Professional Web Applications Themes

Film Question? - Photography

Hi all, What is the difference between colour negative film and colour reversal film? What are the products of the film also - ie: I can take colour negatives to the lab and get standard prints, can I also do this with colour reversal film, or does it give a different end product? Also, why is colour reversal film generally stored in fridges in the shops - would I need to store it in a fridge prior to use? many thanks in advance, Rob...

  1. #1

    Default Film Question?

    Hi all,

    What is the difference between colour negative film and colour reversal
    film?

    What are the products of the film also - ie: I can take colour negatives
    to the lab and get standard prints, can I also do this with colour
    reversal film, or does it give a different end product?

    Also, why is colour reversal film generally stored in fridges in the
    shops - would I need to store it in a fridge prior to use?

    many thanks in advance,

    Rob
    Rob Wild Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Film Question?

    Most reversal film nowadays is sold to professionals who like the idea of
    having "mature" film all the time. Once film reaches it's maturity, it is
    stored in a fridge to keep it that way... The same with professional neg.
    film.

    ]You can get cibachrome prints from trannies but they are much more
    expensive than neg prints. The best idea if you intend to shoot trannies is
    to scan them yourself or get the lab to and print them on an inkjet.
    JT

    "Rob Wild" <robert.wildadelaide..nospam.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What is the difference between colour negative film and colour reversal
    > film?
    >
    > What are the products of the film also - ie: I can take colour negatives
    > to the lab and get standard prints, can I also do this with colour
    > reversal film, or does it give a different end product?
    >
    > Also, why is colour reversal film generally stored in fridges in the
    > shops - would I need to store it in a fridge prior to use?
    >
    > many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Rob

    Auspics Guest

  3. #3

    "Rob Wild" <robert.wildadelaide..nospam.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What is the difference between colour negative film and colour reversal
    > film?
    A negative results in a frame with inverted 'colours' (needs the
    printing/scanning process to get the colour how you expect it to look), a
    transparency (reversal film) results in a positive image (looks like the
    scene you shot, assuming decent metering)

    > What are the products of the film also - ie: I can take colour negatives
    > to the lab and get standard prints, can I also do this with colour
    > reversal film, or does it give a different end product?
    Once upon a time, you had to get a Cibachrome made ($$$) or they would make
    a internegative, which was a negative they take of your slide which they
    then print. These days you take your slides in to a digital equiped lab
    which will scan them and print onto 'real photo paper'
    > Also, why is colour reversal film generally stored in fridges in the
    > shops - would I need to store it in a fridge prior to use?
    The 'mature' comment sums this up as simple as you could... I can't think
    of another way to describe it. The 'pro' film is delivered at it's premium
    and keeping it cold keeps it that way. Consumer film is apparently designed
    to sit on a shelf for awhile.

    Should you keep it in the fridge??.. maybe.. I do, but it might sit there
    for months... maybe a year or so in my case as I hardly use any but I keep
    some on hand just in case! I tend to keep one camera with Fuji Sensia in
    it, one roll in my bag and the rest in the fridge. Once I use the roll in
    the camera (every few months), I load the one in the bag and pull another
    out of the fridge. I keep some 120 roll film Reala/Astia & Provia in the
    fridge as well on the off chance I need it. I keep my B&W film (except two
    35mm bulk loaders, they are in a box.. don't ask me why!) in the fridge (BTW
    I have a dedicated fridge for this in my darkroom) and we keep my wifes
    Superia 400 in there too, mainly just to keep it all in the one place (she
    buys several 4 roll packs at once).

    Cheers, Nige

    Nige Guest