Professional Web Applications Themes

Fillin Forms and then Email Back - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Okay, I am a little new to all this, but let's say I put a PDF I have created on my website. I would like for the end user to be able to fill it out and hit a button and the filled out form would be emailed back to me. This sounds like something that would be easy to do, but I can't figure it out. Any assistance would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Fillin Forms and then Email Back

    Susan_Engwall@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fillin Forms and then Email Back

    This is not how forms are submitted. PDF forms, just like HTML forms,
    are submitted to a web server, which does things with the information.
    The script (program) on the web server might even send an e-mail.

    Acrobat can send e-mail in fact, but I suspec that is of no interest
    to you as you expect this to work for people who have only the free
    Adobe Reader.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Okay, that makes sense. If I want the information to be submitted back to us are there options within the product for making this work or do I have to buy an add on product of some kind?
    Susan_Engwall@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Any setup that can handle HTML form data can handle PDF Form data.

    There's a free FDF toolkit that you can find at partners.adobe.com. It has details about how to handle PDF form data server-side.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks!
    Susan_Engwall@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Going to partners.adobe.com <http://partners.adobe.com> doesn't let me find any fdf toolkit. I searched for toolkit and found one link (which pointed me to some marketing thing I think) and then for fdf, which pulled up nothing.
    Please advise...
    Faizi_Crofts@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I was able to find it.. Here is a link: <http://partners.adobe.com/asn/acrobat/forms.jsp>
    Susan_Engwall@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Okay, I don't get this at all. I guess I need it spelled out for me. I don't do a lot on the Unix server or with perl, but I am looking at the directions for this stuff and it makes no sense to me. Having admitted my ignorance, Does anyone know of a 3rd party component for Unix/Solaris that will do this for me that isn't overly pricy, but requires little to no programming/script writing? I honestly just have 1 form I want to put on our website, have the user fill it in and email it back. I am sure this tool kit is easier than I think, but I need some hand holding on this one.
    Susan_Engwall@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Susan,

    Unless you want to extract data from the FDF, you won't need to bother with the FDF Toolkit. If all you want is to attach the FDF to an e-mail message, and do not need it to be securely encrypted, then feel free to contact me via e-mail. I sell for a nominal price (all hand-holding included) a Perl script that does this and is very easy to configure and install.

    George
    George_Johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    The page on the Adobe website describing Reader says that with it one can "submit Adobe PDF forms that are created with form fields in such applications as Adobe Acrobat Professional." But this discussion is saying that Reader cannot email (submit) filled out forms. Is there or is there not a way to distribute PDF forms and have Reader users return them (electronically) filled out?

    Rob
    Rob_Hecker.@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Reader can submit the data, but not a completed PDF form.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Susan,

    Sounds like you need to try formGenie...It is a script that is available in
    PHP, ASP, or ColdFusion. It handles processing the PDF form data and
    sending the email...All you have to do is install on your server....To view
    a demo, visit [url]www.form-genie.com[/url].

    .................................................. .......
    Eljon Greene
    formGenie - E-Doents Simplified
    Phone: 1.803.361.2963
    Fax: 1.815.461.6156
    E-mail: [email]egreeneform-genie.com[/email]
    Website: [url]www.form-genie.com[/url]
    .................................................. ....
    <Susan_Engwalladobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, I don't get this at all. I guess I need it spelled out for me. I
    don't do a lot on the Unix server or with perl, but I am looking at the
    directions for this stuff and it makes no sense to me. Having admitted my
    ignorance, Does anyone know of a 3rd party component for Unix/Solaris that
    will do this for me that isn't overly pricy, but requires little to no
    programming/script writing? I honestly just have 1 form I want to put on our
    website, have the user fill it in and email it back. I am sure this tool kit
    is easier than I think, but I need some hand holding on this one.

    Eljon Greene Guest

  13. #13

    Sumbit in this context means to send the form data (in FDF, XFDF, or HTML format) to a web server. The web server can then do the job of forwarding it on by e-mail if it is specifically set up to do so. Reader (in general) cannot by itself be used to send an e-mail with the form data attached.

  14. #14

    >" But this discussion is saying that Reader cannot email (submit) filled out forms.

    It is a very common mistake, but a mistake nevertheless, to use the
    words "email" and "submit" as if they mean the same thing. They are
    actually completely different.

    Reader can submit forms, but it cannot email them. There is no
    contradiction here.

    "Submit" means the same for PDF files as it does for web pages, which
    have been around a while longer; it means to send information to a web
    server.

    That web server might send an e-mail in response, so some people might
    see a direct connection between submitting and emailing, I guess.

  15. #15

    You can add a button in a form field that you can label something like "Click here to email the data". In the properties dialogue box of the button it will ask you what action you want the button to do. Choose email a doent as an attachment (or something really similar) and then it will ask for an URL to send the form to. Type in "mailto: <your email address>" (no quotation marks) where you want the email delivered.
    However, you must ALSO tell the submit button to send the doent as an FDF (Which my email software virus protection will not allow to be opened!)OR as a XFDF (Which is opened easily). When the end user "submits" the form, their browser will open the email program the end user has and then the END USER has to "send" the email with the XFDF attached to it. If the end user doesn't "send the email" you will not receive the data, even if they filled out the form and it was "submitted." With this procedure, anyone with the Reader and a web browser and an email account can fill out your form and send it to you.
    It's kind of a sneak attack to get around the fact that most people only have the free reader program.
    Teresa_Roebuck@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    anyone with the Reader and a web browser and an email account can fill
    out your form and send it to you.

    ....They also need a properly configured MAPI client, which eliminates people that use AOL or web-based email like Hotmail or Yahoo.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    [email]W_T_Allenadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:

    > anyone with the Reader and a web browser and an email account can fill
    > out your form and send it to you.
    >

    > ....They also need a properly configured MAPI client, which eliminates people that use AOL or web-based email like Hotmail or Yahoo.
    I know what you mean, *but* people can use both services from an e-mail client.
    AOL communicator (e-mail client), and Outlook both interface directly with their
    respective owners services.

    Your point is relevant that using 'mailto' isn't a reliable method. Many
    workstations will be using a web browser for e-mail. I just wanted to clear up
    your statement a little. No offense intended. ;)
    SDA@adobeforums.com Guest