Professional Web Applications Themes

Finder Not Running - Mac Applications & Software

I have an odd little quirk of OS X to report and hopefully figure out. A while ago, like a couple of months, I had to force quit the Finder to get out of a sticky mess that I created. I relaunched it just fine, and while it hasn't given me any problems (or vice versa) lately, I have noticed that it isn't "running" in the dock. There is no little black triangle under the Finder icon in the dock. And when I right-click on the Finder's dock icon, I see a greyed out message that says "Finder Not Running." ...

  1. #1

    Default Finder Not Running

    I have an odd little quirk of OS X to report and hopefully figure out.
    A while ago, like a couple of months, I had to force quit the Finder to
    get out of a sticky mess that I created. I relaunched it just fine, and
    while it hasn't given me any problems (or vice versa) lately, I have
    noticed that it isn't "running" in the dock. There is no little black
    triangle under the Finder icon in the dock. And when I right-click on
    the Finder's dock icon, I see a greyed out message that says "Finder
    Not Running." However, I still have access to the desktop and all of my
    files and windows and anything else the Finder controls. When I click
    on the Finder's dock icon or on the desktop, the application menu
    changes to Finder. And the Finder is listed as running in the Process
    Viewer.

    So what's up with that? It's not grave (at least I don't think it is),
    but it's odd, and I was wondering if there was an explanation for it.

    Thanks for any input,
    mrb
    mrb Guest

  2. #2

    Default switch of white led on iMac

    hi there

    when i put my new and wunderfull iMac to sleep, the white LED in the
    flatpanel starts glowing.

    so far so good, but at night, when *I* want to go to sleep as well, this LED
    light is quite annoying

    any ideas about a workaround? software or hardware.

    please only serious advice! please nothing like "smash the panel with a
    hammer" or so...

    leo

    Leo Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: switch of white led on iMac

    In article <bjm8fl$172i$netspace.net.au>,
    "Leo" <isys.com.au> wrote:

    I just put something small and opaque on the light, like a
    dime.
    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bjm8fl$172i$netspace.net.au>,
    "Leo" <isys.com.au> wrote:

    ----

    I once had a broken indicator lamp on my auto's dashboard. The sensor
    was bad and it was hard to get at.

    I just cut and stuck a piece of black electrical tape over it and
    forgot it.

    Also, take a sleeping aid.

    I live in the city. Lights from all sources are always coming in my
    windows. You get used to it.

    DMK
    D. Guest

  5. #5

    Leo <isys.com.au> wrote:

    What does this have to do with the "finder not running" post you replied
    to?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    "Leo" <isys.com.au> writes:

    Post-it(tm).

    Or, the handyman's best friend, WD-40, er, I mean, Duct-tape.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  7. #7

    > "Leo" <isys.com.au> writes: [/ref]

    FYI, I wrote this up as an enhancement request into the hardware
    engineering's bug tracking system.

    In my case, it's a G4 tower + flat panel and the two LED pulse in sync
    with one another. It's enough light to be seen down the hallway from my
    office.
    Tom Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:59:54 -0700,
    Tom Dowdy (com) wrote: [/ref]

    > In my case, it's a G4 tower + flat panel and the two LED pulse in sync
    > with one another. It's enough light to be seen down the hallway from my
    > office.[/ref]

    Ah, then in your case, you'll be needing two pieces of duct tape :-) :-)

    More seriously, its nice to see folks from Apple reading and responding
    to issues raised on this group.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  9. #9

    In article <bjm8fl$172i$netspace.net.au>,
    "Leo" <isys.com.au> wrote:

    A piece of tape works well for a flashing LED/Light on almost ANYTHING
    blinking at night.
    Bob Guest