Professional Web Applications Themes

filling text with complex gradient pattern - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi - this is my first question on this site. I created a kind of moire design with two layers, each with a square filled with the same rainbow gradient, but the top one rotated at 90 with the transparency reduced. I want to use this moire as a pattern to fill lettering that I have saved as outlines (from text). I tried the Make Compound Path command, but the result looked like it was just using the bottom gradient - the 100% opaque square - and ignoring the partly transparent one, so that the pattern isn't what I want. ...

  1. #1

    Default filling text with complex gradient pattern

    Hi - this is my first question on this site.

    I created a kind of moire design with two layers, each with a square filled with the same rainbow gradient, but the top one rotated at 90 with the transparency reduced.

    I want to use this moire as a pattern to fill lettering that I have saved as outlines (from text). I tried the Make Compound Path command, but the result looked like it was just using the bottom gradient - the 100% opaque square - and ignoring the partly transparent one, so that the pattern isn't what I want.

    Does anyone know how to achieve what I'm trying to do? Thank you.
    Sally_Vandershaf@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: filling text with complex gradient pattern

    Sally,

    It is not clear what you are doing. When you say you "tried the Make Compound Path command", what were you making the compound path from? The outlined text, or the squares you were using as your pattern definition, or something else? And then what were you doing with that compound path?

    If you do a Make Compound Path on any set of paths that have different paint styles, the resulting compound path will acquire the appearance of the bottom-most of those paths, so if you were refering to the two gradient-filled squares, that would cause the resulting compound to have only the style of the bottom path. But that would be true even if the two paths were just filled with solid red and solid yellow.

    Also, do you mean that you literally have defined a pattern from these two gradient-filled squares, by selecting them and dragging them to the Swatches palette or using the Edit>Define Pattern command? I imagine you probably have, but sometimes people use the word "pattern" loosely to refer to a visual effect they want to achieve that may or may not involve an actual pattern swatch, so it is worth verifying.

    Finally, what version of Illustrator are you using? Versions of Illustrator older than CS did not allow gradients inside of patterns.

    I did not have any problem applying a pattern such as you describe to either live text or to outlined text, by simply selecting the object(s) to which I wanted to apply the pattern and clicking on the swatch for it.

    The above is made using two overlaid copies of the default rainbow gradient. I did not use Make Compound Path at any time, but it would also have worked if I converted the outlined text into a single compound path before applying the pattern. (The larger rectangle filled with the same pattern that is applied to the text is just so that you can see what the pattern looks like more clearly.)
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    Sally:

    Just in case you did not actually want a pattern fill, but just wanted to cut the letters out of the gradient pattern you made. Put live text (or outlined text) on top, select text and pattern, and in the Transparency palette menu (upper right triangle) select Make Opacity Mask. Check both Clip and Invert mask. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest