Professional Web Applications Themes

filesystems support programming info/reference for OS X? - Mac Programming

Hello group, I am wondering if there is any reference doentation on programming the filesystem support for OS X? I tried browsing the Apple developer docs but either there is nothing or I couldn't find it. I guess the last resort is the FreeBSD source code set or? Am I correct or can something more appropriate be found? Clues most welcome....

  1. #1

    Default filesystems support programming info/reference for OS X?

    Hello group,

    I am wondering if there is any reference doentation on programming
    the filesystem support for OS X? I tried browsing the Apple developer
    docs but either there is nothing or I couldn't find it. I guess the last
    resort is the FreeBSD source code set or? Am I correct or can something
    more appropriate be found?

    Clues most welcome.
    silverdr Guest

  2. #2

    On 16/06/2004, silverdr wrote in message <inet.com.pl>:

    Can you explain what you want to do ? Because the sentence I quoted
    doesn't make much sense to me: one doesn't program filesystem support.

    The file system programming that's part of OS X is all in Darwin which
    is open source, but I don't understand what you mean by 'programming' it.

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.

  3. #3

    Simon Slavin wrote:

    > Can you explain what you want to do ? Because the sentence I quoted
    > doesn't make much sense to me: one doesn't program filesystem support.
    >
    > The file system programming that's part of OS X is all in Darwin which
    > is open source, but I don't understand what you mean by 'programming' it.[/ref]

    By programming it I mean programming a support for a filesystem, which
    is not supported by default.

    I believe that something has to be programmed to allow OS X (Darwin)
    make use of the data stored on a medium, which uses a specific
    filesystem. A lot of them is already supported out-of-the-box but of
    course not each and every possible ;-)

    In the meantime I ran across two of such programming efforts on
    SourceForge. One is the effort to bring the ext2fs to the OS X and
    another one is the (apparently inactive) ntfs support project.

    Still, if there was a kind of formal doentation / HOWTO on that, I
    would be very glad to put my hands on it.
    silverdr Guest

  4. #4

    In article <40d6feab$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    Hmmm... If i recall correctly, I think some of the file systems in OS X
    are programmed using KEXTs. (Quick Check..)

    In my /System/Library/Extensions, I see a file called "msdosfs.kext", so
    that's at least one example of a kernel extension which introduces
    support for a file system. Oh, I also see "smbfs.kext" and "udf.kext"
    and "webdav_fs.kext"...Try using that as a base and see what you can
    pull on developer.apple.com.

    It certainly won't be easy, I hope you've done stuff like this before.

    Out of curiosity, what file system are you interested in?

    --
    |\/| /| |2 |<
    mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu

  5. #5

    Mark Haase wrote:

    > Hmmm... If i recall correctly, I think some of the file systems in OS X
    > are programmed using KEXTs. (Quick Check..)[/ref]

    Yup. AFAIK That's more or less an equivalent of Linux kernel modules.
    Thus it is plainly a good place for it.

    Unfortunately nothing. There is info on writing the modules (ehm,
    ..kexts) in general but I know how to do it. What I am missing is the VFS
    interface description and the filesystem support implementation guidelines.

    Not for OS X but yes, for Linux.

    The question is rather general. I am interested in programming the
    filesystems support under OS X in general but being more specific I am
    currently interested in bringing some old 8bit related (1541, 1581,
    IDE64) filesystems to my OS X laptop.
    silverdr Guest

  6. #6

    In article <inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    I'm not sure that you'll find those, since they're not really considered
    public interfaces. I'd suggest looking at the ext2fs code because
    that's been a rather successful project as far as I can tell, and asking
    questions on Apple's darwin-development mailing list if necessary.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert stanford.edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  7. #7

    Eric Albert wrote:

    > I'm not sure that you'll find those, since they're not really considered
    > public interfaces.[/ref]

    Yeah. With a help of another friendly soul I think I found the reason
    for the permanent lack of information in this area:

    "The details of the VFS subsystem in Mac OS X are in the process of
    changing in order to make the VFS interface sustainable."

    from:

    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/Filesystem/chapter_12_section_3.html>

    Yes. It looks so. Thanks to all who responded.
    silverdr Guest

  8. #8

    On 21/06/2004, silverdr wrote in message <40d6feab$inet.com.pl>:

    Ah yes. Okay, support for file systems is in Darwin. Darwin
    is open source and you can get source code and doentation
    from various places starting at

    file:///Developer/Doentation/Darwin/Darwin.html

    There's doentation on creating Kernel Extensions at

    file:///Developer/Doentation/Darwin/Conceptual/howto/kext_tutorials/hell
    o_kext/hello_kext.html

    All these local files come with the programmer's toolkit which can
    be downloaded from the Apple Developer Connection
    (http://develop.apple.com).

    Simon.