Professional Web Applications Themes

Filter advice - Photography

What kind of filter would I require to prevent over exposure when using a digi cam to take photos of in flight aircraft against a bright sky?...

  1. #1

    Default Filter advice

    What kind of filter would I require to prevent over exposure when using a
    digi cam to take photos of in flight aircraft against a bright sky?

    ripper Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Filter advice

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:46:26 +0100, "ripper" <patch>
    wrote:

    The best advice would be to be careful of exposure in the first place.

    But as for a filter, use a polarizer.

    -- JC
    J Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks JC, its just that I have got a new digi cam, a Minolta Dimage 7i. Its
    going to take me a while to learn how to use it to its full potential.

    "J C" <net> wrote in message

    > The best advice would be to be careful of exposure in the first place.
    >

    > But as for a filter, use a polarizer.
    >

    > -- JC[/ref]

    ripper Guest

  4. #4

    ripper wrote:

    A polarizer could work, but you would lose light and
    shutter time may become too slow, resulting in a blurred
    picture (especially if it's a jet.)

    If your camera has spot metering, use it: that would be
    a much better solution.

    Anyhow, avoid trying to take pictures of a jet going 500 mph
    or faster at low level (typical in airshows), try to shoot it when
    it slows down, when it banks or when it lands. Never shoot
    when the airplane is between you and the general direction of
    the sun, you would just waste a shot.

    Hope it helps.

    Paolo Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:29:44 GMT, "Paolo Pizzi"
    <net> wrote:

    >A polarizer could work, but you would lose light and
    >shutter time may become too slow, resulting in a blurred
    >picture (especially if it's a jet.)
    >[/ref]

    True, the correct exposure is the starting point and your suggestion
    of correct metering is certainly adviseable. But the poster did say
    he's got a digicam, and I'd assume that (given the simplistic
    question) he's an amateur and his camera is not a pro model and futher
    I'd assume that he does not own a separate hand-held spot meter.

    If that's what he has to work with, then he might try using a
    polarizing filter, or for a lesser effect a UV filter.

    -- JC
    J Guest

  6. #6

    I did say that I had just bought a Minolta Dimage 7i
    "J C" <net> wrote in message

    > >A polarizer could work, but you would lose light and
    > >shutter time may become too slow, resulting in a blurred
    > >picture (especially if it's a jet.)
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > True, the correct exposure is the starting point and your suggestion
    > of correct metering is certainly adviseable. But the poster did say
    > he's got a digicam, and I'd assume that (given the simplistic
    > question) he's an amateur and his camera is not a pro model and futher
    > I'd assume that he does not own a separate hand-held spot meter.
    >
    > If that's what he has to work with, then he might try using a
    > polarizing filter, or for a lesser effect a UV filter.
    >

    > -- JC[/ref]

    ripper Guest

  7. #7

    "ripper" <patch> wrote:

    I just did the Dayton Airshow with my Dimage 7i. It was hazy, and I'm a
    rookie at it, so your mileage ay vary.

    I think the thing that killed me worst was just pure speed. I was running
    mostly in program mode and the exposures seemed to be doing great, other
    than the occassional, "into the sun" trip when they went passed, but the
    focus just couldn't keep up with things.

    What I got from it wasn't fine art, but it was good enough for my personal
    stuff. So if all you want are some nice pictures for yourself, you can get
    it done.

    As far as filters... I probably could have used a haze filter, if anything.
    The exposures were coming out within what the camera and the exposure
    compensation could deal with. I'm still learning, so I'm not really up with
    filters yet. I think for the shots I do most the time, I'm going to be
    getting a (or several different) neutral density filters to cut down on the
    amount of light.

    Have fun,
    Dave

    DaveS Guest

  8. #8

    The important thing is to expose for the plane and not the sky. To prevent
    the sky from going white, you could try a yellow or red filter (for black
    and white final images) or a polarizer (for color).

    "ripper" <patch> wrote in message

    Norman Guest