Professional Web Applications Themes

Filter tutorial? - Photography

So here is something I've learned by lurking, but I haven't found any doentation to verify. Can any of you provide a pointer? I have a UV filters on the front of my lenses. Do I have what I need and why or why not? I have a couple of Quantaray multicoated UV filers. Here is the nature of what I've read: Anything labeled Quantaray is crap and should never have found its way to the shelves. Avoid at all cost. Questions: True? How can I verify that? I have a Tiffen UV protector filter. Again, what I've read here ...

  1. #1

    Default Filter tutorial?

    So here is something I've learned by lurking, but I haven't found any
    doentation to verify. Can any of you provide a pointer?

    I have a UV filters on the front of my lenses. Do I have what I need and
    why or why not?

    I have a couple of Quantaray multicoated UV filers. Here is the nature of
    what I've read: Anything labeled Quantaray is crap and should never have
    found its way to the shelves. Avoid at all cost. Questions: True? How
    can I verify that?

    I have a Tiffen UV protector filter. Again, what I've read here is pretty
    much the same. Why? And how do I know. Can I read some objective ratings?
    Should I keep the multicoated Quantarays and toss the Tiffens if that is the
    only choice?

    Also, I read that B+H is good. Also Hoya. Same questions. How do I know?

    I haven't gotten Google to show me the way to the comparisons. Maybe someone
    here can. I'm willing to toss and replace, but I'd like to have confidence
    about why I'm doing it.

    RJH

    Nobody Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Filter tutorial?

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:55:41 GMT, "Nobody" <nobodynowhere.not> wrote:
    >So here is something I've learned by lurking, but I haven't found any
    >doentation to verify. Can any of you provide a pointer?
    >
    >I have a UV filters on the front of my lenses. Do I have what I need and
    >why or why not?
    >
    >I have a couple of Quantaray multicoated UV filers. Here is the nature of
    >what I've read: Anything labeled Quantaray is crap and should never have
    >found its way to the shelves. Avoid at all cost. Questions: True? How
    >can I verify that?
    >
    >I have a Tiffen UV protector filter. Again, what I've read here is pretty
    >much the same. Why? And how do I know. Can I read some objective ratings?
    >Should I keep the multicoated Quantarays and toss the Tiffens if that is the
    >only choice?
    >
    >Also, I read that B+H is good. Also Hoya. Same questions. How do I know?
    >
    >I haven't gotten Google to show me the way to the comparisons. Maybe someone
    >here can. I'm willing to toss and replace, but I'd like to have confidence
    >about why I'm doing it.
    Have you been reading the current threads on this topic?

    Avogadro
    Avogadro Guest

  3. #3

    "Nobody" <nobodynowhere.not> wrote in message
    > So here is something I've learned by lurking, but I haven't found any
    > doentation to verify. Can any of you provide a pointer?

    Maybe looking at the websites of some leading pros who's work you respect
    and admire and seeing what they use would be your best option ?

    Tony Parkinson Guest

  4. #4

    Filters:

    Buy only the best. What camera system do you have? Nikon? Canon?
    Leica? Buy only prime lenses and only filters made by the camera
    company.

    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    > "Nobody" else seemed to want to directly answer your questions, so I will

    Jim,

    Thank you for a thoughtful reply. I've just come back to an SLR from
    point-and-shoot after about a 20 year absence, so I feel something like a
    novice again. (The new Nikon N80 with a 28-105mm D is so different from the
    old Miranda Sensorex!)

    I'll load the film and do the tests.

    RJH

    Nobody Guest

  6. #6

    "Nobody" <not> writes:

    I have never seen or used a Quantaray filter, and if I saw one on the
    shelf, guess where it would stay :)

    Item, other than stopping the goolie bits, a UV filter stops UV. Now,
    how much UV do you have? If you are under the LA smag, not much, The
    UK had some, but it drowned :) If you are at 10K feet in the snow, a
    UV filter is wonderfull! Both for you and for your photos btw. So, the
    benefit is not constant.

    On the other side, ANYTHING added to the optical path will degrade the
    image. Hoya, B+W, Nikon, Wrattens, Canon, Zeis, and Leica can be
    resonably relied on to not do much damage. So they are usefull in a
    wider range of situations, as they give benefits but very little
    cost. Crap filters cost lots, so you need a big benefit to make their
    use worth it.

    On the other side, it is LOTS nicer to pick the shatered remains of
    a filter out than to do that with a front lens element.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  7. #7

    "Nobody" <not> wrote in message
    news:bf930b$8dn$unl.edu... [/ref]
    will

    > Jim,
    >
    > Thank you for a thoughtful reply. I've just come back to an SLR from
    > point-and-shoot after about a 20 year absence, so I feel something like a
    > novice again. (The new Nikon N80 with a 28-105mm D is so different from[/ref]
    the

    The new cameras are really awesome in the power and features they contain.
    I still have several mechanical Canon F-1 bodies, and I shoot with them all
    the time. I also have one of the new wonder toys in a Rollei 6008i.
    Feature after feature, so many I have to read and re-read the instruction
    book time and time again.

    The familiarity that you'll gain in testing your camera/film/lens/filter
    combinations will boost your skills and familiarity with the cameras
    features like no other process. Good luck and welcome back to the 'fold'.

    Jim

    Jim Guest