Professional Web Applications Themes

files from mac to pc - Adobe Indesign Windows

possible to switch files from mac to pc and work with it. ( ID 3.0.1 ) Thanx much grt elben...

  1. #1

    Default files from mac to pc

    Caution@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: files from mac to pc

    Try ConversionsPlus.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    > possible to switch files from mac to pc and work with it. ( ID 3.0.1 )

    Do you mind providing us with an proper articulated question so that we know
    how we can help you?

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  4. #4

    Yes.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Gabiel,

    ID files are completely cross platform compatible.

  6. #6

    ID files are completely cross platform compatible.

    That's news to me. Sorry, I don't work on Mac anymore. However Caution, if you have other files you want to convert from Mac to PC ConverisionsPlus is great at doing this for you. OTOH, if you are going to be converting just ID files, according to Bob's comment they'll work without the need to change the extension or adding third party software.

    ~Cheers
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Gabriel,

    I can't think of one major piece of software which produces files that
    AREN'T crossplatform.

    The only issue, as always, will be fonts.

  8. #8

    Great, thanx to all of you!

    Adios

  9. #9

    I can't think of one major piece of software which produces files that
    AREN'T crossplatform.

    PageMaker, MS Office, etc. These can usually be converted by changing the extension but if you aren't sure on what to rename the extension to, ConversionsPlus will do the work for you. But like I said; I don't work with Mac anymore. I was giving advice based on my experience. It's been about 2-3 years since my fingers last touched a Mac keyboard. :)
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    All crossplatform. PM files do need to be the same version but Adobe has
    a converter for that on their website.

    I can't think of one good reason for Conversions Plus for these types of
    files.

  11. #11

    Bob,
    > The only issue, as always, will be fonts.
    BTW, from PC to Mac, as I experienced, the font-issue is resolved since the
    pfm/pfb's could simply be copied into the ID-font-folder - absolutely
    genious! But I never tried this vice-versa - can ID on PC also handle fonts
    which were packaged by a Mac-ID?

    Uwe

    Uwe_Rottkamp@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Gabriel,
    > convert from Mac to PC ConverisionsPlus is great at doing this for you.
    OTOH,

    conversions-plus does not do any "conversion" of files but generates the on
    windows neccessary extensions and vice-versa. It also lets windows-PC read
    and write Mac-formatted (removable) disks and data supplies. Anybody who
    knows that a word-file on a PC has to be .doc, PM .p65 (V6.5) etc. doesn't
    really need conversions-plus to open a PM-files from the other OS.

  13. #13

    No, you can't go from Mac to Win with Mac fonts. OpenType cures all of
    these issues.

  14. #14

    doesn't really need conversions-plus to open a PM-files from the other
    OS.

    I know this.

    PageMaker, MS Office, etc. These can usually be converted by changing
    the extension but if you aren't sure on what to rename the extension to,
    ConversionsPlus will do the work for you.

    I meant changing them manually works too so you don't even need to have extra software. The software is just something that makes it easier for some people that might not know how to fix these simple issues. Sticking to the original question though, the answer has already been posted by Bob so I think our work is finished here right?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    A program called Cross Font by Acute Systems can transfer all different types of fonts back and forth between macs and PCs. Works very well.

    Bryce
    Bryce_Steiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    PLEASE HELP!
    Am trying to complete final edits on 300+ page book. Designer and I both are working with ID 2.0.2. Original files created on Mac in ID1.5. My computer converted to ID 2.0 files. Designer had problems, so used PC version of ID to continue. I now have CD with ID 2.0.2 files from PC (.indd)and cannot open the files. Keep getting message about updating plugins or upgrading to latest version. Need help as fast as possible. Why won't my Mac open these PC files? We're on tight deadline to get to printer, and this issue is making it nearly impossible.
    Jamie_Konarski@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Is the designer using 2.0 or possibly CS?
    graffiti Guest

  18. #18

    No its not always possible to exchange files - InDesign does not save "backwards".

    Indesign 3 on Mac cannot be opened on PC IDv2.....

    Xchange doesn not work

    Not ALWAYS compatible!
    nicolemck@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    No its not always possible to exchange files - InDesign does not save
    "backwards". Indesign 3 on Mac cannot be opened on PC IDv2.....

    But that's not a platform issue, it's an InDesign issue

    Paul
    Paul_Dieterman@adobeforums.com Guest