Professional Web Applications Themes

Files cannot be opened - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am getting the error message "all the files in the folder cannot be openend by Photoshop". I am trying to print pictures using the picture layout. When I open picture layout it gives me the above message. I get the picture from PSE browser, open them, and then wanted to move them on the picture layout to print. I don't know what it means when it says all files cannot be opened, they are saved .jpg? Any ideas? Do I need to save them differently? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Files cannot be opened

    I am getting the error message "all the files in the folder cannot be openend by Photoshop". I am trying to print pictures using the picture layout. When I open picture layout it gives me the above message. I get the picture from PSE browser, open them, and then wanted to move them on the picture layout to print. I don't know what it means when it says all files cannot be opened, they are saved .jpg? Any ideas? Do I need to save them differently? Thanks.
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Files cannot be opened

    Patti,

    Usually files that can't be saved, moved, or deleted are due to them coming from a CD which always puts a READ ONLY attribute on all files stored there. From your OPEN menu, right click on any JPG (or other format) file you can't seem to edit and click on Properties (assuming you are in Windows machine). Turn off the READ ONLY attribute by clicking on that option. Now you should be able to Edit and Save, Move, or Delete this file if you wish.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  3. #3

    I can edit it, but if I take it directly from the browser and try to put it in the picture layout, it won't let me.
    I am going to try opening them all and saving them as pdf and see if that will work, but I never had this problem before, so it does make me think something is turned on or off!!
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  4. #4

    Okay, I tried saving the files in pdf and they still won't open. Anyone have any ideas why I cannot move pictures into picture layout, contact sheet?
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  5. #5

    Patti, post the exact sequence you're using, starting with where these images are stored. Sometimes it makes it easier to identify the trouble spot if we can look at everything you're trying.
    Beth Haney Guest

  6. #6

    Okay, I open up PSE and open up browser and go to Pictures which is on my desktop. I double click on the .jpg pictures and they open. I then go to Print Layout - contact sheet and click OK. There is where it gives me the error that it cannot open files.
    I used to do this all the time, so something must be wrong with some of my settings. I was doing some reading and it mentioned "plug-ins". I have no idea what those are, but I must have had everything in place once upon a time.
    HELP????
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  7. #7

    One more thing I just discovered. I can go to Print Layout -
    PICTURE PACKAGE and that works, but it won't work in CONTACT SHEET. This tells me it must be something about how I have contact sheet set up, wouldn't it? I used to use this part too.
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  8. #8

    Ah! It's not Picture Package you're having trouble with, it's Contact Sheet. Now we wait for somebody to come along who might know what's happening. I've never used it in PSE 2 and didn't know you could select specific images, so I'm no help with this one - or at least not until I've had a chance to experiment.
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    Patti,

    To cover the catch-all fix, have you deleated the Elements Pref file yet? This is the first thing to try when getting strange errors and in many many cases, it'll perform the fix: CLOSE Elements. Now click on the Elements LAUNCH icon and immediately hold down CONTROL/COMMAND+SHIFT+ALT/OPTION keys and keep them down until you get the message "DO YOU WISH TO DELETE ALL SETTINGS". Say YES and your preference settings (including those that have become corrupted) will be replaced with original Adobe settings. See if this takes care of things.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  10. #10

    Patti
    > I double click on the .jpg pictures and they open. I then go to Print
    Layout - contact sheet and click OK. There is where it gives me the error
    that it cannot open files.

    I think I see a problem; You are opening the pictures and then when you make
    the contact sheet the program is trying to open them...."but they are
    already open" ! Try not opening the pictures and then create your contact
    sheet.

    It has been a while since I used the contact sheet but I believe that you
    need to have all your jpg's (the pictures you want to use) in a folder and
    select the folder instead of the individual pictures.

    So if they are in different folders make a new folder for this function and
    see if this works.

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  11. #11

    Oops! Should have tried this first.....You can use 'open' images to create
    a contact sheet.

    PeteD

    Pete D Guest

  12. #12

    Patti,

    Contact sheet and Picture package use the same plug-ins so it is odd that one works and the other doesn't. Try deleting prefs like Bob suggested and let us know if that helps.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  13. #13

    Bob - I restarted PSE and held down the keys like you said. It did seem to do something. Now I open Contact Sheet, it asks for a source folder and I browsed for the PSE folder. But then when the contact sheet opened it went spastic putting all these thumbnail picture icons. After going on for over a minute I finally closed PSE.
    How do I stop it from doing that, and can I make the source folder a default folder?
    Thanks for your help.
    Patti
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  14. #14

    Patti

    As a suggestion, try putting a dozen pictures in a different folder.
    Then try using contact sheet or picture package on only those pictures to find the result you want.

    Contact sheet makes a sheet filled with thumbnails.
    Picture Package displays pictures in various preset layouts. It will always display multiples of the first image, until (in PSE2) you click on a picture you need to change.

    With such a few pictures to choose from, Elements may be prevented from going 'spastic' as you put it.

    It does have to work though, resizing and arranging all of the images, so give it a little time, or more depending on your system.

    If you browse to a folder that doesn't have pictures in it, or has other files, Elements cannot open these, so you may get that error message.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  15. #15

    I can't get it to do anything now, it gets to the contact sheet and freezes up every time. I never used to have to put pictures in a separate folder. I would open up the pictures on the desktop, go to contact sheet and move them where I wanted.
    Something is wrong here. I also never had to choose a source folder, PSE was just always up there.
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  16. #16

    Okay, it is not freezing up anymore - and I tried saving it in a separate folder, but then the contact sheet just put thumbnails of those 3 pictures on the sheet and I couldn't do anything with them. This is not how it used to act, I get so frustrated at myself for not knowing this stuff and I really appreciate all of you for your patience and help.
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  17. #17

    Patti, what is it you want the Contact Sheet to do? From what you describe, I think it's behaving the way it's supposed to, which, actually, is why I only used it a couple of times. Why don't you just tell us what you're trying to accomplish and then perhaps someone can give you directions. We seem to be 10% off the mark throughout this discussion.
    Beth Haney Guest

  18. #18

    Beth
    I am trying to just move a few pictures, different sizes, onto the contact sheet for priting. I don't want them all the same size, it is for a Creative Memories book. I used the contact sheet before and it allowed me to drag my pictures onto it. This was about 6 months ago and I did it alot for my memory book stuff. If I use the other layout, the picture is all the same and they are uniform in size.
    Thanks a bunch. Patti
    Patti Nykamp Guest

  19. #19

    Patti,

    The contact sheet is designed to make a sheet with equally sized thumbnails. This is similar to a proof sheet in traditional photographic terms. Perhaps you are thinking of Picture Package, which has packages with different sized images on a single page?

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  20. #20

    Patti, the contact sheet will not let you do what you're trying to do, but
    the Picture Package will, so long as you're using PE2. There are a bunch of
    different layouts available to you. The really best way is to do it Beth's
    favorite way: open a new canvas and drag and drop your pictures onto it.
    Each one will be in a different layer, and you can resize them individually,
    move them around, etc. But don't waste your time on the contact sheet; it
    will only print a series of pictures from a folder, all the same size -
    that's its only function.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast