Professional Web Applications Themes

Final Cut Pro - Aspect Ratio Fix? - Mac Applications & Software

Barbara:  ***** Please try the FCP support forum at <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX/finalcutpro>. Also consider joining the DVD Mailing List at <http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/dvdlist>. Joining this list is free, or you may search the archives without joining. I feel certain that you will find your answer at one of the places. Davoud -- usenet *at* davidillig dawt com...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Final Cut Pro - Aspect Ratio Fix?

    Barbara:

    *****

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Barbara) wrote:

    The simple solution is to reset the aspect ratio of the bad CLIPS using
    the motion tab.

    Under the motion tab down near the resize options you'll notice a setting
    called Ratio.

    Simply plug in the appropriate number.

    I haven't done an anamorphic squeeze in a while, but I *thinK* the proper
    number was around .85 (or possibly 1.25) depending on whether you're
    widening or squeezing.

    Just eyeball it, or if you want you can do the 4X3/16X9 ratio math to get
    a precise number.

    Actually, the number MIGHT be in the manual so I'd check there first. If
    not, somebody on http://www.2-pop.com will surely know the correct ratio
    figure.

    Good luck..

    --
    Bill Davis
    NewVideo

    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    org (Bill Davis) wrote in message news:<fastq.com>...

    Serious thanks for your replies Davoud & Bill, both of which I have
    investigated extensively now (and Davoud I am searching through the
    great links you kindly offered me, but thought I'd still go ahead and
    post this in the meantime).

    Unfortunately, though, you're not rid of me yet (bad luck!). What I
    really don't understand is this: I have ‘fixed' the clip within Final
    Cut Pro 4 in this way (and with thanks to Bill I've also managed this
    separately via the Motion tab). So here's what I'm doing in full:

    I've obviously loaded the still-squashed clip into the Timeline then
    opened Sequence > Settings. Within here I've fiddled around with the
    settings to try to return my 16:9 clip to 4:3. This works perfectly by
    inputting the following new Settings:

    Frame Size: 720 x 576 CCIR 601/DV PAL (5:4)

    Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC – CCIR 601/DV

    I'm in Europe so I'm Pal not NTSC. Whatever, I then render the clip
    and then do my usual…..Export > Using QuickTime Conversion >
    Format: MPEG (within here Options = Video: Pal & Aspect Ratio: 4:3).
    The save box automatically disables the ‘Use: Default Settings'. I
    then save/export the clip under a new name.

    So all is good with the clip within Final Cut Pro. But why (oh why?!)
    does the clip I believe I've fixed – it appears perfect, as 4:3, in
    the Canvas and Viewer slug in FCP - STILL play/appear in any programs
    outside FCP in it's original, badly squashed 16:9 format, despite my
    having re-exported it, saved it as a new file etc etc etc?

    Am I being dumb here (yeah, I know I am) and simply missing an option
    between the points of inputting my new settings and Exporting the
    file? Am I not saving the options or not clicking some obscure box
    which I've simply missed? From what I've found most of the manual
    relates mainly to what to do for editing, exporting clips, working
    with them from their original recorded state - all of which I do
    actually know, having made a good few successful discs now - as
    opposed to how to fix a mistake such as this, ie re-render and
    re-export a clip. I appreciate I must be overlooking something obvious
    here…..any further ideas, please? I know I already said this but I
    genuinely do appreciate any help whatsoever.

    Huge thanks yet again for any help offered.

    Best wishes,

    Barbara
    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    SNIP

    Dear Barbara,

    I suspect that what you're running into is the diference between making
    changes in the way you DISPLAY your clips, verses making changes in the
    nature of the clips themselves.

    Try thinking of it in this way. If you drag a clip that is 4X3 in a bin,
    into the timeline and then change that timeline display through Settings
    so that the clip DISPLAYS in 16x9 what changes have you made to the ACTUAL
    clip on your hard drive? The answer is NONE. All you've done is change
    how it displays.

    The ONLY way to change the actual aspect ratio of the clip itself, is to
    open it up in the VIEWER and make fundamental changes to it THERE. If you
    save those changes, you'll get a hint of your success because any time you
    drag that clip onto your timeline, FCP will show that it needs to RENDER
    (calculate) the changes. This is because you've CHANGED the underlying
    nature of the clip in a way that the program MUST calculate in order to
    display.

    IF you want to work with the clips without all the rendering, you need to
    place all your changed clips on the timeline, RENDER them into the new
    aspect ratio, then print them to tape and REcapture them.

    Again, it's the difference between changing the DISPLAY of the clips, or
    actually changing the aspect ratio of the clips themselves.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Bill Davis
    NewVideo

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Hi again Bill.

    You're exactly right! With HUGE thanks to you I've finally fixed the
    problems with aspect ratio on all those clips I'd managed to
    personally mess up, they're all now back to their correct 4:3 mode and
    no longer squashed. I had been too fixated on what was happening in
    the Canvas rather than the all-important Viewer screen. In fact, I
    freely admit it the answer was quite obvious in the end.

    So if anyone else ever has this problem of wanting to change aspect
    ratio on clips already worked on/exported, the sequence is this (sorry
    for stating some of the obvious here but I may as well be thorough as
    I know how much hassle this aspect ration had caused myself):

    Drag and drop the clip into the Timeline of Final Cut Pro. Then drag
    and drop the clip into the Viewer. Click on the fourth tab of the
    Viewer which is the Motion section and open the drop-down Distort
    section. Use the green line at the right side of this section to move
    the aspect ratio to reshape the clip to the size you want (as Bill has
    previously said, just eyeball the clip and you can pretty much tell
    what it's right size is - be it 16:9 widescreen or 4:3). To be honest
    though I found it's best to ignore the green bar - which moves your
    clip too dramatically - and instead gently move/resize your clip via
    the Aspect Ratio bar/arrows.

    If your clip is now surrounded by too much black bar/s simply go to
    the top of the Motion section and change the scale (again via the
    Green bar or (to be more precise in your actions) use the arrows
    again.

    I hope this might help someone some day as, like I've said, I was
    completely flummoxed by this one element of producing clips.

    Very sincere thanks to you Bill for all your patience and advice, you
    wouldn't believe how much you've helped. You're a legend!

    Regards from a sweltering Britain and good luck with everything.

    Barbara
    Barbara Guest