Professional Web Applications Themes

Filling area with pattern swatch - illustrator grinds to a halt - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am creating topographic maps with illustrator and need to fill polygons with detailed pattern swatches. As soon as I apply these styles, my computer slows down to the point that it seems almost not to be moving at all. I tried to print a pdf file, and it took HOURS. Even with the pattern fill layers set to outline view, it is painfully slow. Are there any ways to make this work more smoothly? Link .eps files? Set it to replace at time of printing? Any Ideas, Anyone? Thanks in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default Filling area with pattern swatch - illustrator grinds to a halt

    Margaret_Bayne@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Version of Illustrator:
    Computer Hardware Specs:
    Operating System:
    Norton Anti-virus Y/N
    Network Y/N
    What is the pattern made of: Simple vector artwork?
    Rob_Hecker.@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Rob,

    I'm running Illustrator 10 (10.0.3)
    on Win 2000, service pack 4
    IBM PC, Intel Pentium, 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
    over 1.5 Gig ram

    on a network

    The pattern in question is incredibly simple: a simple filled circle to create a dot pattern.

    Some of my other patterns are more complex (eg a march symbol with several elements)

    Have you seen this before?
    Margaret_Bayne@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Margaret,

    Yes I have seen patterns slow down performance, but not for a few years.

    You have no software by Symantec/Peter Norton on the system? What kind of virus protection? Those are potential problems.

    Very important consideration is the default printer your system uses. This can make a huge difference for Illustrator performance. Try making your default printer Acrobat, if you have the full version installed. A local postscript printer would be second choice. Avoid having the default printer a network printer, although a good postscript networked printer on a fast network should be OK.

    I'm just grabbing for straws here. I created and used lots of patterns when using v. 10, sometimes numerous patterns in a single doent, without large performance hits.
    Rob_Hecker.@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Could you say some more about what kind of objects you are filling with the patterns?

    You said "polygons". Do you really mean polygons, that is, closed paths with all the anchor points connected by straight line segments? Or are you calling closed paths in general polygons? How many anchor points, roughly, would you say would be on a single object that you are filling with a pattern? (A compound path counts as a single object even if it is composed of many paths.)

    It is relatively slow to fill very complex compound paths with patterns, just as it is relatively slow to use a very complex compound path as a clipping mask. For example, if you outline some type and you want to fill the outlines with patterns, it is more efficient to leave each letter as a separate compound path than it is to do a Make Compound and create one big compound path out of the whole outlined text block.

    But by "relatively slow", I mean on the order of a minute where a solid fill might take a second. If you are seeing times of hours, something weird is going on.
    Teri Guest