Professional Web Applications Themes

Fill and stroke change arbitrarily - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When I set the fill and stroke for an object (such as a white rectangle with a 1 point black line), it would be nice if Illustrator would remember the setting for the next object I draw. Don't most drawing packages do this? Instead, it seems to go back to some random attributes (such as black fill and zero point line). So time consuming. Is there an option somewhere that I have to set to make Illustrator remember this simple information? -- jw...

  1. #1

    Default Fill and stroke change arbitrarily

    jim_willson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fill and stroke change arbitrarily

    at the bottom of your appearance palette there is a button for New Art has basic appearance.
    Joel_Stransky@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, Joel, I'm not seeing that. Does this appear on AI 8.0, and if so, exactly which palette(s) do you mean? Nothing in the help index on this. Thank you.

  4. #4

    Jim,

    SHIFT F6 for the Appearance palette. On the very bottom of the palette you'll see some icons. The very first is three balls. Hover your curser over it and it'll say "New Art has Basic Appearance". This is what will release these effects. The Ball with the stroke through it will "Clear Appearance." This is like an undo and will clear the last appearance applied prior to current look. Third one is the ball + ball, which is "Reduce to Basic Appearance" which removes all effects.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Bob/Jim:

    I don't have 8 anymore and it's been a while since I've seen it, but did the Appearance palette even exist back then?

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  6. #6

    Bert,

    I don't have Illustrator 8 up either and my manual is long gone as well as full memory, but I believe it did.

  7. #7

    I'm pretty sure it was introduced with AI 9.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I still have 8.0.1 on my machine. Lemmesee...

    Nope. No Appearance palette.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I have Illustrator CS and I'm a very inexperienced user--I'm taking classes and utilizing training tapes etc, so I'm trying to educate myself.

    I am working on a school project that is a Typography project. I want to be able to manipulate different parts of the text so I have created the text on different layers. My problem is that when I have my stroke and fill colors set like I want them--say blue fill and red stroke--as soon as I create a new layer and select the text tool, the colors revert to the default. Would what you are saying about the options in the appearance palette (which I have no experience with yet) be the method to work with??

    TIA,

    Patty
    Patty_Clarke@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Patty,

    No, changin the default font and it's color is not an Appearance function. But you can set the font and it's size, but not it's color as defacto "default" by establishing it in a Template. You'd have to establish it's color each time. You "can" however, use the Eyedropper on text and this will change the font, it's size, and color on new text. Have you tried that?

    After you've set your first text, just type your next text (any layer) with default font and size with it's default black color. Hold down CONTROL key (Select curser appears) and click this new text. Now release Control key and click the Eye Dropper and click on the text whose attributes you'd like the new text to duplicate. Voila!

    And Jim, you can do the same thing with your colors and strokes for new objects if the defaults have changed. But having said that, what version of Illustrator are you using, for the color and stroke should not change from one object to another, unless you manually do it (excluding text, that is).

  11. #11

    Okay, be patient with me here Bob, because I feel an "AHA" moment coming on--you know the one where the light bulb starts to illuminate.
    Sometimes I'm a little slow out of the gate, but when I do get it--I GOT IT.

    I played with what I understood you to say and it is WONDERFUL.

    1. I don't understand what you meant by establishing a font and its size as a template. My only experience with templates is when you use that as a layer to recreate something with the template being your under layer to use to te.

    2. I created several different text layers with different fonts and size etc. I made the first layer have the stroke and fill colors that I wanted. Then I did the eyedropper thing and the colors of the other layers changed to just the colors I wanted. Down side was--the font also changed to duplicate the font of the layer I used to drop in on with my eyedropper tool.

    So, it was an almost "voila" moment--so if you could expound on the method to include keeping the original font and size and just having it change the colors, I will be very grateful.

    Thank you for your patience,

  12. #12

    Patty,

    What version of Illustrator are you using? I misread your original message and thought you had mentioned Illustrator CS, but rereading it, I see you didn't say. Only CS version allows for a Template file (.AIT). But you can sort of do the same thing by making a new file and naming it Template 1.ai (or some such). Then when you set this with a font of your selection (Type, Font / Type Size) or use the Character Palette (Window/Type/Character) to set the font and it's size. It will stay like that while in this file. So Save this as a template only and if you'd like that to be the default for your next project, just open this "template 1.ai" file and it'll be there waiting for you.

    If you are not in Illustrator CS (it doesn't seem to work in CS for some reason) you can change the default font (but not it's size) by:

    To change the default font in Illustrator: With Illustrator closed, do a FIND/SEARCH (Logo key F) for Named: AIPrefs file. Be sure that you have View Hidden Files set in your FIND/SEARCH options. Then Right click, OPEN WITH and choose your word processor of choice to open it. CONTROL F and type in " Myriad" without the quotes. If you wish to make something like Helvetica as your default font of choice, then type in " Helvetica " (without quotes) and when it's found, change Myriad to Helvetica. Click Find Next to see if there is another entry with Myriad listed. If so, change to Helvetica also. Then Save as AIPrefs filename. It's best to save your original AIPrefs as. " AIPrefs.old," just in case.

  13. #13

    "I have Illustrator CS and I'm a very inexperienced user--I'm taking classes and utilizing training tapes etc, so I'm trying to educate myself."

    (from my first post)

    Bob, now I'm confused---I'm thinking your instructions in the first paragraph in the post above are if I DON'T have the CS version.

    But since I do, I thought I would ask for clarification.

    TIA (again)

  14. #14

    Now, I've got to back up. Before writing, I ran through the Template (and other method) drill and find that for some reason CS making a change in Default font and size does NOT work. So the best way to do what you wish is the first way, use the Eye Dropper tool. I'll have to do some checking for why fonts aren't working as they did before and see why. Sorry, Dianne.

  15. #15

    Patty,

    It may be a bit more laborous, but if you use the same stroke/fill colour for all texts, you may create a swatch with the stroke colour and one with the fill colour (you may name them stroke and fill) kept at the top of the swatches palette.

    With all text layers open you may then select all (CtrlA), drop the stroke swatch into the stroke box of the tools palette, and do the same with fill.

    This leaves fonts and outline stroke weights unchanged.

    I hope this may help for now.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks for the help guys.