Professional Web Applications Themes

Finally took digital plunge - Photography

  1. #1

    Default Re: Finally took digital plunge

    > I finally entered the digital photography world. After shooting a couple
    > hundred photos the last couple days, I an getting the mechanics of working
    > the camera down. I have also played with the software and am getting that
    > also . .
    >
    > I need to figure out all this photography/color/picture stuff . . . like
    > understanding white balance, saturation and other adjustments that can be
    > made with my software . . I am not looking for how do make these
    > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    >
    > Any websites that have this info available ???

    Yup. But some are model dependent so first tell us what camera you've
    plunged with. :)

    G.

    Gorham Guest

  2. #2

    Canon 10D . . . . Mainly because I already owned Canon Rebel and a couple of
    lenses that I can make use of.

    wayne

    "Gorham" <nospamthrough.net> wrote in message
    > > I finally entered the digital photography world. After shooting a couple
    > > hundred photos the last couple days, I an getting the mechanics of
    working
    > > the camera down. I have also played with the software and am getting
    that
    > > also . .
    > >
    > > I need to figure out all this photography/color/picture stuff . . . like
    > > understanding white balance, saturation and other adjustments that can
    be
    > > made with my software . . I am not looking for how do make these
    > > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    > >
    > > Any websites that have this info available ???
    > >

    > Yup. But some are model dependent so first tell us what camera you've
    > plunged with. :)
    >
    > G.

    Wayne P Guest

  3. #3

    "Wayne Patton" <w_pattonyahooNO.SPcomAM> wrote in
    > I am not looking for how do make these
    > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    Paint Shop Pro 7:
    [url]http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg[/url]

    This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".

    I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    them.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  4. #4

    Excellent choice! I'd recommend you wander over to the Rob Galbraith
    forums ([url]http://www.robgalbraith.com/[/url]) and register for the D30/D60/10D
    forum. Excellent advice to be found there. There's also a forum on photo
    editing and well, lots of forums!

    Luminous Landscape has lots of helpful material including tutorials on
    such things as color theory: [url]http://www.luminous-landscape.com/[/url]

    Here's a site on color management (not 10D specific):
    [url]http://www.boscarol.com/pages/cms_eng/index.html[/url]

    Roger's got some very helpful stuff at [url]http://www.rogercavanagh.com/[/url]

    A nice site to wander around would be [url]http://www.canonians.com/[/url]

    Finally, you might want to think about getting the 10D short course
    which may help you translate from film to digital easier. I had the D60
    one and it was quite helpful.
    [url]http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canon10D.htm[/url]

    HTH and welcome to a really great experience!

    Gorham

  5. #5

    >>I am not looking for how do make these
    >>adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    >

    > Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    > which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    > Paint Shop Pro 7:
    > [url]http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg[/url]
    >
    > This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".
    >
    > I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    > before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    > them.
    Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    checked it out yet?

    G.

    Gorham Guest

  6. #6

    > Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    > checked it out yet?
    I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    that I can't do with PSP7?
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  7. #7

    >>Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    >>checked it out yet?
    >

    > I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    > that I can't do with PSP7?
    I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    of writing scripts.

    It's hard to remember now. I went through the whole beta process and
    never once used PSP7 so it's been awhile.

    I gather there are a whole bunch of other illustration features but I
    only use photo editing so can't help you there.

    I'm glad I upgraded. If you decide to, order the CD upgrade ($10 extra I
    think) and you'll get the full manual in book form as well.

    G.

    Gorham Guest

  8. #8

    Wow! Thanks for the resources. I found luminous landscape this morning and
    spent several hours reading while my wife was having our garage sale :-)

    I will tackle the others also . . .

  9. #9

    Hi,
    I've got paint shop pro 7, and would like to upgrade to 8,
    have you a website link , please?
    thankyou
    Gea Jones

    > >>Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    > >>checked it out yet?
    > >

    > > I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it
    do
    > > that I can't do with PSP7?
    >
    > I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    > of writing scripts.
    >
    > It's hard to remember now. I went through the whole beta process and
    > never once used PSP7 so it's been awhile.
    >
    > I gather there are a whole bunch of other illustration features but I
    > only use photo editing so can't help you there.
    >
    > I'm glad I upgraded. If you decide to, order the CD upgrade ($10 extra I
    > think) and you'll get the full manual in book form as well.
    >
    > G.

    Gea Jones Guest

  10. #10

    Gorham <nospamthrough.net> wrote in
    > I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    > of writing scripts.

    Scripts does sound good. Ya know, I went to their web site and looked over
    the "New Features" section, and I totally missed the scripts part. I came
    away thinking there wasn't much new to justify a $50 upgrade. The only
    feature that jumped out at me was the tool for correcting barrel and
    pincushion distortion. Does that work well? The "Straighten" tool sounds
    good, too. I do that alot - I have to guess how many degrees or fractions
    of a degree to rotate the image.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  11. #11

    "Gea Jones" <Geajonesbtinternet.com> wrote in
    > I've got paint shop pro 7, and would like to upgrade to 8,
    > have you a website link , please?
    I know that. jasc.com :
    [url]http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/effects.asp[/url]
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  12. #12

    In article <Xns93B694E199289newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.146.1 0>,
    [email]newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com[/email] says...
    > "Wayne Patton" <w_pattonyahooNO.SPcomAM> wrote in
    >
    > > I am not looking for how do make these
    > > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    >
    > Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    > which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    > Paint Shop Pro 7:
    > [url]http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg[/url]
    >
    > This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".
    >
    > I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    > before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    > them.

    Please don't take offense Tony but that looks like crap. It is totally
    unnatural and an obvious combination of the two images. Yes, this is a
    very viable technique when dealing with a large dynamic range in a
    photo. Keep practicing :-)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  13. #13

    Just a question from a newbie in photography... about your final brighter
    picture... I was just wondering if there was evidence of a black "halo"
    around the surfaces because of a high radius setting?
    (This is in no way meant to criticise or insult...I'm just a newb trying to
    learn things about digitally editing pictures.)

    "Tony Whitaker" <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B694E199289newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.1 46.10...
    > "Wayne Patton" <w_pattonyahooNO.SPcomAM> wrote in
    >
    > > I am not looking for how do make these
    > > adjustments, but something that explains why I would want to make them.
    >
    > Well, as an example of what you can do with software, take a look at this
    > which I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) learned how to do with
    > Paint Shop Pro 7:
    > [url]http://www.mindspring.com/~focalfire/Foreground.jpg[/url]
    >
    > This was part of the thread "Making only the dark areas lighter?".
    >
    > I've also learned that prints look tremendously better if I sharpen them
    > before printing. I virtually always sharpen my pictures before I print
    > them.

    J Guest

  14. #14

    Tony Whitaker wrote:
    > Gorham <nospamthrough.net> wrote in
    >

    >>I like the interface better. I really like the scripting and the means
    >>of writing scripts.
    >>

    > Scripts does sound good. Ya know, I went to their web site and looked over
    > the "New Features" section, and I totally missed the scripts part. I came
    > away thinking there wasn't much new to justify a $50 upgrade. The only
    > feature that jumped out at me was the tool for correcting barrel and
    > pincushion distortion. Does that work well? The "Straighten" tool sounds
    > good, too. I do that alot - I have to guess how many degrees or fractions
    > of a degree to rotate the image.
    Scripts are good; the straighten tool is great; perspective tool is
    good; and the background eraser is awesome. I also started using the
    beta version at about version b2, and never went back to PSP7.

    Dan Campbell Guest

  15. #15

    "J" <jecebayhotmail.com> wrote in
    > about your final brighter
    > picture... I was just wondering if there was evidence of a black "halo"
    > around the surfaces because of a high radius setting?
    There really isn't. I thought the dark line around the blue flag was a
    remnant of the dividing line, but it isn't. The flag has a hem all around
    it that is darker than the rest of the flag - light shines through the rest
    of the flag. This can be seen in the original, dark image, too.

    I think PSP7 did a beautiful job here. People like Todd who think the
    foreqround was brightened too much (we know what opinions are like) can
    simply use less brightening.

    Keep in mind, too, that this was my very first attempt at this.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  16. #16

    In article <Xns93B755CC811F3newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.146.1 0>,
    [email]newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com[/email] says...
    > Todd Walker <twalker294hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Please don't take offense Tony but that looks like crap.
    >
    > I disagree. You are wrong. I like the way it looks. You need to learn how
    > to properly evaluate an image.

    So much for not taking offense...

    --
    ________________________________

  17. #17

    "Tony Whitaker" <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B6A70E449newsgroupstonywhitak198.99.146 .10...
    > Gorham <nospamthrough.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Very nice. I'm using PaintShopPro 8 now and it's quite amazing. Have you
    > > checked it out yet?
    >
    > I'm happy with PSP7. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? What will it do
    > that I can't do with PSP7?
    Download the trial version from [url]www.jasc.com[/url]. and decide for yourself if the
    upgrade is worthwhile. I did, and got the upgrade before the trial term
    expired. I think the new one-click operations for improving digital photos
    are great, and the mechanism for printing multiple photos on a sheet of
    paper are also excellent.

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  18. #18

    that's what I saw...and the little halo around the bird that's slightly left
    of the centre.
    and I now see the white halo around the building and lights.
    I was just wondering if that was caused by a "too high" radius setting (or
    the equivalent term...)

    "Todd Walker" <twalker294hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <Xns93B757E8F25BDnewsgroupstonywhitak198.99.146.1 0>,
    > [email]newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com[/email] says...
    > > I think PSP7 did a beautiful job here. People like Todd who think the
    > > foreqround was brightened too much (we know what opinions are like) can
    > > simply use less brightening.
    > >

    > It isn't the level of brightening that bothers me. It is the halos
    > around the areas where the foreground intersects with the sky. That is
    > what makes the image look artificial.
    >
    > If you like it, bully for you.
    >
    > --
    > ________________________________
    > Todd Walker
    > [url]http://twalker.d2g.com[/url]
    > Olympus E20
    > Canon G2
    > My Digital Photography Weblog:
    > [url]http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm[/url]
    > _________________________________

    J Guest

  19. #19

    Todd Walker <twalker294hotmail.com> wrote in
    > It isn't the level of brightening that bothers me. It is the halos
    > around the areas where the foreground intersects with the sky.
    The less brightening you use, the lower the contrast across the dividing
    line, and therefore the less noticeable the blend across the dividing line.
    The brightening and the "halo" are directly linked.

    I'll have to experiment with radius size and other things to see if I can
    eliminate it entirely.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  20. #20

    > So much for not taking offense...

    You need to learn how to state things in an inoffensive way. For example,
    your comment:
    "That looks like crap." is commonly regarded as an insult.

    You might have phrased you comment something like "The boundary between the
    light and dark parts is too noticeable to me - I don't care for that.".

    See - it's all about the *way* you say things.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast