or OVER the text, etc. The odd thing is that if you zoom in the Layout or Browse view, the same thing ...

  1. #1

    Default FileMaker pages print wrong

    The strangest thing is happening to us. We are using FileMaker to
    create forms; copying in commonly used forms throughout the office.
    They are simple enough; questionaires and such for insurance quoting.

    When we view the forms that we make on the screen, everything looks
    perfect; i.e., the lines we place are aligned properly, the
    checkboxes, etc. But when the pages are printed out, the lines are
    off alignment, and sometimes are above or below the correct line, or
    OVER the text, etc.

    The odd thing is that if you zoom in the Layout or Browse view, the
    same thing happens. I cannot seem to figure out why this happens, why
    the form would look PERFECT on the screen and then print out
    completely incorrectly. Can anyone please help? Our current solution
    is to fiddle with our lines and objects on the screen so that they
    print out okay, but then they look all messed up on the screen.

    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Miles Vorkosigan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FileMaker pages print wrong

    I reported a lot of problems just like yours to FileMaker. The
    response was "we have a lot of problems in printing." That's it, no
    investigation, no followup, no nothing. FileMaker support, in my
    personal experience, is close to non-existant. And they wonder why
    more companies don't feel they can rely on FileMaker solutions.

    The problems I reported were interesting, in that it was the SCREEN
    that was not displaying things correctly, not the print. I use
    Windows. When I sent my FileMaker app to someone with a Mac, they saw
    on the screen what I saw printed. Of course, though, I designed it for
    the screen. That's probably why the zoom doesn't work for you. It
    does. It's the full view that's wrong.

    Whats@up? Guest

  3. #3

    In article <hm5ilvo330j1or8pk5pn8e99nu1il6bbm24ax.com>, "Whatsup?"
    <noreplynoreply.com> wrote:
    > On 4 Sep 2003 11:27:03 -0700, [email]alphageekmindspring.com[/email] (Miles
    > Vorkosigan) wrote:
    >
    > >The strangest thing is happening to us. We are using FileMaker to
    > >create forms; copying in commonly used forms throughout the office.
    > >They are simple enough; questionaires and such for insurance quoting.
    > >
    > >When we view the forms that we make on the screen, everything looks
    > >perfect; i.e., the lines we place are aligned properly, the
    > >checkboxes, etc. But when the pages are printed out, the lines are
    > >off alignment, and sometimes are above or below the correct line, or
    > >OVER the text, etc.
    > >
    > >The odd thing is that if you zoom in the Layout or Browse view, the
    > >same thing happens. I cannot seem to figure out why this happens, why
    > >the form would look PERFECT on the screen and then print out
    > >completely incorrectly. Can anyone please help? Our current solution
    > >is to fiddle with our lines and objects on the screen so that they
    > >print out okay, but then they look all messed up on the screen.
    > >
    > >Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    >
    > I reported a lot of problems just like yours to FileMaker. The
    > response was "we have a lot of problems in printing." That's it, no
    > investigation, no followup, no nothing. FileMaker support, in my
    > personal experience, is close to non-existant. And they wonder why
    > more companies don't feel they can rely on FileMaker solutions.
    >
    > The problems I reported were interesting, in that it was the SCREEN
    > that was not displaying things correctly, not the print. I use
    > Windows. When I sent my FileMaker app to someone with a Mac, they saw
    > on the screen what I saw printed. Of course, though, I designed it for
    > the screen. That's probably why the zoom doesn't work for you. It
    > does. It's the full view that's wrong.

    This must be a Windows problem - I can't recall ever having such
    problems on my Mac databases.

    One tip though: NEVER, EVER try to align objects with text when zoomed
    in or out - text doesn't display properly at zoomed sizes, you can only
    trust the 100% zoom level.

    Helpful Harry
    "Just trying to help whenever I can." :o)
    Helpful Harry Guest

  4. #4

    I use the technique described at
    [url]http://filemaker.advisor.com/articles.nsf/aid/08095[/url] to archive the
    report and then print from the archive when I run into problems with
    FileMaker's printing that is annoying the client. It seems to work every-
    time so far.

    Daniel

    dharlow Guest