Professional Web Applications Themes

filling out IRS-forms in PDF-format? - Mac Applications & Software

It seems that people in nl.comp.sys.mac people can't find the answer. Perhaps you can come up with something. I would like to fill in a form in PDF format and fax it to the (Dutch) IRS. The form is downloadable at [url]http://www.belastingdienst.nl/9229250/dl/al903f.pdf[/url] The challenge is to do it without Photoshop, Quark, Indesign, Illustrator or any such expensive professional software. Only with the standard Apple software or perhaps some freeware or <$20 shareware app. I do not own a printer, only an iBook. I refuse to buy a printer just for the perhaps 6 to 10 forms a year I want ...

  1. #1

    Default filling out IRS-forms in PDF-format?

    It seems that people in nl.comp.sys.mac people can't find the answer.
    Perhaps you can come up with something.

    I would like to fill in a form in PDF format and fax it to the (Dutch)
    IRS.

    The form is downloadable at
    [url]http://www.belastingdienst.nl/9229250/dl/al903f.pdf[/url]

    The challenge is to do it without Photoshop, Quark, Indesign,
    Illustrator or any such expensive professional software. Only with the
    standard Apple software or perhaps some freeware or <$20 shareware app.

    I do not own a printer, only an iBook. I refuse to buy a printer just
    for the perhaps 6 to 10 forms a year I want to fill in and send away.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    ReindeR
    ReindeR Rustema Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: filling out IRS-forms in PDF-format?

    [email]reinderrustema.nl[/email] (ReindeR Rustema) writes:

    > It seems that people in nl.comp.sys.mac people can't find the
    > answer. Perhaps you can come up with something.
    >
    > I would like to fill in a form in PDF format and fax it to the
    > (Dutch) IRS.
    >
    > The form is downloadable at
    > [url]http://www.belastingdienst.nl/9229250/dl/al903f.pdf[/url]
    >
    > The challenge is to do it without Photoshop, Quark, Indesign,
    > Illustrator or any such expensive professional software. Only with
    > the standard Apple software or perhaps some freeware or <$20
    > shareware app.
    Well, if the PDF is composed as a "fill-in form", then all you need
    is the free Acrobat Reader. Open the PDF file in the Acrobat Reader
    and fill everything in.

    Note that you can't save the file with your fields filled in. But
    you can print to a PDF (generating a new non-fill-in file with your
    values in it.)

    If the PDF file is not a fill-in form, then you're ot of luck. Do it
    by hand or find a program that can import the PDF and let you layer
    text over it. I don't know of any free program for this.
    > I do not own a printer, only an iBook. I refuse to buy a printer
    > just for the perhaps 6 to 10 forms a year I want to fill in and send
    > away.
    The Dutch IRS will accept a PDF file? Won't you need to print
    something when you file your taxes?

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  3. #3

    ReindeR Rustema <reinderrustema.nl> wrote:
    > I would like to fill in a form in PDF format and fax it to the (Dutch)
    > IRS.
    >
    > The form is downloadable at
    > [url]http://www.belastingdienst.nl/9229250/dl/al903f.pdf[/url]
    >
    > The challenge is to do it without Photoshop, Quark, Indesign,
    > Illustrator or any such expensive professional software. Only with the
    > standard Apple software or perhaps some freeware or <$20 shareware app.
    >
    > I do not own a printer, only an iBook. I refuse to buy a printer just
    > for the perhaps 6 to 10 forms a year I want to fill in and send away.
    You could do this with Clarisworks/Appleworks ... there are suprisingly
    very few things you can't do with Clarisworks!

    Drag a selection box around the page in Acrobat Reader ... copy ... open
    Clarisworks draw doent ... paste ... then apply text boxes as
    required in the places you want to add typed info. Finally save as PDF
    using PrinttoPDF or whatever clever way OSX does it.

    The resulting PDF form will look good on screen at 100percent view but
    when printed will show some slight pixelation on the part copied in the
    first stage, (as that is now in the form of a somewhat low resolution
    image) - still acceptable though.

    As some other person pointed out it would be surprising if the tax
    people would accept an unsigned doent ... which this wiil be ... so
    bear that in mind.

    --
    Adrian
    Adrian W Guest

  4. #4

    Adrian W <adrian.winnardbtwotsit.com> wrote:
    > You could do this with Clarisworks/Appleworks ... there are suprisingly
    > very few things you can't do with Clarisworks!
    >
    > Drag a selection box around the page in Acrobat Reader ... copy ... open
    > Clarisworks draw doent ... paste ... then apply text boxes as
    > required in the places you want to add typed info.
    Too complicated. I prefer the GraphicConverter solution, it works great!
    Just open the PDF with version 4.7.1 write text on it with the texttool
    and copy-paste an image with a signature under it. Save and fax it,
    done.

    --
    ReindeR
    ReindeR Rustema Guest