Professional Web Applications Themes

Filters & Effects palette boxes are inoperative - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Mac OS X 10.2.8, PS Elements 2.0 -- my palette well for Filters and for Effects open up as expected. Their drop down boxes have all the expected selections and the options can be selected. But that's the end of the functionality. The options never appear in the palette well dialog box. Move the cursor into the box and it turns into a circle with diagonal slash. The "Apply" button is always greyed out. Layers, Layer Styles and Undo History seem to work okay. And the Filters and Effects are all available and functioning from the application menu -- just ...

  1. #1

    Default Filters & Effects palette boxes are inoperative

    Mac OS X 10.2.8, PS Elements 2.0 -- my palette well for Filters and for Effects open up as expected. Their drop down boxes have all the expected selections and the options can be selected. But that's the end of the functionality. The options never appear in the palette well dialog box. Move the cursor into the box and it turns into a circle with diagonal slash. The "Apply" button is always greyed out.

    Layers, Layer Styles and Undo History seem to work okay. And the Filters and Effects are all available and functioning from the application menu -- just not the palette well.

    Surely that's not the way its supposed to be. Why have them if so?

    What could be wrong?

    jet
    Jimmy Guest

  2. #2

    Jimmy, have you repaired permissions since the update? If not,do that first. Then trash the PE prefs (command + shift+option as you launch PE).

    If that doesn't do it, check to be sure that your image is not a background but a regular layer (double click the icon in the layers palette to make a background into a layer) and that it's a regular psd or tiff format that allows layers. If none of that does it, post back.
    Barbara Guest

  3. #3

    Barbara,

    Thanks for the quick answer. Trashing the prefs did the trick.

    I had already repaired permission and was working on a layer. But now they both work even on the single background layer in a simple JPG image I opened from my iPhoto Library.

    I should have known to try trashing the prefs first anyway. But I'm new to PS and had to install twice to get it working anyway. I assumed something else was corrupted.

    I would guess the second install used the existing prefs which were probably corrupted from the first install attempt.

    Works fine now.

    jet
    Jimmy Guest

  4. #4

    Glad it worked, Jimmy. Actually, for a lot of people it's necessary to trash the Elements prefs fairly often. They cause almost all the weirdness in the program, but fortunately it's an easy fix.
    Barbara Guest