Professional Web Applications Themes

FILLS AND STROKES FH 10 vs MX - Macromedia Freehand

what kind of dope must the person be who decided to change the FILL and STROKE method from 10 to MX what a freakin goofball...

  1. #1

    Default FILLS AND STROKES FH 10 vs MX

    what kind of dope must the person be who decided to change the FILL and STROKE method from 10 to MX
    what a freakin goofball
    Boomertee Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default Re: FILLS AND STROKES FH 10 vs MX

    Boomertee wrote:

    Boomertee,

    This subject was discussed to death when FHMX was first released. You could
    Google old forum posts.

    Some tips:
    Set up a custom keyboard shortcut for Select/Subselect. Use that and the the
    shortcut for superselect (Cmd-accent grave) to navigate up and down through
    the various levels of a group. This is very helpful when you want to convert
    text to paths.

    Turn off the preference 'Changing object changes defaults'. This will allow
    the stroke and fill of groups of identical objects (such as text converted
    to paths) to display in the object inspector when you select a group and
    then Select/Subselect.

    When you ungroup a group that has a group-level attribute, they are lost.

    Avoid a group-level fill or stroke on complex groups, because the attributes
    are applied to a rough auto-trace of the group.

    Hope this helps.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Judy Arndt wrote:

    Clarification needed:
    When you ungroup a group that has a group-level attributes, the group-level
    attributes are lost.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  6. #6

    Okay, this is embarrassing. The accent grave key is the superselect
    shortcut. Am I ever going to this right?

    Here we go again (third revision):

    Set up a custom keyboard shortcut for Select/Subselect. Use that and the
    shortcut for superselect (accent grave) to navigate up and down through

  7. #7

    Why in tarnation did they remove the abilty to convert text within a group without the need for subselection, like you could in FH10? Can anyone think of legitimate reason, any usefulness at all, or was it just a clumsy accident?

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:24:38 -0700, Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  8. #8

    In article <triplej>,
    Bill <com> wrote:

    No.

    Sloppiness?!

    Another alternative is to use "Graphics -> Find & Replace" to select any
    font and convert to paths.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  9. #9

    Bill wrote:

    Collateral damage?

    The accessability of stuff in groups is entirely inconsistent, to my way of
    thinking. Select a group containing live text, symbol instances, brushes,
    objects with multiple attributes, and objects with vector effects. The
    attributes will separate and brushes will release. However symbols won't
    release and the text won't convert to paths.

    Thus the need for the Subselect shortcut. If you don't fancy keyboard
    shortcuts, there's an Edit/Select/Subselect toolbar button (square with
    three blue squares inside).

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  10. #10

    Is the Select/subselect the same as selecting with the open arrow? I
    press the "A" key to use the open arrow to select objects within a group.

    Also, can you describe the keys for "accent grave" or their placement on
    the keyboard?

    dp

    D. Guest

  11. #11

    D. Plank wrote:

    It's similar to dragging a marquee with the subselect arrow (or option
    dragging with the closed pointer), except that it subselects down to path
    level. Select/Subselect goes down one level of grouping only. Pressing
    Select/Subselect repeatedly drills down, adding paths from one group level
    to the next lower one.

    This is useful when you want to change the fill or stroke on several lines
    of text converted to paths. In that case, you need to subselect until the
    simple letter outlines show path points but the composite paths still show
    the group corner points.

    Am I the only one who thinks this is all terribly, unnecessarily
    complicated?

    It's not a combo. The accent grave key (`) is better know as the tilde (~)
    key, which is the shift version of the same key. It's usually to the left of
    the numeral one (1) key on an English keyboard.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  12. #12

    Judy

    <snip>

    </snip>

    I see. I was using the open arrow key for this. Neat.

    <snip>

    </snip>

    No, I think everyone agrees that the old way was better. I think the
    programmers were trying to mimic Illustrator's select/subselect arrows,
    which I never liked. Just like they added the pref to "changing object
    changes default" which is Illustrator's method. I like that though. Too
    bad it messes up changing attributes on grouped objects.

    Thanks

    dp
    D. Guest

  13. #13

    D. Plank wrote:

    I don't think the FH programmers had any idea the kind of difficulties they
    were introducing to long-time users. They wanted a way to attach Raster
    Effects, but didn't estimate the negative snowball effect the new group
    attributes would have on complex illustrations.

    The "changing object changes default" Pref is not new. I've been using it
    since at least FH5. I loved it. Sadly, I've had to abandon it in FHMX.

    Much of FH's traditional efficiency was sacrificed when they patched on RGB
    Raster Effects.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest