Professional Web Applications Themes

Find by Content Indexing is Getting "stuck" - Mac Applications & Software

In article <20030722204624.24789.00000403mb-m28.aol.com>, [email]dhdowningaol.com[/email] (DhDowning) wrote: > I'm using OS 9.1 -- which I thought was supposed to remove all the bugs in > 9.0 > -- and having a problem with find-by-content indexing, which seems to have > started immediately after I did two things: 1) I'm not clear from your msg whether you deleted the old index file(s) before re-indexing. You certainly should track 'em down with Sherlock and delete them (*all* of them). 2) Having multiple system folders is seldom a good ideea. At a minimum, pull either the Finder or the System file from each unneeded ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Find by Content Indexing is Getting "stuck"

    In article <20030722204624.24789.00000403mb-m28.aol.com>,
    [email]dhdowningaol.com[/email] (DhDowning) wrote:
    > I'm using OS 9.1 -- which I thought was supposed to remove all the bugs in
    > 9.0
    > -- and having a problem with find-by-content indexing, which seems to have
    > started immediately after I did two things:
    1) I'm not clear from your msg whether you deleted the old index
    file(s) before re-indexing. You certainly should track 'em down with
    Sherlock and delete them (*all* of them).

    2) Having multiple system folders is seldom a good ideea. At a
    minimum, pull either the Finder or the System file from each unneeded
    system folder and stick them somewhere else, or hide them inside a
    subfolder, thus disabling those system folders as potential a "blessed"
    system folders.

    3) It seems to be a fairly general rule that you can fix at least some
    problems with applications by deleting their Preferences files -- you
    lose some personalized settings and have to re-set them eventually, but
    you don't otherwise do serious harm, since each application just
    rebuilds a new default preferences file. Sherlock has Preferences files
    and they can be deleted.

    If none of these helps, sorry.
    AES/newspost Guest

  2. #2

    << 3) It seems to be a fairly general rule that you can fix at least some
    problems with applications by deleting their Preferences files -- you
    lose some personalized settings and have to re-set them eventually, but
    you don't otherwise do serious harm, since each application just
    rebuilds a new default preferences file. Sherlock has Preferences files
    and they can be deleted.

    If none of these helps, sorry.

    Deleting the Preferences didn;t work. Are you saying that if I delete the
    invisible "FindByContentIndex" file, that that might do it?
    DhDowning Guest

  3. #3

    In article <20030723224604.04924.00000490mb-m26.aol.com>, DhDowning
    <dhdowningaol.com> wrote:
    > Are you saying that if I delete the
    > invisible "FindByContentIndex" file, that that might do it?
    Shelby may not have said that directly, but it worked for me several
    months ago!

    Fritz
    Fred Jung Guest

  4. #4

    In article <20030723201259.03043.00000655mb-m01.aol.com>,
    [email]dhdowningaol.com[/email] (DhDowning) wrote:
    > I'm using OS 9.1 -- which I thought was supposed to remove all the bugs in
    > 9.0
    > -- and having a problem with find-by-content indexing, which seems to have
    <snip description>
    > So, can anybody tell me how this is to be explained and how this is to be
    > remedied? Thanks.
    Sounds like your index file(s) have gotten wonked. Whack 'em and let 'em
    start from scratch.

    (Note - I'm describing the how-to for the version of Sherlock in 8.6.
    9.x should be reasonably similar. If not, I'm sure someone can correct
    my directions)

    Fire up Sherlock and type in "index", then hit the "more options"
    button. When the fresh search line comes up, hold down option and scroll
    down the list to select "Visibility" (Make sure you're holding the
    option key. If you aren't, it won't show you the Visibility item), and
    choose "is invisible". You should come up with one or more (should be
    one for each disk you have indexed) files called
    "TheFindByContentIndex". Use whatever you like to make those files
    visible, trash 'em, dump the trash, and let FBC "do de voodoo it do"
    from scratch the next time it runs. Problem should be cured.

    --
    Don Bruder - [email]dakiddsonic.net[/email] <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.

  5. #5

    << Sounds like your index file(s) have gotten wonked. Whack 'em and let 'em
    start from scratch.

    Well, I tried this and I'm still having the same problem. Any other ideas?
    DhDowning Guest

  6. #6

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (DhDowning) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Well, I tried this and I'm still having the same problem. Any other ideas?[/ref]

    OK, here's a bit more involved, then...
    Turn FBC indexing *OFF*. Restart. Trash the prefs file for it. (Should
    be FBC Indexing Prefs, in the Prefs folder) Trash the incomplete index.
    (Overkill mode - restart) Turn FBC indexing back on, set it up, then
    restart.

    If that don't work, I'm in over my head. I'm surprised killing the index
    files didn't do it for you. Doing that cleaned things right up for me
    when I was having the same kind of symptoms on 8.6 as you reported on
    9.1.

    --
    Don Bruder - net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
    Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.
    I will choose a path that's clear: I will choose Free Will! - N. Peart
    Fly trap info pages: <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/Horses/FlyTrap/index.html>
    Don Guest

  7. #7

    >A;as, I tried deleting the index file, and it looks like I'm having the
    >same
    >problem. Anybody else got any other ideas?
    Yes. Run a commercial disk-repair program like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro.

    If Find by Content Indexing crashes or hangs when indexing, and deleting the
    index file does not help, then the odds are very, very good that your disk has
    directory corruption. I strongly advise ou to fix the problem soon, before it
    becomes serious enough to cause data loss.

    Hope that helps...

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  8. #8

    << f Find by Content Indexing crashes or hangs when indexing, and deleting the
    index file does not help, then the odds are very, very good that your disk has
    directory corruption. >>

    Well, I may have solved the problem. I noticed that each failed attempt was
    getting hung up on the same set of files ( a group of PDGs I brought home from
    work). I copied them to a backup drive and deleted them from my hard drive,
    after which I was able to run the index successfully. The only question is --
    why did they just now start messing things up. So maybe they were occupying a
    bad block of space?
    DhDowning Guest

  9. #9

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (DhDowning) wrote:

    Beats the bejeebers outta me! Maybe your final termination (The chicken,
    over the computer, with a razor sharp silver sickle, whilst burning a
    black candle during the dark of the moon) wasn't quite right? :)