Professional Web Applications Themes

film - Photography

I usually get my film from B&H , are there any places out there that sell film cheaper? Thanks Peter...

  1. #1

    Default film

    I usually get my film from B&H , are there any places out there that sell
    film cheaper?
    Thanks
    Peter

    peter franchell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: film

    Ummm, try ebay. Otherwise I don't believe so.

    --
    ===================================
    [url]http://www.giftworldnet.com/bethsgiftnook/[/url]
    "peter franchell" <pfranchelladelphie.net> wrote in message
    news:vloSa.5545$KZ.2334200news1.news.adelphia.net ...
    > I usually get my film from B&H , are there any places out there that sell
    > film cheaper?
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    CRAIG PALME Guest

  3. #3

    Hi all
    I know this has been done to death but........

    What kind of 35mm film is the best?
    (I use Kodak Gold 400 at the moment)

    I hear fuji is pretty good....?

    Andrew

    Seeing eye dog? I need a Thinking Brain dog!

    Square Bear Guest

  4. #4

    Square Bear wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I know this has been done to death but........
    >
    > What kind of 35mm film is the best?
    > (I use Kodak Gold 400 at the moment)
    >
    > I hear fuji is pretty good....?
    >
    > Andrew

    > Seeing eye dog? I need a Thinking Brain dog!

    Yep!

    ops Guest

  5. #5

    Best film for what sort of shot ?

    Good concept and technique and lighting far more important

    Graham

    Square Bear <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I know this has been done to death but........
    >
    > What kind of 35mm film is the best?
    > (I use Kodak Gold 400 at the moment)
    >
    > I hear fuji is pretty good....?
    >
    > Andrew

    > Seeing eye dog? I need a Thinking Brain dog!

    Graham Guest

  6. #6

    "Square Bear" <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I know this has been done to death but........
    >
    > What kind of 35mm film is the best?
    > (I use Kodak Gold 400 at the moment)
    >
    > I hear fuji is pretty good....?
    >
    > Andrew

    they're all good.. for different things - how well do you kow the Kodak Gold 400
    you shoot at the moment?

    k Guest

  7. #7

    Ok, Ok, OK
    Sorry about not being specific enough

    I do landscapes, portraits, macro and candid shots, mostly indoors but some
    indoor work.
    I am pretty happy with Kodak film. Colours are good and
    (i find iso400 suits my needs well as I usually need to use a flash indoors
    and end up with some grain on iso100)
    I get good shots nearly everytime (mistakes excepted)
    But
    I was just wondering if there was a better option out there that people
    prefer. that is all.

  8. #8

    > Sorry about not being specific enough
    >
    > I do landscapes, portraits, macro and candid shots, mostly indoors but some
    > indoor work.
    all these are generally considered to have different colour requirements, ie
    portraits need to hadle skin tones and subtle shades better than say landscape
    films..

    > I am pretty happy with Kodak film. Colours are good
    colours will vary from roll to roll unless you're buying batches and
    refrigerating them. The basis of the idea for pro films is consistency - a
    major point in film choice. You buy a film here, a film there and you will or
    will not get colour fidelity / heat damage / crossed curves / any variation you
    can imagine, as the films are likely to be from differnt batches stored under
    differing conditions. For consistent results and therefore PREDICTABLE results
    you really really need to buy a brick of film of a single batch and store it in
    the freezer. Step one though is to buy a roll from a source where you know you
    can buy a whole lot more of that same batch number, shoot it, evaluate it
    critically, and if you like it go ahead and buy up for the future.

    Don't expect the next batch to be the same though .

    >and
    > (i find iso400 suits my needs well as I usually need to use a flash indoors
    > and end up with some grain on iso100)
    the grain is from underexposure if you're shooting neg. Overexposure moves the
    densities up the curve and increases the colour saturation - if you're shooting
    100 and seeing grain, expose it at 50 ASA instead and you'll find richer colours
    and far less grain :-)

    > I get good shots nearly everytime (mistakes excepted)
    of course!..
    > But
    > I was just wondering if there was a better option out there that people
    > prefer. that is all.
    personally? (and it IS personal) I shoot the Konica 160 exposed at 80-100 ASA
    or the Centuria exposed similarly, but for neutral tones with a lower contrast
    the Agfa range suits me fine (depending on the lens I'm using at the time and
    the subject brightness range). Neither of these manufacturers seem to have as
    much of a colour bias as K or F.

    Of course if I'm shooting landscapes I tend to go for Fuji for the dominant
    greens and blues..

    the best advice will be that given by scott - buy a bunch and shoot them. I'd
    recommend setting up to shoot the same subject, preferably a scene with a large
    range of colours and tones, then have them processed all at the same time by the
    same lab. Sit down, look over the results and see what each film is doing and
    how it responds to colours. You'll be most surprised at how different the
    results will be in the subtler colours (beige, mauve etc etc)

    k Guest

  9. #9

    I am a Fuji man... and I simply do not like that yellow box stuff. Fuji has
    always given me the results that "I" want.

    I have shot 100ISO Fuji neg or tran for the last 20+ years and have rarely
    shot anything else... plus I make do with 100ISO for everything... I could
    count on one hand the number of times that I have shot 400ISO as I have
    never like the extra grain.

    Have said that, these days I don't even have a film body and shoot 100%
    ital, like my company slogan says.... "Film...What's that?"

    Russell Stewart
    PixelPix Pty Ltd - "Film...What's that?"
    [url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au[/url]
    Home of the "Australian Digital Photo Of The Day"
    [url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au/adpotd.html[/url]

    "Square Bear" <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I know this has been done to death but........
    >
    > What kind of 35mm film is the best?
    > (I use Kodak Gold 400 at the moment)
    >
    > I hear fuji is pretty good....?
    >
    > Andrew

    > Seeing eye dog? I need a Thinking Brain dog!

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day Guest